Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: 38-55 Bullet weight VS. Twist?

Boolit Master

38-55 Bullet weight VS. Twist?

I need to order a mould from Accurate to shoot in my Pedersoli High Wall in 38-55. The twist is listed as 1:12 What bullet weight would yall recommend what would be best from 100-300 yards? Mostly punching paper from a bench. Thanks!

That's a fast twist for a 38-55, Most any weight bullet would work for 300 yards or less but I would look for something 260 grs. or heavier.

Jedman

That rifle was designed specifically for a 300 grain Dan Theodore design. Not sure who was making the moulds, maybe Steve Brooks? You might ask Tom @ Accurate if he's familiar with that particular rifle before ordering.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    That's a fast twist for a 38-55, Most any weight bullet would work for 300 yards or less but I would look for something 260 grs. or heavier.

Jedman
    how heavy exactly? I'm looking at a 380 grainer. Would that be more stable than say something around 345 grains?

I'd not use a bullet as heavy as the 380 gr. myself. I'd stick with the 300 gr., and you'll get superb accuracy, plus less felt recoil.

Boolit Grand Master

In my C Sharp's High wall 38-55 1-12 mcgowen barrel Ive shot both the 335 lyman ( postel style) and a 360 grn Nasa by Bernie Rowels at Old West moulds with very satisfactory results out to 500 yds. ( Farthest range available to me.) My load is true black powder olde ensforde 2f a .060 napa rubber fiber wad, 2 tracing paper wads compressed to hand seat the bullet. Load give 1230 fps is easy to shoot and 10 rams in a row cant be wrong LOL.

Vendor Sponsor

Nobade, might this be the one you are thinking about? However, it comes in heaver than 300 grs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	492.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	239715
    This is the one to try ... You will have to have a copy made. I think Steve Brooks will make it. It is the exact mate to the rifles chamber design and will likely shoot to the maximum ability of the rifle.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Nobade, might this be the one you are thinking about? However, it comes in heaver than 300 grs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	492.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	239715
    This is the one to try ... You will have to have a copy made. I think Steve Brooks will make it. It is the exact mate to the rifles chamber design and will likely shoot to the maximum ability of the rifle.
    That's the one. I was off in my weight, but that's what I was thinking of. Rifle and bullet are made for each other.

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms makes a number of molds for fast twist .38 cal rifles. I'm not sure how many of them are suitable for the Pedersoli bore/groove dimensions though.

Your rifle will be able to handle pretty heavy and long bullets with excellent accuracy. I shoot a couple of .38-55's and a .38-50 with 1:14 twist and I use bullets around 1.3" long and 320-330gr in weight.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    I have that same rifle and the Dan T mould for it. BACO makes the mould and mine drops @ 365 grains. The OP however stated he will only be shooting from 100_ 300 yds so there is no need for a mould costing that much.
    I also have the Lyman Postel that weighs 330 grains and drops @ .380. At 300 meters it shoots as well as the Dan T at far less cost. That would be my recommendation.

Mine drops 372gn and in the Pedersoli, 50gns of Swiss No,2 (3F) shoots very accurately. The mould was made by Paul Jones.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!