RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: What was your first motorcycle?

Had a friend (good rider) that tried the Suzuki rotary. Went a ways, turned it off and pushed it back to the dealer - way too fast for him. I tried the V4 Honda but it was too tall for my short legs. Probably too fast for me too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    My first purchase was a Honda CL175 (if I don't count the various mini-bikes and Mopeds I borrowed from friends). My last was a Harley Sportster, 1974 year model. When SWMBO announced that we were starting a family, I sold the Harley and used the proceeds to install central H&A in our home. Good investment, and haven't looked back into bikes since then. That was 39 years ago.

Boolit Master

1949 Francis Barnett or it may be a 1956 James
    Made many happy miles on this 200 CC Villiers 6E engine
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Francis barnett 1949.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	240819
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    '57 Zundapp 250 cc two-stroke

Banned

I remember when I first saw one of those. Probably the strangest sounding motor cycle ever. Suzuki sure wasn't afraid to try weird things. How about the water buffalo. First liguid cooled 2 stroke motorcycle. I often wonder today with the high tech direct injection 2 stroke snowmobiles and outboards why someone has tried the 2 stroke thing again on big street bikes. the snowmobiles and outboards are clean burning get good fuel economy and last a long time and do it shedding about 50-100 lbs. I could see a crotch rocket with a direct injected v4.
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Had a friend (good rider) that tried the Suzuki rotary. Went a ways, turned it off and pushed it back to the dealer - way too fast for him. I tried the V4 Honda but it was too tall for my short legs. Probably too fast for me too.

1975 Kawasaki KZ400 twin.
    The previous owner rebuilt the engine and removed the counter balance weights on the crankshaft. It ran great but my oh my did that thing vibrate as the RPMs increased.

When I was about 10-11 there was a guy in the neighborhood people called Doc, he was probably already in his late 50's and he had the only dune buggy that I ever seen back then. One day I was at his garage and seen a old motorcycle without a engine and asked him about it. He told me it was a 1937 Simplex ??? He sold it to me cheap, I can't remember what I paid but it had just about everything except the engine. I wanted to put a real motorcycle engine on it but my dad knew I was to young and would hurt myself if I had any real power. I ended up putting on a B&S horizonal shaft lawn mower engine probably 3 HP, and drove it with a leather belt to the rear wheel.
    That bike was pretty heavy, it had large foot pads , leg bars , a pedal rear brake and a big gas tank with dual filling caps. Top speed was probably about 15 mph but it as the coolest bike any kid in my neighborhood had. I don't even remember now where it went but I bought my first car at 15 and probably didn't care much about it then. It would probably be worth some good money now if I still had it.

Jedman

YAMMER HAMMER 125 2 stroke Enduro. Top speed of 52 MPH and wrapped out.

Boolit Buddy
    Sadly enough mine was one of them ugly little trail 70s that Honda made.Fortunately I have a brother that is almost 2 years younger than I am,so when he got old enough for one he got it,and I got a YZ 80.

Boolit Buddy
    Swapped an old International Scout for a 75 Superglide in bags and boxes. Put it together and rode it for several years.

2001 BMW R1200C. Bike still runs.

Banned

A 53 Vincent Shadow.

Boolit Master

Mine was a 500CC Triumph Daytona. I fought Lucas, prince of darkness the whole time I owned the dang thing.
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master
    Honda 1972 SL70 , toughest little bike ever made. I have one to restore, but it ain't MY OLD ONE

Boolit Master
    No photos of my first, but here is one of my latest:
    East Tennessee

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789