Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pedersoli Sharps .45-70 alloy hardness for smokeless powder.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by curator View Post
    Something I have found shooting the .45-70 cartridge with both black powder and smokeless powder: Black powder loads nearly always shoot best with lead/tin alloy (BHN 8-10) at or over groove diameter by .001"-002". Smokeless powder loads seem to prefer Air cooled wheel weight alloy plus 2% in (BHN 12-15) at .002 or even .004" over groove diameter. Smokeless powder appears to burn much hotter and even if pressures are similar. is more prone to leading. Fillers like Cream O wheat and Plastic shot buffer can help with this when shooting softer alloys but shooting smokeless powder loads accurately requires attention to preventing any gas blow-by.
    I am going to assume (yes, I know,,,,) that you implicitly mean plain base bullets, owing to the relative ease of shooting cast with a gas check when it comes to leading at moderate velocities, yes? Sometimes it's aggravating dealing with them, but boy, it sure makes things easier sometimes.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you keep your velocity under 1250 FPS, you can avoid the transonic inaccuracies at midrange, usually around 700-750 yards. Trajectory may not be as flat, but those mid range targets can put you in the money at a competition.
    Air cooled wheel weights work fine for me.
    I guess I'm getting old, anything in the 45 2.1 that has the mass for long distance, I don't want to shoot more than one or two if they're going fast enough to go transonic,,,,,.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    For my Ruger #1 in 45/70 just plain wheel weights with 2% tin added is fine. Estimated velocity is about 1350-1400 FPS. Bullet is the 486 grain semi round nose 45 rifle bullet with gas check. Slugged the barrel and it's .459 and my mold only comes out at .459. Have a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps infantry rifle also in 45/70 but haven't shot it yet. Probably get an accurate mold at or near 500 grains w/gas check about .463 in diameter and maybe the same for the sharps. The Ruger wants to shoot but with an oversized bore a fatter bullet is needed. Frank

In my bfr and 1895 a heavy dose of h322 and a ww pb 500rnfp (which will knock the socks off of most unless you can handle a 500sw mag with one hand) produces no leading at all but Im also at .001+ overbore. So if you're worried about leading w bp use a grease cookie

Boolit Grand Master

Fisher

If you want to push that Postel bullet 1500 - 1600 fps with smokeless powder and stay within 29,000 psi I suggest Lyman #2 alloy, a 93/3/3 alloy or at the very least a 16-1 alloy. I also suggest you try a smokeless powder such as 4895 or similar if available.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Fisher

If you want to push that Postel bullet 1500 - 1600 fps with smokeless powder and stay within 29,000 psi I suggest Lyman #2 alloy, a 93/3/3 alloy or at the very least a 16-1 alloy. I also suggest you try a smokeless powder such as 4895 or similar if available.
    Thanks for the reply Larry, but just to clear things up for me, is that 93/3/3 parts? If it is in percentage, where do I add the 1% that is short?(I suppose to the lead)
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12