RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Graphite coated lead shot

Boolit Master

Graphite coated lead shot

With my new project I'm looking at using graphite coated lead shot to balance the core weights, however I'm perusing core bonding instead of core seating to try to eliminate an additional die. I'll be using a Lee lead pot to keep the bonding process at around 100 more or less at a time.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master

the core bonding is all good but you may still need to core seat the projectile as this step also does some of the forming. as to using graphite shot to add weight, I personally would just snip pieces of clean pure lead.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    That's what I do.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I have had trouble with that shot. Graphite is a thermal insulator, so you have to run your melt hotter. Most of it comes off and sticks to the pot, so your next batch is hotter yet. You might try washing it first.

Washing the shot should remove the graphite, especially if you put a couple drops of Dawn detergent in the mix. Around here, any shot that hits the ground and gets rained on has the graphite removed as soon as the rain hits it.

I've used shot to even out cores in the past, but it was for some handgun bullets, so bonding wasn't an issue. They were mostly used for shooting paper, dirt clods and pieces of clay targets on the berm.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

If a bonded core you might go the other way set up a case trimmer with stop in collet and pour core a little heavy and use the trimmer to cut core down to desired weight. Once set it should repeat very close and no loose parts of core to deal with.
    A trimmer with the collet modified to hold bullet Base against a stop and a simple face cutter or spade just under jacket ID would trim cores to the same hieght from the base and should be very accurate weight wise.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    the core bonding is all good but you may still need to core seat the projectile as this step also does some of the forming. as to using graphite shot to add weight, I personally would just snip pieces of clean pure lead.
    I was just thinking core bonding would be a better way to compensate for varied internal diameter of trimmed casing jackets. Taking the need for the core seating die, what diameter would the seating die be for the .358.