MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data

Thread: Testing PC?

Testing PC?

I am about to start trying to PC with Smoke's powder. I know about the smash test, is there any other way I should test them? Do you test every batch, or only as you are getting technique down?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shoot em'
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Smash them, if they pass then your good to go to the final test of load an shoot!
    Smokes powders are A+ great! I really like the clear. Coats on in tumbling white, bakes to a clear coat.
    Again great powder��

Banned
    There is one more test that no one does and they should. test to see if the PC is fully cured.

this is done by placing baked boolits in a container with some powder you are going to shoot them with for (I'm guessing here 2 weeks to 6 months) to see if the PC is fully cured. IF the PC is fully cured it will not be affected by the powder.)

Smoke recommends baking for 15 min at 400 degrees, that means 15 min AFTER the boolit has reached 400° to achieve full sure, not 15 min (or 10 I don't remember) total time in the oven.
    Check out the thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...PC-long-enough
    or do your own research, notice that ALL manufacturers state to bake for XX min AFTER metal temp reaches XXX° or for Eastwood AFTER the PC starts to flow.

PS chrome coats dark grey and bakes -- well chrome

Every batch I pick a defective looking bullet out & smash it totally flat. I have yet to have any coating failures. The shooting verifies all is well.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

It shouldnt peel flake or in any way come off. (Without removing lead)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    The smash test tests the bond and elasticity of the coating, but does not indicate the hardness of the polymer. An undercured bullet will pass the smash test.

Charlie Darnall of Freechex actually came up with an idea that is quick & easy. And that is to take a very sharp blade, like a utility knife, and holding the blade at a 90 degree angle to the bullet, lightly scrape the side of the bullet. If the coating scrapes off easily then it is not hard. The other test is scraping the bullet with pencil lead of known hardness: a good hardness for PC is equal to 2H or better.

If you are loading for accuracy then weighing the bullets will quickly cull out those that are not completely filled out. Yes, the is somewhat anal, but when I develop and Ransom Rest test loads I am not going to have my efforts ruined by loading imperfect bullets. Actually it goes pretty quick if you have a digital scale like an RCBS.

Boolit Master

I weigh all my cast and cull before coating. Usually its +/- one grain but I may expand that with very heavy bullets or 4 cavity molds. No matter how well a mold is made, cavities vary slightly. Even the last batch with one of Miha's 4 cavity HP varied +/- 1.5 gr.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Dragonheart is right the scrape test , I call it is a very good indicator of the cured state of the powder coating. even better than the smash test.
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci