WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Power Pistol in S&W 642 - observations

Power Pistol in S&W 642 - observations

Loaded ten 38 Special cartridges using 5.0 grs Power Pistol and 158 gr Hornady LSWCHP. My average velocity was 775 FPS in 1 7/8 inch S&W 642 which duplicates Win/Rem loads in this barrel length. My +P loading using 5.6 grs Power Pistol was approximately 835 FPS. Temp was 70F, nice day for outdoor shooting.

Was surprised by the high velocities obtained using Power Pistol in my S&W 642.

Appreciate your experiences with Power Pistol in snub noses.

I keep scratching my head when it comes to chronographing...many variables. How I wish that I could use one of the commercial ammunition manufacturer’s test environments to chronograph and pressure test loads...very unlikely to no chance.

Thank you
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 04-14-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Banned
    I can't comment on Power Pistol because I don't use it. I will say that when I was routinely using a chronograph I was often surprised with the results I obtained. Some combinations produced higher velocities than the manuals suggested.

Boolit Grand Master
    With a 158 grain LSWC, 5,4 grains is top end standard pressure and 6.0 top end Plus P.

Try chronoing with powder near bullet then powder near primer and prepare yourself for some info that will keep your head itching.

...unusual that I’m duplicating factory +P velocities using a standard pressure (5.0 grs PP) load. I shouldn’t be complaining. I got the load from Handloader #302 Oct 2016, 38 Spl table II (within range specified). Since it is duplicating Win/Rem “FBI” loadings in my 1 7/8 inch 642, it makes for a nice practice round for these commercial versions.

Boolit Grand Master
    I may suggest that at least with 4.7 grains Unique in the rear of the case, 810 fps is obtained with 158s in the same barrel length. This is standard pressure as well.

...I’ll load some at Unique 4.7 grs as well. Looks like 4.7 grs duplicates the FBI loads in snub 38 barrels. Thank you for the lead.

I have been using PowerPistol in both a 638 and a 442, but not with 158s. I've always found the 158s pretty harsh in the airweights. But 125-140 not that bad.

In 135-140 grain loadings using the SpeerGold dot, the Lee 140 grain SWC (really truncated cone if you ask me), and the SAECO 383, 6.6 grains of PowerPistol has flung these out at 950+FPS. This is a +P loading.

My thinking is that if you can get the Speer 135 grain GoldDot going 900 FPS or greater you have a solid self-defense round.

If you an get a lead bullet with the same POI/velocity you have yourself a solid practice round.

I am currently experimenting with faster powders, specifically TiteGroup, to see if I can get 900 FPS with less fire and flash and better consistency.

One thing is for sure you got to watch it with that stuff. A double charge would look hardly any different.