MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
PBcastcoReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need recomendaiton on a scope for a .17 cal ruger barrel break rifle

Boolit Buddy

Need recomendaiton on a scope for a .17 cal ruger barrel break rifle

The scope that came on the ruger air rifle did so so for about 6 months now, but it is at the point it just about useless. My normal shooting is at 30 yards (bird feeders) to 70 yards (nearest deer feeder) with occasional shots at 100 yards (2nd deer feeder). Normally I am aiming close to the squirrels to scare them off my bird feeders and out of my deer feed. If I get a stubborn one that wont run when I hit close, I do occasionally take one out during squirrel season. Just want a decent scope that wont break the bank.
    Thanks
    rdwarrior

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You might try ebay for one of the chinese knock offs . Have a couple on center fire rifles for more than a year now and to my surprise they are still going strong. A 6-24 x 50 for $30 i figured it would last a couple shots and go to heck but its really surprised me smaller ones are even cheaper.

Boolit Master
    iam with red bear $30 plus lighted red or green rings , paralax adj mil dot for hold over + free shipping
    have 1 on a 22 and 218bee

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

56$ on amazon, I have 2 of them, both have been very accurate and totally problem free. They are designed to take the double recoil of magnum springers. So they tend to stand up rather well.

Boolit Master

What works on a powder burner neccessary wont work on a break barrel. It is those really cheap Chinese scopes that come on the package guns! Not saying all Chinese scopes are bad as most scopes are made there now. Just sornd a bit more money and make sure the scope is break barrel Springer rated.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

56$ on amazon, I have 2 of them, both have been very accurate and totally problem free. They are designed to take the double recoil of magnum springers. So they tend to stand up rather well.
    I haven't bought a Hammers yet, but they are well liked by the guys that put them on Springer guns.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Moderator Emeritus

rdwarrior, it came much to my surprise that quite a few high-quality powder-propelled 'scopes are very short-lived on air-propelled arms! Specially on spring-powered ones, the recoil is different enough from that of gunpowder-powered ones to really make the scopes go out of whack.
    A good resource for 'scopes which perform well on air rifles, imho, is Pyramid. I have the UTG Bug-busters on two of my air rifles, and cannot speak badly on either. A bonus to me, too, is the illuminated reticle which actually most pleasantly surprised me as a great feature.
    One example is at: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/UTG_3...ver_Rings/4222
    Not a "dime-store" (sorry -- a term reflecting my age ) 'scope, but it's less expensive than two cheapies which no doubt won't last, and again, imho, will most likely make you happy.
    geo

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Didn't realize that air guns were tht different i have one of the cheap Chinese ones on my swiss air 22 cal air rifle its only been on there about 6 or 7 months its a 3x9 - 40 for 20 bucks so if it goes i ain't lost much i started to put a better one off one of my rifles glad i didn't. Thanks guy's yall taught me something new.

Moderator Emeritus

RED BEAR -- you are one of many (including me!) who "never knew"! While I gave a Pyramid Air link for the 'scope I have, Airgun Depot has quite a wonderful article on 'scope selection for air rifles. I copied and pasted one paragraph here, which speaks for itself:
    Air Rifle Scopes
    Choosing the right air rifle scope can be a daunting task. There are dozens to choose from and all of them have different features to offer you. To make things easier, lets examine the basics of airgun scopes. Essentially, a scope simply magnifies an image you are targeting and puts you on the same visual plane as the object. It does this by using a series of lenses inside the scope to bend the light that enters so that it magnifies the image. An air rifle scope is special because it can withstand the unique vibration and double recoil of an air rifle. NEVER PUT A FIREARM SCOPE ON AN AIR RIFLE. Now, the reason people enjoy having scopes on their air rifles is because it will help you achieve the pinpoint accuracy that air rifles are known for. So, let’s take a look at the two different kinds of scopes starting with fixed air rifle scopes.
    The entire article on choosing an airgun 'scope may be read (and I suggest so doing) at https://www.airgundepot.com/air-rifl...-overview.html
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

How about putting a air rifle scope on a 22 rifle? I put one my wifes 22. It's been holding up good.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Moderator Emeritus

BigAlofPa. -- I have a Leapers on a Glenfield (Marlin) 60 .22, and another air rifle scope on an old 336 Marlin .30-30; nary a problem with either, other than cosmetically the one on my deer rifle (the 336) with its bright yellow lines is FAR from "camo" . From what I've read, heard, and practiced it's kind of a one-way street -- the 'scopes that are designed for two-way recoil: air rifle use -- may be put on any firearm; it just doesn't work the other way -- putting a plain-Jane 'scope on an air rifle. As a disclaimer, however, one of the fellows I see shooting air rifles (a break barrel, and a PCP) has an old Weaver; another a Tasco -- shooting the evening target league for several years that I know of, trouble free. Perhaps, to some extent, a "roll of the dice" -- but note, my post was/is based on the saged wisdom of purveyors like Pyramid and Air Gun Depot.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master
    This is correct, you need an air rifle scope for the double recoil of the springer but you can use an air rifle scope on a rifle with no fear. Make sure you have secure scope mounts & base as well. I don't think a cheap air rifle scope will last long on a Springer. Now with that said, I've had a Bushnell Banner 4x rifle scope for close to 35 years on my .177 cal Beeman Webley Omega. Your mileage my vary!
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 04-16-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    This is correct, you need an air rifle scope for the double recoil of the springer but you can use an air rifle scope on a rifle with no fear. Make sure you have secure scope mounts & base as well. I don't think a cheap air rifle scope will last long on a Springer. Now with that said, I've had a Bushnell Banner 4x rifle scope for close to 35 years on my .177 cal Beeman Webley Omega. Your mileage my vary!
    As others have said: air rifle specific scope used on a 'springer e.g. break barrel' air rifle. But on a multi-pump you can 'perhaps' use a rifle scope. A rifle or pistol quality scope can be used on an air pistol, specifically a carbine setup like the Crosman 13xx. I have a Bushnell with blown out crosshairs that were on a springer, but I have been using powder burning rifle scopes on multi-pump air rifles and pistols with no issues for several years. Price is a legitimate indication of quality but not always, however the scope should have the designation that it is ok for 'air guns'. Most inexpensive 'combo' scopes sold with air rifles are candidates for replacement. If you don't need the magnification go with a red dot.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.