Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Moose Milk

Boolit Buddy

Moose Milk

I shoot B.P.C.R.'s and swab the barrel between shots. I have been using what people call "Moose Milk" and was told the best mix was 20 : 1 Ballistol and water. I have been hearing all kinds of mixes with Ballistol, machine oil, Murphy's soap. Dawn etc., I have tried straight water but the patch's are sometimes tough going down barrel. What should I be looking for in a patch dampener ?.

Boolit Master
    I made mine out of water soluble oil that I used in my saw grinding machines. I got a 20 ounce Pepsi bottle full and probably still have most of it if I haven't thrown it away....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Water soluble machine oil works, be sure it is water soluble. Excellent patch lube for range shooting and the water helps with fouling buildup. Never tried Ballistol but it should work fine, a lot of people use it, although it is not widely distributed and a bit $$.

Banned

i would never use any other "moose milk" ingredients besides plain water and some water soluble oil (i like ballistol).

the ratio of oil to water is up to you, and for the task at hand. i generally prefer 1:6 of oil:water.

Boolit Grand Master

The first mix I heard of was with Napa water pump lube at 20-1. Ive also had guys come into the shop asking for a pint bottle of the water soluble oil for this. My current wiping cleaning solution is ballistol water at 10-1. With the older water sol machining oils worked well some of the newer may have more preservative rust preventatives in them and be of a different make up. A very good wiping cleaning fluid off the shelf is windex with vinegar

I use ballistol and water, it works fine. Some folks use RV antifreeze, evidently that works as well. I think it's just water and propylene glycol.

Boolit Master
    NAPA Part # SL SL2512. 1 quart size $12 and change.