RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellets or powder

Boolit Master
    I had been picking up Used BP rifles from local gun shops and Pawn Shops for around $150 to $250.
    Some were European made and some were TC's mostly crudely finished Kits.
    I didn't care, because I was going to rebuild them anyway.
    So far, I have gotten really lucky, and all of the barrels cleaned up real nice.
    But if one had a bad barrel, I would Pay Less and I would probably just send it to Hoyt to be rebored, or just use the good parts on something else.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Cva is one i was looking at. But i will try the pawn shops don't go in the gun stores much anymore they just don't carry guns like they used to i guess its because of internet. I like working on them.

Boolit Master
    The shops keep their inventory low because of the economy.
    A lot of shops went under in 2008 because no one had the money to buy the stock that they had on hand.
    Then there was the Ammo shortage.
    You couldn't sell a rifle if people couldn't get ammo for it.
    They want to only stock what they know will move out the door quickly like AR's

Boolit Master
    Red, keep an eye on williams gunsight co's web site they have a used gun section with photos and it has a black powder section. They are good to deal with and ship to us here in Va. fast. Right now they have a few old T/C's and some modern stuff (inlines).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Oh i would consider something else. I would love to have a flint lock but don't think i can afford one.
    not sure what is available in your area, but around here there is a fair amount of used caplock rifles for sale. T/C is an excellent rifle if you can find a nice clean rifle.

And on top of all that, they are american made.

Hey thanks hawkeye i will check them out. Just tried website can't get it to work will try later on computer.

Boolit Grand Master

The only advantage of pellets is that you don't need a powder measure. That's it, no other bonus.

There are a number of disadvantages, including the 777 crud ring which isn't as bad with loose powder, very poor shelf life (I wouldn't trust them more than a year after opening), and poor reliability. The pellets are only good for a single caliber too. You can't shoot 50 caliber pellets in anything but a 50 caliber gun. Pellets are not a good idea in anything but an inline ignition gun, and usually require a 209 primer. I've on two occasions with two different people try to shoot 777 pellets that sat after opening 3 years and 5 years, and both were bloopers. Pellets do make cool smoke bombs for the 4th of July.

Loose powder works in any gun, and you can adjust the powder charge to your hearts content. Nobody is winning matches with pellets. FFg black powder is the most versatile, but 777 is not a bad alternative. If you can get 777, don't even consider Pyrodex.

Buy a good Blackpowder, or loose 777, and buy whatever gun you desire without worries.

Thanks all i have been told you had to use pellets made no sence to me but i don't have one so what do i know. Will look into one now.

I have the CVA Optima Elite, the one you can change barrels on, though I only have the ML barrel.
    I shoot 80 grains of loose Pyrodex and a 295 grain Powerbelt hollow point. It's very accurate with that load.
    80 grains seems weak when compared to folks shooting 150 grains of pellets these days, but I killed a doe at 160-170 yards with that load, and the bullet landed right where the crosshairs were resting.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12