Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Like Unmodified Ruger 10/22s?

I had one. Trigger was terrible so I upgraded that. Stock barrel shot patterns at 50 yards no matter what I did. Sold it to my county sheriff. He only uses it to knock down treed coons. I guess he's happy. If not I'd know it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Thinking back I have owned 2 of them both pre 1984 and they were both accurate as in 3/4" at 50 yards with a scope. Since then I have been asked to sight in several newer model 10-22 s made in the past 15 years and they haven't liked any brand of ammo I tried in them and they shot bad groups. I never had a problem with them jamming but some shoot good and some don't .

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 04-14-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I like my unmodified Ruger 10-22, accurate enough for my use. Eats and digests, any of the promotional ammo. Does under 2MOA, easily, at 100 yards. Wears a silver Weaver 2x7 rimfire scope. Decent out of the box trigger.

It was a limited run back, in the 80's, Walmart of all places had the only ones in the Detroit area. IIRC, it ran me @ $160..........run of the mills were going for $109. It's a stainless steel with green, grey and black laminated stocked Mannlicher style carbine. Rubber butt plate and black nylon sling, emblazoned with RUGER.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have 2, both 5 years or less old.

The take down had a horrible trigger so had to be replaced.
    Shoots very well now.

The other, a 50th anniversary edition, shoots well but
    I put a Williams peep on it and it's even better.

My conclusion: the new ones probably need upgrades,
    which is unfortunate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    I don’t mind them stock but I have to fix the factory trigger with a Volquartsen hahttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?380313-Anyone-Else-Like-Unmodified-Ruger-10-22smmer or preferably a Kidd trigger group. I will admit I am a Kidd trigger fanboy.
    Stock 10-22 about 30 years old, but had to do a Volquartsen. I may be exaggerating just a little, but it seemed like the stock trigger was around 12 pounds. But that's standard Ruger - always fix the trigger.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a stock sporter here that's a great squirrel rifle and plinker. I also have a target that's been reworked ( barrel threaded in, floated receiver, tighter chamber with throat slightly modified, and trigger tuned up and the mags tuned.) this rifle is a real tack driver with the right ammo but isn't as easy to carry. I also wouldn't consider it for a learners rifle

Boolit Bub
    I like them too, mine is stock, built in 1966.
    Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

Banned

We keep a bone stock one with a scope loaded next to the door for whatever varmints are about. I think it's an 80's vintage one. Always been accurate for me, trigger is acceptable. Most reliable .22 auto loader ever with possible exception of the Remington Nylon 66 my brother had as a kid. I wouldn't say I really like it, but have no complaints either, it's exactly what it presumes to be.

I don't really like the mag that much but the feel and look suit me. Not to mention the simplicity compared to my current marlin 60.

Boolit Master
    Mine is currently box-stock, with the exception that I added sling swivels to it. It underwhelmed me so much that I have fired exactly 100 rounds through it. When I return to the States, I'm planning to pimp it out. I realize that it will never be an Anschutz, but gee whiz! The trigger is atrocious, and accuracy is only mediocre. My 1948 Mossberg will outshoot it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

I have 3 of them, all from the very early 80's. The triggers were good, but left me lacking something. We lived close to Chief AJ and the man that worked with him. All of mine have had the triggers seriously reworked and have been modified for last round hold open. Otherwise, the stocks are original and have that fantastic balance and all of them still have stock barrels and no accuracy problems.

I also have a non-ranch Mini-14 from the same era. Started with a Ranch but it would eat up the brass, so traded it for a non-ranch and have not looked back. The old Mini has that same great feel as the 10/22.

Boolit Master
    I don't care for the carbines, stock or otherwise. Now I do like the walnut sporters, especially the 22inch version. As far as stock, we’ll they remain Ruger. I despise the extended mag release, so that gets swapped to an older Ruger one. The trigger is just too easy to fix, so I reshape and stone the Ruger parts. I actually like Bill Ruger’s bolt hold open lever so I leave it alone. I like the 10 round mags too, but generally use the clear ones. I shoot supsonic hollowpoints, so if it doesn’t cycle well, I may change the bolt return spring and radius the bolt. As long as I am working on the bolt , may as well set the headspace and debur the firing pin. Reshape the extractor if it dosen’t want to extract cleanly. Generally they get a tube epoxied in to act a a pillar for the action screw, and some bedding to support the action and rear inch or so of barrel. Haven’t spent a penny extra, the epoxy and tubes are in my “misc” drawer with many uses. If it won’t stay under a half at 50 with my hunting ammo, I may set the barrel back about .090 to get rid of the “stinger” depth chamber. All Ruger, but not exactly “stock”, more like “sleeper”
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

love both of my stock 10-22's, both older models. gopher killin machines!!!
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

One thing that improved mine was to "uniform" promo grade ammo (Thunderduds, Federal AutoMatch, Blazer) by swaging the bullets to a uniform .2250'. Most people think of the Paco Kelly tool for this, but I built one that works in a reloading press to get a more consistent swage. Ruger's chamber is much too large, so making the bullet fit better helps.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Unmodified - I vastly prefer the Marlin model 60. They run better and shoot better straight out of the box - perhaps add a $15 spring kit if the trigger is horrible and off you go.

Modified is where the Ruger pulls away - as it's not really practical to change barrels, trigger groups, or other stuff on Marlins. Neither the aftermarket support nor the specialized gunsmith support is there for Marlins like with Rugers.

Shilen does sell sporter taper match pre-chambered barrels for Rugers. I think that would be the way to go if your stock Ruger just doesn't group. Throw on a nice light factory taper Shilen barrel and a Kidd trigger group, have your smith mount quality iron sights on it and off you go - Squirrel Assassin.

What Ghosthawk said. I have one and my wife has one. After slight fixing they are more fun to shoot if that is possible.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    I am unable to join the ranks of those who like unmodified 10/22 rifles , I've had surplus rifles with better triggers than this one had . I can agree that the Sporter model does feel nice though .

Jack

The one I have I only wanted for the blond tiger striped stock. The fellow that had it finally sold it to me as he couldn’t stand the accuracy. He gave it to me with a magazine of his ammo. He buys the cheapest ammo made and showed me an example of the lame accuracy with a target, probaly 2.5” at 50 yards.

I cleaned it ( he didn’t know how to strip it) and tried a bunch of ammo I had. It would shoot but like most Ruger rimfires the trigger was really bad. I showed him my targets and explained he needed to buy better ammo. He still didn’t want the gun back which was fine by me. I did replace the sear and spring with a kit. Much more friendly to shoot but still not bolt action nice.

The rest is still stock. I did swap the scope out too, it came with Chinese something in silver and I replaced it with a Nikon.

I bought a older used walnut stocked one the day I turned 18. Nevermind what year. I loved that gun even with its creepy trigger. Till I scoped it and tested the accuracy from the bench. Then I knew why I was missing quite a few turtle heads. My Nylon 66 was (is) twice as accurate. The last one I owned was a very nice stainless International that I traded for a Remington 700.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My answer is both "yes" and "no". I went squirrel hunting once with a fellow who had one of the more expensive models. He shot several of them through the head that were high up in walnut trees. I was very impressed and bought one when they next came on sale. Sadly, mine wouldn't do well at all, so I sold it and bought a Glenfield Mod. 60 which proved to be the tack driver I had wished the Ruger to be. Still have the Glenfield!

Boolit Master
    The only modification I made to mine was to put a 1" 4x Tasco scope on it when I bought it. I'm happy with it like it came from the box!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast