MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: Need Light loads for Damascus 10 gauge and Winchester 1887 12 gauge PLEASE.

Need Light loads for Damascus 10 gauge and Winchester 1887 12 gauge PLEASE.

I looked everywhere on forums for light loads around 5000-6000 psi for my damascus barrel 10 gauge. ALOT of people have loads but they are all discontinued powders or they mention the loads, but leave out the amount of powder they use.

I have a Hodgon powder supplier not to far from me. I can get IMR red, clays... etc. I just need to know what I can use. Most people mention IMR PB or another IMR powder that is no longer in production.

Im tired of cleaning the **** BP.

Id like loads for my 12 gauge also.

10 gauge is 2 7/8 chamber
    12 gauge is 2 5/8.
    Thanks

Banned
    Contact Double Gun Journal. A few years ago they had a whole series on safe smokeless loads in twist steel guns. Back issues not cheap but these are exhaustive tests that answer every question and clear up every myth.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Sorry the lightest load i have is 7050 psi with 30.0 gr herco and federal hulls . And i will say you are braver than me i will not pull the trigger on a Damascus barrel but thats just me i know a lot of people like them.

Boolit Master
    For the 10 gauge my light load is a 2 7/8” Hull with 18.6 grains Red Dot . SP-10 wad with THREE 16 gauge 1/8” thick card wads in the bottom of the shot cup , then 1 1/8 ounce birdshot with a 10 gauge overshot card on top to keep the folded crimp flat . Works well for me in a number of damascus and steel twist guns . The two oldest were made in 1881 if that makes you feel any better . That load has worked well for me in the 10 for skeet , trap , sporting and dove . Matter of fact all four of the guns in my avatar are Parker 10’s all made from 1889-1899 and all have shot the load I mention above .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I also use a slightly heavier load same Hull and wad with 30 grains SR7625 and one 1/8” 16 gauge wad 1 1/4 ounce shot and overcard . That load works well with birdshot , weighed Bismuth and buckshot or slugs as long as they don’t exceed 1 1/2 ounces .

Boolit Buddy

Check with Ballistic Products as they have a huge assortment of reloading info and may have some low pressure loads.

Boolit Grand Master

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/shotgun

Gauge: 10
    Lead Shot 1 1/4 oz.
    Manufacturer
    Powder
    Primer
    Wad

Grs.
    Pressure
    Vel. (ft/s)
    IMR
    IMR Blue
    Fed. 209A
    REM SP10 + 1-16 GA .250" FIBER

7,400 PSI
    Hodgdon
    Longshot
    Fed. 209A

6,500 PSI
    Gauge: 10
    Lead Shot 1 1/4 oz
    Manufacturer
    Powder
    Primer
    Wad

Grs.
    Pressure
    Vel. (ft/s)
    Winchester
    Fed. 209A

6,700 PSI
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    Check with Ballistic Products as they have a huge assortment of reloading info and may have some low pressure loads.
    I looked at that site but its only a white page that resembles a letter detailing what are in their loads... No actual loads. Every link I click on brings me to the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I also use a slightly heavier load same Hull and wad with 30 grains SR7625 and one 1/8” 16 gauge wad 1 1/4 ounce shot and overcard . That load works well with birdshot , weighed Bismuth and buckshot or slugs as long as they don’t exceed 1 1/2 ounces .
    Do you think I could add more red dot instead of that powder? Il go buy some IMR red soon enough. I have some birdshot and #4 buckshot I casted. Id like a load for targets/ small game if possible.

Banned
    The alternative that works well is to buy chamber inserts to shoot a smaller gauge shell. I use 12 ga inserts in my 10s and 20 ga in my 12s. Contrary to what you might think they pattern just fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PBlover429 View Post
    The alternative that works well is to buy chamber inserts to shoot a smaller gauge shell. I use 12 ga inserts in my 10s and 20 ga in my 12s. Contrary to what you might think they pattern just fine.
    Briley makes little shorty tubes for the 12 so you can shoot 20 , 28 and 410 . These are slightly longer then chamber inserts or gauge mates whatever you wish to call them . The Briley things work very well and I have no complaints about the ones that fit just the chamber .

Or, one could try loading with a clean burning BP substitute like Black MZ.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Briley makes little shorty tubes for the 12 so you can shoot 20 , 28 and 410 . These are slightly longer then chamber inserts or gauge mates whatever you wish to call them . The Briley things work very well and I have no complaints about the ones that fit just the chamber .
    Could I shoot modern loads with an insert? It would add more thickness to the chambers.