Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Else Like Unmodified Ruger 10/22s?

Boolit Master
    I like my takedown so much, I got it shortened and permanently suppressed after shooting it for a while. I couldn't believe it holds zero with a scope but it does. So I went on with the can. Gotta be permanently mounted over here to keep it legal rifle length. This suppressor opens up at the end so it can be cleaned.

The stock trigger is a bit heavy but very clean,to my amazement I'm fine with that.

This is quite accurate with certain (SK and CCI frag) subsonic ammo, most hyper velocity ammo lost some accuracy after shortening the barrel. Very enviro-friendly package.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190422_231232_475.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	240278

Interesting opinions and comments thanks all for sharing.

I've been considering a takedown version but don't see any real need. I like wood stocks too. I think I seen a thing online where folks converted a wood stock to fit a takedown.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post

I've been considering a takedown version but don't see any real need.
    If you ride a bicycle or a motorbike it's easy to build a "need". I like riding a bike to the range without screaming "GUN!". The backpack is very nice and discreet.

But I'm lucky to have a range nearby.

In Remembrance

Both of the 10/22 rifles I had 30 years ago still are factory plus a scope and shoot fine, they now reside with my sons. Of course I have replaced them with two more factory 10/22's with scopes because they are the factory bull barrel rifles with the laminated stocks and the twisted type barrels, one blued and one stainless.

Boolit Master
    Stock for me!
    I always got kind of a chuckle out of guys go out and spend$400 for a 10/20 then dump another $400 more to make it look like a tacticool AR platform rifle! Ya can buy a heck of an at for less than that! And still have enough for the 22 conversion if that’s what ya want to shoot.
    So Definitely stock for me! But who am I to say you like what you like.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Almost forgot scopes don’t count ! Mine actually came with one factory ! Love that gun I could, and have, shot the head of a snake with it.
    Last edited by poppy42; 04-24-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: AutoCorrect strikes again!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

I like them. My 2 shoot very well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been plinking with one since the 60s, hunting with one since the 70s, and it's a wonderful 'Truck/Trunk' rifle.
    The 'Timex' of rimfires, "Takes A Licking And Keeps On Ticking".

Some are spot on accurate, some aren't, with high production numbers & low prices, you pays your money & takes your chances.
    Well cleaned & shooting a good US made ammo usually close to 1 MOA or slightly larger.
    Copper washed or plated bullets, and scrape the wax off the bullets usually makes them shoot tighter groups.
    I don't know why, but the wax screws with accuracy...

Reliability is head & shoulders above the Marlin 60, Nylon 66, and the other similar priced competition.
    I said reliability, not accuracy.

Mine are mostly box stock, a little moly 'Trigger Snot' and they run & shoot fine for busting squirrels & rabbits, the occasional ground hog, don't bust the shoulder, eardrums or budget is you want to shoot all day.

The only thing they won't eat reliability is truncated bullets in .22LR.
    ('Wasps', 'Yellow Jackets' or something like that and their clones)
    They don't like to cycle sub-sonics, not enough recoil energy for the blow back action.

I still have, and still shoot the used 10/22 my dad gave me at 10 years old.
    It's 1st generation, and who knows how old before I got it in 1971, but it still runs fine on the original bolt recoil spring...

The ONLY other .22LR repeater I own that's lived that long is a Marlin 'Gold Trigger' lever gun.
    There are 2 or 3 (or more ?) Marlin 60s around here that need work, at least 2 Mossburgs that need work, all the 10/22s work without issues, and that says a lot...

Boolit Grand Master

Got mine in 1973 .
    Added a leather sling . Installed peep sight...eyes were aging . Next came a scope . Except for a trigger job performed by me with instructions from a gun magazine , that's all the modifications I've done in the last 45 years. I did rub a coat stock finish on the nicely figured walnut ...a couple decades ago .
    I taught wife and two children how to shoot with it , hunted many a squirrel and a few rabbits and I used it to bag the biggest danged crow I've ever seen , so big I had it mounted !
    10/22 don't need much modifying in my opinion.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks for all the replies and stories. The 10/22 is a classic to me, course they have been made since the 60s sometime.

Jeephammer I'm looking to try some moly grease, what brand do you have?

Boolit Master
    I've never been found of the carbine, bought a new one in 93 when I was in high school, shot it quite a bit, never liked it as much a dads Marlin 60. I sold it a few years later to a very good freind, and he used it for a truck/ coon hunting rifle. I've always liked the looks of the RSI ans sporter rugers, but have never owned one. I've always felt that the older Marlin 60's and 99's in good condition were a better rifle. I have a 99 m1 Marlin that is my favorite, and I modified a model 60 for a friend to be short and handy! But if you want a very accurate rifle, a modified 10/22 is the way to go, there's just so many parts for them it's not even funny!

Boolit Master

During the short while I was gunsmithing, I worked on a Marlin model 60. Lots of flimsy parts that could not be repaired, only replaced. Almost as bad as old Springfield pump shotguns. As long as they work, they are ok but I will never own one. The 10/22 is much better even though the standard carbine stock is too bulky for most people.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    My first store bought gun was a 10/22 bought on sale at K-Mart back in 1972, just before I went in the service. It has fired 30-40 thousand rounds since, perhaps more. I will never part with it while I am drawing breath. The trigger has been lightened, and a scope added, but it still has the stock barrel, factory stock and accouterments.
    It has killed a slew of ground squirrels, cottontails, jack rabbits and even one mangy coyote. Both of my daughters learned to shoot with it before moving on other guns.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks for the story rintinglen.

Ulav8r, I know it. I have completely disassembled my model 60 to replace parts and to clean it several times. I detail stripped the 10/22 I had befor and it was much simpler, and much more robust. I'm intimately familiar with both. And while the 60 is good, the 10/22 will hold up to a lifetime of service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123