Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 30-30 bolt action

Boolit Master

Savage 30-30 bolt action

Today I was perusing a local pawn shop and to my surprise I found in their racks old Savage 30-30 for $225. I am certain I will go back at some point, I may haggle, I may not, but I'm thinking it would be a good buy. I didn't look at it up close, but it comes with a scope mounted, so if it looks as good inside as it does out oh, it should be a good deal.

USMC 77, USRA 79

My son has one of those... watch for the clip... that was our weak spot with Jamming.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    My son has one of those... watch for the clip... that was our weak spot with Jamming.
    +1 on that. Mine came with 3 magazines: one was, essentially, junk (a little welding and some reshaping of feed lips turned it into a single-shot adapter), one works pretty much 'okay' so long as I cycle the bolt gently, and one feeds anything that will chamber smooth as snot on a doorknob. Go figure.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

I have one that very seldom gives any feeding problems. It is fun to shoot and would be a good starter gun for a young person or a lady.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

They make a great cast boolit gun, provided that the slugs are not loaded so far out that they stick in the rifling leade - which will quickly dump the powder charge inside the rifle if such a load is extracted w/o firing.

If it occurs while out hunting, it can ruin your day.

(NO, I won't tell you how I know this. )

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Mine is a good shooter with every cast load I ever shot in it, it's never seen a jacketed bullet since I've owned it. They're better rifles than they are given credit for and I haven't seen a decent one any cheaper than $225 in a while.

By the way, they are making new magazines for them now, though I never had a problem with mine.

When I was in Army I wanted a rifle to use for fooling around and didn't want one of my good ones from home.
    I had a buddy who lived off post to store it. I ended up buying a Sav 340/4x scope and Lee Loader. Guy who had it had figured out to use 7.62s to load it with. Pulled bullets and had a measure to dip the powder. The only thing
    I had to buy were primers. Down side they were to long for magazine. Shot excellent, killed a lot of jack rabbits with it. 30/30 by the way. I've had several since in 22Hornet, 222, 225 and 30/30 and all were decent rifles.

Boolit Master
    i took the leap, and am now the owner of a savage 840 in 30-30. it has some use related warts, such as needing a new butt plate, but that's not a problem, since the length of pull is short, meaning it would be getting a recoil pad to lengthen the stock anyway! bore was filthy, and looks like it has leading, but will clean up nicely. whether i just use it or decide to dress it up, i think enjoy this rifle!

In an old Lyman cast bullet book, also-then-old Frank Marshall did a writeup involving, fancy that, cast bullets, that included a Savage 340 {similar gun to yours}. IIRC, he used a 220 grain bullt flatnosed in his lubrsizer. For "Blue Ridge bucks and bears".

My SIL's grandfather made a group-buy of 130 guns from an estate and we were able to handle, shoot and then sell them. One was a 340 and we messed around with one for a while. Interesting gun. It went bang. There was some sort of minor issue with it that I forget {feeding?} but like most of the others, it went down the road.
    Last edited by EVR; 04-17-2019 at 03:35 PM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Mines a 325 . It came with 2 mags , both OM 1950 . To date no feed issues .
    I haven't found a load that it doesn't shoot well cast or jacket , squirrel slayer to full tilt . It is a really great rifle . The 30-30 , 325 was $200 at a podunk 6 table show . 312-155 Lee , NOE 311-165 RD , Cramer #45 , 301618 w green bar 313226(? 97 gr 32cal pistol mould) , and at least 2 more I can't remember along with an 165 SST and a randomly selected Sierra 150 gr . It has a White Co peep on it . Shoots an inch like falling off a rock , all of the above with just a little bit of tuning they went .750 .

Dad found $175 scoped 222 340 and it is also an incredible shooter . 62 gr cast 2600 fps , factory 50s shoot 4 groups , 1 group size .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

The first "small bore" cast bullet deer I killed was with my 340 (actually, a Sears named Savage 340). Used an old Ideal mold of the 31141 and 25 grains of the B-West BW 36 powder that burned like 3031. Good load that shot well in mine.
    Attachment 240029

Boolit Master
    I have an older Stevens version, nice rifle. But will not shoot cast for anything. Tried multiple bullets, loads, but none of them shot worth a dang. Shoots jacketed fine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one and like a fool, I sold it to a friend. He died and it disappeared. Wish I had it back.

Boolit Master
    One of my favorite deer rifles was a savage bolt 30-30. Wish I had that one back. $225 is a good deal, for one around here, anyhow. Never shot cast from it but I bet it would have been a hoot.

Boolit Master

$ 225.00 is a good deal if the rifle is in average shape or better.
    I have one and will NOT part with it; it shoots cast and J's well. And it is light and handy when packing in the woods.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    This one is a work in progress. The stock was a little short for my liking, so I added a recoil pad to bring it up 2 length. I also refinished the stock, seeing as how the existing finish was sketchy. After stripping it down to the bare Birch, and then staining it, this stock has nice grain on it! I ended up staining it red with heavy brown undertones, and it's looking purdy! I will try to see if I can post some pictures of it after I'm done with the clear coat.

Boolit Master
    I just got a Savage 340 E today in great shape except for idiot scope mounting (now fixed). Had a cheap 3x9 Made in China scope on it. Seems pretty decent. Paid $300 for it. Turns out it's an 840 E series in 30-30.
    Last edited by arlon; 05-17-2019 at 12:14 AM.

Boolit Man
    They are very accurate rifles, triggers are very heavy,

Bed it, freefloat the barrel, get ready for a shock in accuracy!

Boolit Master
    Once the refinishing is done, the next job is to bed the action. The bedding was atrocious when I got it! The forearm band was pulling the stock at least an eighth of an inch to get it in contact with the barrel. �� I removed some wood from the bottom of the recoil lug recess and it is sitting much more in line with what it needs to be. From this stage bedding it should be fairly easy, except for the fact that it's going to take quite a bit of filler because of the way the stock is machined.

if it's got the factory side saddle scope mount i'd say its a savage model 340D made in about 1952. i have the stevens stamp Savage 340 from 1947 w the spoon handle bolt. mine likes the lyman 311413 165gr spire gas check boolit or the 165gr gc NOE ranch dog boolit on top of imr 3031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast