MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 94 Angle Eject

Boolit Bub

Winchester 94 Angle Eject

Hi:

The LGS has a Winchester 94 Angle Eject in excellent shape.

He is asking $450.00.

I have never owner one and would know if there were any problums with them?

Thanks,

Terryt

I owned one for a brief period of time in 44 mag and it was a fine rifle. It went on down the road pretty quick because I'm not a huge fan of rifles chambered in pistol calibers. I never had any issues to speak of and I shot cast boolits and commercial ammo without a problem.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

I have one in .30-30, no issues with it at all.

Some don't like the safety. If you don't it is very easy to remove if you like.
    Does not bother me at all.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an AE from 1982 so no safety, but I love the thing.
    I am going to scope it for my son for his first deer season this year. It is the one he wants to take his first deer with. He loves lever guns.
    I have had no problems since I bought mine 10 years ago from a guy for $200.

The later models had issues with light hammer strikes. It can be solved by modifying the hammer strut or using an older ae's strut.

If it's a safety model and you don't like the safety, you can do like I did, remove it, grind the left side off so it sets flush when "off". You can still put the safety on with a bullet nose, key, or similar, but no chance of it being bumped on accidentally.

Boolit Master
    I've a 357 mag with cross bolt safety .ejectors are breakable otherwise no problems .a lighter hammer spring and a bit of polishing and the rebounding trigger is much improved ,bought mine new in 98 has had thousands of rounds through it .

Super Moderator

I have a 30-30 pre-safety as well. It's a great shooter with cast boolits.

I had a pre-safety Trapper AE in 45 Colt I used to use for cowboy shooting. I used 45 Schofield in it because the magazine only held 9. I could get 10 Schofields in it. Traded it to a buddy for a Remington 700 Classic in 221 Fireball. He wanted the Trapper for his grandson's first deer rifle. He passed away before the grandson was old enough to use it. Always wondered where that rifle ended up at. I'm pretty sure Mom dumped it as soon as she could just to get the cash.

Always liked that rifle.

Boolit Master

I have a pre safety model in .44Mag, 20" bbl. A special run for Big 5 Sporting Goods in 1987. Just in time for my start in Cowboy Shooting.

Never had it worked on, never had to. Did change the sights to a 3/32" brass bead & full Buckhorn rear.

Very few folks use them around here for Cowboy Shooting. Most have switched to Italian 1873's or 1866's. Some still use the 1892 copies, Italian or Brazilian. And the lucky have old Marlins.

There are a few you-tube videos on maintenance disassembly/reassembly.

The American made 94 is a great gun. Regardless of Pre-64, Post-64 or USRAC.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Pre-safety fetches alittle more money as well as a trapper (16"). The rifles handle pistol calibers OK but not as smoothly as 92s which are also stronger. Had a 94ae Trapper in 45 Colt which was pretty smooth after some work but it went down the road when I upgraded to an 1892 take down octagonal trapper in 45 for use ith Buffalo Bore's 325 rocks n dynomite loads.

Contrary to some that claim differently the 94 AE's marked the return of all forged milled receivers.

Some idiot on the 30-30 Winchester group( on FB) tried to tell me that they returned to milled steel receivers around 1972, but the freckled bluing and the reddish undertone of the receiver of my 1973 production rifle says he is full of night soil.

The ONLY top eject post-64 Winchester 94's that had real STEEL receivers were the early "Big Bores".
    And those were only sold chambered in 307Win, 356Win and 375Win...

Generally speaking the post 64 Top-Eject rifles aren't "bad" rifles, but the pre-64's and the angle eject are BETTER rifles

And you will be pleased to discover it already drilled for scope mounts...

Boolit Bub
    Yeah I am having problems with my "like new" 94ae, 357 mag. see other thread,,,,,,

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    $450.00 is high unless it is NIB or a rare model. Many of these rifles left the factory with irritating defects such as canted sights, loose actions, and terrible wood to metal fit. I would look at it closely and if you observe any of these, bargain for a much lower price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

300 is bout what they bring round here. Bout what a post 64 with finish wear goes for too. That's what I gave for my 1970 model atleast.

Yes, $300.00 is about right for average condition. I gave $375.00 for one in very nice shape made the year I was born, $200.00 for another that was perfectly functional but looked like it spent it's life sliding around in a truck bed.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My 70 made 94 has the finish problems associated with the receiver. The rest is in pretty good shape though. I like a little character, but always have in the back of my mind the picture I seen of a 94 from that era that had the receiver hard chromed and it was a nice looking rifle.

Can't comment on the price but I've owned three. 2 .30-30's and the .44 Paratrooper 94. One of the .30-30's had a feeding problem. The other 2 were/are good.

I've had the .44 for many years. Has been with me on many adventures.

Evr, that's an unusual stock. Could you give some details on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Evr, that's an unusual stock. Could you give some details on it.
    Special run by Winchester commissioned by the 101st Airborne back in the mid-90's. Needed something with a little more oomph than the 5.56 carbines.

Actually, I made it. Folds and/or can be rigidly attached with addition of one bolt. Works great. Shaped flat iron with a walnut cheekpiece.

Last edited by EVR; 04-17-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Very nice!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast