Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Good idea or bad – case lube for the pre sizing lube

Boolit Mold

Good idea or bad – case lube for the pre sizing lube

I am not a caster but on occasion I purchase unsized and unlubed bullets from a commercial caster. Currently, I would tumble lube with 45-45-10, wait 24 hours, size, re-tumble lube with 45-45-10, and wait 24 hours before reloading. Based on some posts on this forum, I am thinking I can change the process to 1)tumble lube with case lube, 2)size, 3)wait 1 – 2 hours, 4)tumble lube with 45-45-10, and 5)wait 24 hours before reloading. Does anyone see any issues with this process? Thank you.

p.s. If it makes a difference, I only do this with handgun caliber bullets using smokeless powder.

Boolit Master
    Don't know if the 45/45/10 will stick the the boolits that have the case lube on them after sizing, and that may cause a problem. You may need to remove the case lube with mineral spirits & then let them dry or just move on to 45/45/10 coat, but I have another option for ya to consider below...

If you are looking to speed up the process, preheat the boolits before the first coat of 45/45/10 lube with a hair dryer or a heat gun on low so they are just about too hot to touch while shaking in a tin can & then put them in the container you want to 45/45/10 lube them for the first time, add the lube, shake up good & roll out onto some wax paper. Then set the fan in front of the boolits to cool them. The boolits will dry right quick. Then you can size & repeat lubing before reloading. That is how "I" do it.

I do not know how long exactly it takes to get the lube dry, as I never timed it, but it works really quick for me. I usually just go onto doing something else & then come back to the cooled boolits later on when I feel like it, but it is usually not more than an hour or two & they are fine.
    I do know I have done the whole process with the 2 coats in less than a 4-6 hour time, though. Basically thru an afternoon to evening, so it might even be a bit faster than that to go from bare boolit to loaded rounds than that, but someone is going to have to time it out & I just don't have the need to know right now, as I am happy how I do it as I feel the need

You can time it if ya want though.... "If" ya try it...

LOL

BTW, you can also heat the boolits & lube together in the old empty Johnson Paste wax metal can, as that is what I usually do if the lube it not runny & then put the lid on & shake it then roll them out.

Fool around with the process & I think you will be satisfied with the speed of it.

Check it out.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Look at BLL (Bens Liquid Lube) here on the site. Very simple and very effective.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    JB, I will take 100 bullets and experiment with the case lube and see what happens. If the second lubing does not take, I will look into your suggestions. Thanks.

Don V., I cannot find a reasonably priced can of Johnson One Step No Buff to create the original BLL. So I tried making the Alternate BLL using the Lundmark liquid paste wax. After three days, the bullets were still wet and very sticky. So I went back to 45-45-10.

Boolit Master
    Just get a proper lube/ sizer.

Howdy and welcome to the forum. You didn't say but it sounds like you're using lee push through sizing dies?

I've found that if I polish the inside of the die, I have no problems sizing the bullets dry. Then I tumble lube in a ziploc bag, kneading the bullets well, and dump them on a paper plate to dry. I am using 45/45/10. Right now I'm only tumble lubing 45 auto but I've done others in the past.

I polished my die by spinning a cleaning rod section in a drill. I used a shotgun patch loop for the larger caliber dies, fold about a 1" x 3-4" piece of 1000 grit sandpaper lengthways and cut a cloth patch to fit between the two halves. Put that in the loop and wind it around by hand, lube with light oil. The cloth gives some compression to the patch and allows a tighter fit. I spin that 30 seconds to a minute full speed then clean the die and use a mop or corner of a rag in the patch holder with some green polishing compound. Clean again and you're ready.

Boolit Mold
    JBinMN; My test of 100 bullets where I sprayed with case lube, waited for about 1 hour, then size and then re-lube with (commercial) 45-45-10 seemed to work fine. But I am open to better ways of doing this.

MT Chambers; Since I am not a caster and infrequently purchase unsized and unlubed bullets from commercial casters, I decided that a lube/sizer is move $ than I wish to spend.

Bazoo; Thank you. Glad to be here. Yes, I am using the Lee (push-through) Bullet Sizer. When using, I just set it up on a single stage press. Regarding the shotgun patch loop with sandpaper, do you have a photo of the setup? I would like to be sure I understand it correctly. Thanks.

I don't have a picture but I'll see about getting one for you. This is my own technique that I've worked out and it works well for me.

If I size (I often do not) I have no issue running it through the sizer a bit on the sticky side. Worst case scenario is it ends up in the lube grooves. I have often sized half an hour after casting and lubing with BLL. If I am pushing for speed I will set the container of bullets in front of a fan for 15 min.

Then relube after sizing.

I prefer 2 light coats for pistol and slower rifle rounds. Three coats for higher speed, say over 1400 fps just as a general rule. Either way once they have final lube coat, let sit for 10 min, then spill them onto a cardboard flat again in front of a fan.

In the case of BLL 45 minutes will normally see they dry, not sticky and ready to load.

So instead of mixing lubes, I'd change up your routine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BEshooter View Post
    JBinMN; My test of 100 bullets where I sprayed with case lube, waited for about 1 hour, then size and then re-lube with (commercial) 45-45-10 seemed to work fine. But I am open to better ways of doing this.

...Snip...
    BEshooter,

Thanks for the update about trying it out!

Looking forward to reading about your further tests to find what works for ya!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    ... In the case of BLL 45 minutes will normally see they dry, not sticky and ready to load. ...
    GhostHawk; I am unable to find a reasonably priced can of Johnson One Step No Buff to create the original BLL. When I tried making the Alternate BLL, using the Lundmark liquid paste wax, I must have mixed it incorrectly because after three days, the bullets were still wet and very sticky. So I went back to White Label's 45-45-10.

Sorry it has taken me so long, I dont have internet at the house, and the phone dont do pictures well.

Here is the folded Sandpaper strip with a cleaning patch in the center, and how I roll it around the patch holder. If its larger than the hole you're trying to polish, you can stuff it in there while its spinning and the patch lets it compress and you get a real tight fitting plug. Thats 1000 grit paper in the photos.
    Hope this helps.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the photos Bazoo, now it makes sense what you are saying.

No trouble BEshooter, again, sorry it has taken me so long.

Boolit Mold
    When I started using the Lee Push-through sizers, I also had a problem with pre-lubing the bullets so they would size smoothly. What works for me is, I take a stick of bullet lube, smear a thin layer on a piece of cardboard, roll the bullet in the lube, then size. It's simple, quick, and cheap, and compatible with most lubes mentioned. I'm currently experimenting with a block of paraffin I got at the grocery store (canning department), rolling the bullet on that, then sizing. That too seems to work. Hope this helps.

Boolit Buddy
    Castor oil works a treat as a sizing lube,also a fantastic case lube. Mal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Just get a proper lube/ sizer.
    Amen to that Brother !
    One cycle of the handle = sized, lubed , gas check crimped on (if needed) ready to load or box !
    Fastest way and cleanest way to lube and size boolits .
    This is the best money I ever spent...Lyman 450 in 1972 . Always used soft lubes so no heater required. Watch EBay for second hand units.... You will love these little marvels !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I love my 450, but I tell you it's nowhere near as fast or easy as push through sizing and tumble lubing quantities of pistol bullets. Now, pan lubing and then sizing equals lube all over the bullet noses and bases, and large amount of effort to clean them with a rag and solvent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BEshooter View Post
    I am not a caster but on occasion I purchase unsized and unlubed bullets from a commercial caster. Currently, I would tumble lube with 45-45-10, wait 24 hours, size, re-tumble lube with 45-45-10, and wait 24 hours before reloading. Based on some posts on this forum, I am thinking I can change the process to 1)tumble lube with case lube, 2)size, 3)wait 1 – 2 hours, 4)tumble lube with 45-45-10, and 5)wait 24 hours before reloading. Does anyone see any issues with this process? Thank you.

p.s. If it makes a difference, I only do this with handgun caliber bullets using smokeless powder.
    Your current method is fine. Don’t be impatient or in a hurry, just work with larger quantities of bullets to build up a stock pile of ready to load bullets. When your stock is low enough set aside a few days to replenish it. Don’t be in a hurry take the time to enjoy every aspect of the hand loading experience from casting to shooting. Use dirty pistol powders so you can clean your gun and take satisfaction in the job well done and look forward to being able to do it again soon.
    Save your pocket change for a lubri-sizer.