Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are the red dots in Red Dot powder gone?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The red dots are still in my new bottle of Red Dot Powder .
    I have heard a rumor that Promo is supposed to be the same powder as Red Dot powder but Promo doesn't have the red dots in it. Now I've never seen any Promo for myself so don't really know.

Anyone got a jug of Promo ? Does it have any red dots in it ?
    Yes I have an 8 pounder. Just got it a short time ago. No, it does not have Red Dots in it.

Dunno if that helps with the OP's "internet rumor", or not, but it should answer the questions you asked.

{General Info, for any who may not know... Red Dot & Promo powders are basically the same burn speed , but must be measured in comparison by WEIGHT, & NOT VOLUME. ( So no dipper comparison, only a scale. ) The load data for the grain weight of Red Dot can be used for Promo when weighed only. Red Dot has red dots & Promo does not.}
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

No red dots in promo, but you have to love the price.

Me I like the red dots so I spend the money for them, mostly.

Boolit Buddy
    They tried this with M&Ms and had to put the red ones back in.

Boolit Grand Master

JBinMn , Ghost Hawk and Crackers
    Thanks for the information, I always wondered about Promo and it's relationship to Red Dot.
    Red M & M's taste best !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    JBinMn , Ghost Hawk and Crackers
    Thanks for the information, I always wondered about Promo and it's relationship to Red Dot.
    Red M & M's taste best !
    Gary

You should get some & try it out! In cartridges to shoot & not taste of it... LOL

P.S. - I am told the red dots taste kinda "yucky"...
    LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master

The red dots are still in my new bottle of Red Dot Powder .
    I have heard a rumor that Promo is supposed to be the same powder as Red Dot powder but Promo doesn't have the red dots in it. Now I've never seen any Promo for myself so don't really know.

Anyone got a jug of Promo ? Does it have any red dots in it ?
    http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/samp...?powder_id=679

Promo doesn't have red dots in it because it's NOT Red Dot. You can use Red Dot data BY WEIGHT with Promo. It was released with high volume shot shell reloaders in mind. You use less powder by VOLUME to get the same results.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

Promo doesn't have red dots in it because it's NOT Red Dot. You can use Red Dot data BY WEIGHT with Promo. It was released with high volume shot shell reloaders in mind. You use less powder by VOLUME to get the same results.
    Nice info, but 10 year old data on Red Dot!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Nice info, but 10 year old data on Red Dot!
    Well, When I clicked on the link it sent me to a page with 0777 Ramshot-True Blue Pistol Powder,

and Not Red Dot...
    ???

So, I am only gonna go with my personal experience that shows me , since I have & load both RD & PROMO & they are fairly current powders in opened containers in my reloading storage area that there are NO red dots in Promo, but the ARE red dots in my Red Dot powder containers.

Like i mentioned earlier, red dots have been in Red Dot for decades, just as the other "Dots" have been in the other "*-Dot" powders.

If anyone is really really concerned, just call or write Alliant & ask...
    Here is their phone number, address below. Heck, they even have an "Ask the Experts" link! to email them on site:

7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday (800) 379-1732

Alliant Powder
    2299 Snake River Avenue
    Lewiston, ID 83501

"Ask the Experts" link: http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

G'Luck! & Have fun!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I had some old Red Dot someone gave me.
    It had gray dots in it.

Boolit Grand Master

I had some so old the dots turned snow white, what few there were!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Well, When I clicked on the link it sent me to a page with 0777 Ramshot-True Blue Pistol Powder,

and Not Red Dot...
    ???

So, I am only gonna go with my personal experience that shows me , since I have & load both RD & PROMO & they are fairly current powders in opened containers in my reloading storage area that there are NO red dots in Promo, but the ARE red dots in my Red Dot powder containers.

Like i mentioned earlier, red dots have been in Red Dot for decades, just as the other "Dots" have been in the other "*-Dot" powders.

Here is their phone number, address below. Heck, they even have an "Ask the Experts" link! to email them on site:

Alliant Powder
    2299 Snake River Avenue
    Lewiston, ID 83501

G'Luck! & Have fun!
    There's a pull down menu at the upper left hand corner.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    I was gifted several pounds of Red Dot that was about 50 years old. There were no red dots visible. I shot trap a lot in the 60's and burned many pounds of Red Dot, so knew it had the red flakes in it back then. The original owner was a careful loader, but I still wanted to make sure it was Red Dot and not something else. I emailed Alliant and asked if the red dots were prone to fading over time. They said yes, that could happen. With that info, I loaded two cylinder fulls of a very mild 38 spl. load, one with the old Red Dot and one with some fresh Red Dot I had, and shot them over a chronograph. The velocities were the same.

JB if you will PM me we can work out you sending me a few pounds of that Promo so I can compare to both new Red Dot with dots and old Red Dot with dots almost undetectable. We need to know! The whole reloading community is counting on you to send that powder to me quick so we can get to the bottom of the mystery of do the dots make it shoot further, and burn cleaner with improved accuracy.... or not. Yes we should get started on this today!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 3:52 PM
    To: Alliant Reloading <Alliant.Reloading@VistaOutdoor.com>
    Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

Red Dot powder - there's a rumor going around that there are no Red Dots in the new powder. I doubt it but thot I'd check. Thanks and regards, Woody

Woody,
    Well you know what they say about rumors?
    How could we call it Red Dot if we took out the markers?
    It still has the markers.
    Thanks,
    Duane V. /Technical Service Representative
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
    (800)379-1732
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    Sent: Friday, April 19, 2019 3:52 PM
    To: Alliant Reloading <Alliant.Reloading@VistaOutdoor.com>
    Subject: Alliant Powder - Ask the Expert Form

Red Dot powder - there's a rumor going around that there are no Red Dots in the new powder. I doubt it but thot I'd check. Thanks and regards, Woody

Woody,
    Well you know what they say about rumors?
    How could we call it Red Dot if we took out the markers?
    It still has the markers.
    Thanks,
    Duane V. /Technical Service Representative
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501
    Alliant/Blazer/CCI/Speer
    (800)379-1732
    woody1--thanks for putting this one to bed!--Shuz
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    woody1--thanks for putting this one to bed!--Shuz
    YUP! And after 33 blah, blah blahs about it, it took Mr Duane V. about 14 minutes to respond to my e-mail.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woody1 View Post
    YUP! And after 33 blah, blah blahs about it, it took Mr Duane V. about 14 minutes to respond to my e-mail.
    Seems to me that it wasn't worth the time to even go ask them, and I said so in the 2nd post of this topic.
    Don't know about the "new", but all of my Red dot has the red dots in it. Some 1#ers I got were from last year & the year before.

To be honest, I think someone is BSing some folks, since it has been Red Dot with red dots for a reason for decades.

But, of course, the internet & people on it never start rumors, do they?
    Along with a couple more posts reflecting the idea that I thought it was ** & to just make some quips about thinking it was true.

I also included the Alliant contact info in post #28, for anyone who was believing that Alliant had changed their inclusion of Red Dots, so they could go check on it themselves, Just like YOU did...

...Snip...

Alliant Powder
    2299 Snake River Avenue
    Lewiston, ID 83501

G'Luck! & Have fun!

So I do not count all my posts here as "blah , blah, blah", but actually there was more than one informative one.

I knew that it was likely a hoax/rumor , & YOU did not, apparently, and DID make the email contact , so I wouldn't be climbing up on any "high horse" about your sending in an email and others did not, since you were fooled enough to even ask Alliant about it.

But, suit yourself... Think as ya like... Most folks do.

A suggestion might be, in order to be "helpful" here, is that folks may want to consider refraining about making "blanket statements" about who is foolish & posts, "blah , blah blah", and such nonsense, in the future...

Do as ya like though... and most folks do that too...

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12