WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to use 125gr load data for 124 gr lead cast?

Boolit Mold

Is it safe to use 125gr load data for 124 gr lead cast?

So I'm having troubles finding proper load data. I cast my own bullets from a 2 cavity .356 124gr round nose mold from Lee. They came out just fine, I dropped them immediately in water cuz some light research says that's helpful. The lead content is... unknown. I bought about 10 ingots from my local shop. Some were labeled WW which I assume are wheel weights. And some were labeled 60/40. Either way this was just a proof of concept for plinking ammo. I'm using Titegroup and I'm using the load data that came with the Lee dies as the data on the powder has 115gr and I can't seem to narrow down two consistent sources. I just kinda started with 3.6 as that was what the Lee insert said was for a 125gr Lead Cast bullet. Is this safe? What should I adjust? I also have die questions but those are for a different place on the forum I'd assume. :P

Boolit Bub
    You probably have the same Lee mold I have. It sounds like it anyways. I use the 124gr data with no issues.

It is generally accepted and safe practice to use the next higher weight data for a bullet weight that doesn’t have data. But, that is usually for more of a weight difference than 1 gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    First, it's extremely unlikely that your cast bullets actually weight 124 grains. That is the nominal weight, and only attainable if you're using the exact alloy that the manufacturer did. You need to weigh your bullets with your reloading scale, and go from there. Unless they're way, way off (more than just a few grains), I would start with the minimum load for a 124 grain bullet listed in your reloading manual, and go from there.

The ingots marked 60/40 are most likely plumbing solder - or at least were cast in an ingot mold for same, 60% lead, 40% tin, and a horrible waste to just toss into your lead pot willy-nilly. They should be reserved to 'sweeten' softer alloys with their high tin content.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    how far the base goes in the case and reduces capacity will change things more than small weight difference

Boolit Mold
    So I weighed the bullet and it weighed 121gr. And when you say start with minimum load for a 124gr. I have a modern reloading second edition book and the closest data I could find to what I need is 124gr copper plated and it lists titegroup as 3.6 start grains and and max OAL of 1.150. Is this still acceptable? As for the waste of lead, honestly it's fine. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, right? Or something like that lol.

Boolit Master

Start at 3.6 and work up from there.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I dont even know if making bullets out of 40% tin is a good idea besides wasting expensive tin. People normally use like 2% multiplying that by 20 will change density and hardness quite a bit, id definitly save it for mixing small amounts into other lead. You can calculate how much weight for weight gives what % tin, or theres probably a calculator somewhere on internet for adding it specifically. Any more than 5% tin in lead is kind of wastefull. Putting a bit in the ww alloy you got would be good

If my headmath is good id mix 1part 60/40 to between 10-20 parts ww for the normal good range of tin
    Last edited by bmortell; 04-13-2019 at 10:33 PM.

In Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4, 3.6gr of Titegroup is the max load for a 38 special I'd back off 10% and work up. Starting load is 2.6. If you are shooting in a 357 mag you're probably ok. I use the closest load data for the weight that is closest and start 10% low from start load and work up. So 2.6*0.1=0.26 start 2.3 gr.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    PAY ATTENTION TO SEATING DEPTH!

Do not seat shorter than the cartridge OAL cited in your published, pressure tested data source.

If your chosen bullet does not plunk test at the suggested OAL, reduce the charge@!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The op is talking about 9mm, I believe.
    Try using the Hodgdon data site. They have data for nearly all their powders and cartridge combinations.
    Here is the link
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

Thanks tazman, mine was WAG since no caliber was listed. That load weight is in the mid range for both bullet weights in Lyman #4 for a 9mm.

Boolit Master
    Without getting into the details of your particular caliber, as a general rule I feel comfortable using the powder charge from a heavier bullet while actually loading a lighter bullet. As long as you stick with the cardinal rule of "start low and work up your powder charge" small substitutions can be safe. Once you've achieved max charge you need drop down every time you change a parameter. So if I work up to max with the WW alloy I would drop down for the 60/40 and work up again.

A chronograph is your friend. As you go up the ladder you should see even gains in velocity.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nano View Post
    As for the waste of lead, honestly it's fine. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, right? Or something like that lol.
    Messing up with an egg is easy to clean up. Not so easy with tin plated to your bore.

Use lead bullet data with lead bullets.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Already suggested but one of the best investments you'll ever make is to purchase a copy of the Lymnn Cast Bullet Handbook. There have been 4 different editions - I have all four but #3 and #4 re my "go to" books for cast bullet load data. Plus, the handbooks are also filled with lots of good information bout casting, reloading, etc..

Welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of good folks here, good information and a good place to ask questions . . . just remember . . . "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask". Good luck with your casting, loading and shooting and be safe!

Banned
    Nano, Welcome to Cast Boolits

It's always safe to use load data from a heavier boolit (boolit = lead bullet ) for a lighter boolit [for the same firearm caliber]

here Is a good resource for load data

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

and You can download (for free) layman cast #3 here
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21238&o=OneUp

plus a lot of other great (free) resources here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

PM sent

The Lee data is good and won't get you in trouble, or hurt.

But as this addiction takes hold, you'll be wanting to get at least a few loading manuals.
    You can lay them out on a table and peruse over them like a General does their battlefield maps.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Nano, Welcome to Cast Boolits

The answer is YES
    It's always safe to use load data from a heavier boolit (boolit = lead bullet ) for a lighter boolit [for the same firearm/caliber]

here Is a good resource for load data

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/re...et-data-lookup

and You can download (for free) layman cast #3 here
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...%21238&o=OneUp

plus a lot of other great (free) resources here
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources

Lyman cast #4

PM sent

Boolit Mold
    Oh jeez, this is a lot of info, let me run through this a bit and see what I can clear up lol. Lets address some things first off.

The whole "break a few eggs to make an omelette" was strictly my way of saying I don't mind wasting lead, it's fine. I can start over if needed. I bought 10 total ingots for like 10 bucks or something. I don't mind taking that loss.

Books: I only have the one. It's Modern Reloading Second edition and it says Revised 2017. It came with my turret press kit. Obviously I will be looking into diversifying materials.

The caliber I'm working with is a 9mm Luger. The firearm is a Ruger Lc9s. The powder I have on hand right now is Titegroup. That's all for now.

Seating depth: I did of course purchase a caliper. And the data from Hodgdon the closest 124gr data is data for a 124gr BERB HBRN TP. The 125gr data from the same site lists a 125LCN @ 3.6gr starting load for a COL of 1.125. The paper insert that came with my Lee 9mm Deluxe Pistol Die set has data for the 12gr lead cast but my powder isn't listed so I figured I'd ask instead. It has 125gr data though which has 125gr data the same as Hodgdon's site. So I kinda sorta followed that. I seen someone mention a plunk test. What exactly is this? I currently have a round loaded and it's a 121 ish gr Lead Cast with 3.6gr and it measures to be 1.125. I probably will NOT fire this without getting my information 100% correct. I'd rather be educated than getting injured. This is why I'm seeking all the information I can. I want this to be a safe and enjoyable hobby.

I'll ask the owner of that shop who their source was if they could provide me any tips. All of my reloading is being done with a Lee classic turret press kit. The die set is a Lee Deluxe pistol carbide set. It's a recent purchase, this year. So if there were any revisions, it's the latest one I believe. I see a lot of suggestions about picking up the Lyman cast bullet handbook #4. You'll be happy to know it's currently being ordered.

I realllly appreciate all the help, don't worry. None of these rounds will be fired until I have all the information required to make this safe. If I missed anything extra, let me know and I'll go back and take a look!

Slight edit to this post. I've purchased the suggested lyman #4 manual. Thank you.
    Last edited by Nano; 04-14-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master

If you look at the top right of the screen, you will see a search tab that is priceless. Type in "plunk test" and prepare to be amazed. Basically, field strip your gun and use the barrel as a cartridge gauge. Drop in a loaded round and if it "plunks" and dumps back out freely, your oal is good. Btw, i saw a thread on the lc9s recently, might use the search for it and see if there is any helpful data.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Nano, In my first post I was so discourteous as to not welcome you to Cast Boolits so Welcome. As you can tell by now the members here will help any way they can. So with that in mind, here is a link to the discussion on the LC9s noted by jcren for your review.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...727-Ruger-LC9S
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast