RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 30-30 bolt action

Boolit Master

There should be a thrust block in the stock that is designed to absorb the recoil via a vertical plate which is part of the barrel/action assembly. I suggest you shim, with thin metal shim-stock, any gap which may (probably does) exist between the wood thrust block and the plate.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    My oldest son's grandmother gave him a Savage 340 back in the late '80's. It wasn't a new rifle, but it was in excellent condition. We went to Numrich arms to get a magazine for it and were surprised to see that if the spring was inserted one way it was for a .225 I believe, and the other way was for a 30/30. Anyway, the magazine was a Savage stamped product and he still has it and the rifle. He had a gunsmith put a scope mount and scope on the rifle and it shoots very well, is accurate and he won't part with it for love nor money......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Yep, mine has the factory side saddle stamped scope mount, as well as a factory scope!

Boolit Master
    Well, the finished product has been pillar bedded with steel bedding under the action, with contact approximately two inches fore and aft of the single action screw,free floated for the rest of the length of the barrel, and sitting rock solid in the stock. While I didn't shoot the rifle before doing all these things, having shot it in the past week, I'm thrilled with the accuracy it has. With a good solid rest at fifty yards, it will put all shots into the same hole! I love this rifle!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12