Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Knife parts

Boolit Grand Master

Knife parts

Anyone know where I can get a part for a knife I have???
    It's a Ka-bar, and it's missing the butt(don't know the real name) is missing.

Boolit Master

https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1217HC
    If it's the military Ka-Bar knife you're working on......
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master
    Might be to much work for me.
    Hoping to find a source of parts taken off broken knives.
    It's a military Ka bar.

Boolit Master
    its normally called a pommel not a butt

Boolit Master
    I have a few ka-bars I would give Ka-bar a call. I broke one quit a while ago and they just replaced it. I had to send the old one back but it was well worth the price of shipping. Like I said it was years ago so I really don’t know what their policy is now but I would still give them a call
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master
    I knew there was another name for it.
    Butt sounds cute though

Boolit Master

Here is a site I found. Rebuild kit for Kbar knife handle. I have dad's Marine Kbar from WW2. He wasn't a marine, a swabby. He was a CBM and worked running a shop at Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay repairing landing craft. Can't remember if it was Treasure Island or Mare Island. The landing craft were hauled in and laid out on a horse track. My sister was born in the Naval hospital on Mare Island in '45. Anyway, he traded a canned ham to a marine for this Kbar. I carry it in a daypack when hunting. Original scabbard and all. I've replaced the leather handles (stacked rings) once. I have 2 or 3 other Kbars from other manufacturers laying around the house. Not hard to work with, just takes patience.

https://www.kabar.com/products/product.jsp?item=1217HC
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Also, the pommel is held on by a rod extending from the tang. Can't remember is it is a rod or just a narrowed piece of the tang. It is peened out to fill the pommel hole, tightly pushing the pommel against the leather handle. You can drill/grind out the peen to remove the pommel/handle material and when you go to replace it, leave out one of the leather washers to give some space to re-peen. If you are like me, test fit/measure about 10 times before re-assembly. File off the rough peen when thru. If you scrape the new pommel a little, don't worry--it's what happened when you smashed it against the commie's head back in the war!!! Gotta have a good story!
    Last edited by gbrown; 04-14-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.