RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: boresnake question

Boolit Master

boresnake question

think this is the right spot.

I use a bore snake for my 30cal rifles and I dip a tiny section of it in hoppes prior to pulling it through and it works fine and all, except for when I try to wash the thing the part where hoppes was, it coagulates? and turns into some gross looking white paste and I have to squish it out cause it don't dissolve away and ya, one of the stranger problems ive had about shooting. what do I do ?

When I use bore snakes I generally don't use solvents. I generally use remoil or another all in one clp. I use bore snakes as maintenance to refresh my bore and keep it from rusting between proper cleanings.

I have used a bore snake with hoppes 9 if I recall back and I don't remember any issues. Are you using a hoppes brand bore snake or a cheap knockoff?

Boolit Master
    you could try washing it in alcohol first. I myself would never use a bore snake, I have seen two snap off in barrels and there is the question of the damage they do being pulled out of the muzzle and wearing the crown area. There are those who will argue this, but I believe there is enough evidence to at least suspect that a carbon encrusted bore snake being used over and over again is going to destroy the barrels accuracy. Get a good cleaning rod brushes and jag and your barrel will reward you with years of accurate service, and remember we only pass the soaked patch up the barrel once and remove it before removing the rod thereby not running the carbon encrusted patch back through our barrel. It was not my intention to offend you by this, just give you a heads up on a time tested method that still works. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    its boresnake brand, I thought it would be a normal thing to do, to put hoppes on it and wash it later but it seems like it reacts with soap?

Boolit Master

I have some of the Hoppes snakes. Have not used them. Im old school lol. They were gifts.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    That cleaning procedure is basically what im doin, guess i need to try washing detergent instead of soap water

Boolit Buddy

Brake Kleen works fast and no moisture
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would think hoppes would be ok. I use bore snakes to clean my guns to. I use lube-v cleaning oil with good results. I would think that some sort of solvent alcohol mineral spirits ect. Don't use hoppes much anymore wife hates the smell and it just ain't worth it. An oh yes she is the boss.

Boolit Buddy

The idea of reusing a bore snake with old solvent and crud in it, is kinda like putting on a wet swim suit. Yuck.

Banned
    People wash bore snakes?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oconeedan View Post
    The idea of reusing a bore snake with old solvent and crud in it, is kinda like putting on a wet swim suit. Yuck.
    ........... using a dirty mop to mop the floor with.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    I have had this happen also. I thank its the solvent mixing with the fat in the hand soap or dish detergent or the oil that’s what is doing it.it washed off easily so no big deal for me. I just wash rinse and let dry.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to add I now use dawn dish soap. I still get the white gunk out of it but I use a lot of dawn squish it in the bore snake rinse and repeat with the dawn and use hot water it washes away fine

Boolit Buddy

I use Simple Green to clean my Bore Snakes. Soak them for about 20 minutes.
    I usually use them at the range, in between different loads. Checking for leading.
    CLP is what I usually use on them.

Boolit Grand Master

I would try rinsing it in a cleaning solvent acetone, mineral spirits, or similar first wring out and then wash. Another option might be a pass thru an ultrasonic with the degreasing solvent. Heat and vibrations may do a quick cleaning.

I have Otis kits in my High power stools and range boxes for use. On firearms that cant be cleaned from the breech they work good and don't push fouling into the actions. Like any rod from the muzzle care must be used to avid damage. Even a cleaning rod improperly used will damage a crown or muzzle. My Otis kits use standard brushes and mops so cleaning them isn't a big deal. One Otis kit does allwith the right brushes and mops.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by nun2kute View Post
    ........... using a dirty mop to mop the floor with.
    That is referred to as BLENDING. It may not be clean but it all looks the same.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I wash them after every use use dish detergent they come out clean. At least they look clean.

Boolit Master
    Eds Red?

I also have a few of them assorted sizes from .22 cal to 12ga, and maybe even a 30-06 one too, from past Christmas gifts over the years & have not ever used them. I still have a lot of regular gun cleaning products I am working on using first.

I think I am going to try them out a couple times to see how they do, now that this topic was brought up.

I m going to use Eds Red though.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I have about six of them. I'll use them with one other two passes then get down to cleaning the traditional way, but I first use some foaming bore cleaner. After it soaks a bit I'll use a patch pusher. I'm generally a bit surprised at the filth that comes out. Three or four times then a few more patches with Kroil and when they come out clean I'll use a bit of RemOil on the last patch. Also RemOil on the outside of the barrel. No WD-40 for me. I'll save that for door hinges or something.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast