Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersPBcastcoRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: "Magnum" model 1849 Pocket or 1862?

"Magnum" model 1849 Pocket or 1862?

Just wondering what there is for genuinely small original spec 1862, or 1849 model pistols with a cartridge conversion.

Looking for one that comes as a cartridge revolver already, or can be converted for a reasonable price, and what the maximum power would be that could be put through one? Looking to launch a heavier for caliber bullet at reasonable velocity.

Guess I would be looking at a steel frame gun. Not interested in going to a bigger pistol; I like the scale of the small ones to round out the gang.

Boolit Master
    Currently, the only conversion cylinder of which I am aware is chambered in 32 CF and fits in the Colt style 31 revolver. There may be one for the Remington.

Uberti is supposedly making a .380 ACP chambered version of the Pocket Police or Pocket Nagy but so far not released.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Magnum? Not with 32 S&W. Those conversions you cannot run hot at all. They sell 32 S&W at the store but made for modern guns. Starting as a cap and ball gun, might be better off w BP loads. They are supposed to pack a little more ummph than smokeless that will stay within the pressure spec. I have an 1890s break open in 32 S&W, tried unique, but 500fps is slower than most pellet guns. No way to go hotter without the pressure. Trailboss is what gave most velocity without risking the gun. 1.5gr w a 90gr bullet got very low 700fps. Was not going to buy a lighter mold for the little use the gun sees, same slug use in my Nagant revolver.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cartridge conversions are an interesting idea that I have no experience with.

I had a delightful little 1862 Colt Pocket Police repro by Uberti for a time. Full up, it held about 21 grains of 3F black powder, and the 70 grain RBs I ran through it managed about 625-650 FPS. With some 140 grain conicals I scrounged up, there was only room for about 15 grains of 3F powder. Those barely broke the 500 FPS mark. RBs were FAR more accurate.

The Ruger SP-101 and some of the J-frame 357 Magnums are about the same size and weight as the Colt 1862 I had. If halting aggravated assaults is on the menu, one of those more modern and much-more-powerful options suggest themselves strongly.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Cartridge conversions are an interesting idea that I have no experience with.

I had a delightful little 1862 Colt Pocket Police repro by Uberti for a time. Full up, it held about 21 grains of 3F black powder, and the 70 grain RBs I ran through it managed about 625-650 FPS. With some 140 grain conicals I scrounged up, there was only room for about 15 grains of 3F powder. Those barely broke the 500 FPS mark. RBs were FAR more accurate.

The Ruger SP-101 and some of the J-frame 357 Magnums are about the same size and weight as the Colt 1862 I had. If halting aggravated assaults is on the menu, one of those more modern and much-more-powerful options suggest themselves strongly.
    Not looking so much for a powerful defense gun, as I would strongly consider the Ruger, or the slightly bigger GP-100 that some consider a better gun, but a small single action fun gun. But with a little more punch, so that it could be pressed into slightly more serious duty.

I think I've almost paused my quest for a 1849, or 1862 for the time being. I am considering a gun that I had forgotten about; the Uberti Stallion in .38 Special. It was a pretty neat little gun, if not quite as tiny as the small BP guns, IIRC.

32S&W story...

Long time ago my sister and I were shooting at an aluminum pop can with a break top S&W in our granmother's yard.
    It was nicely accurate using Remington factory loads. Hitting the can made it lean backwards in the grass and the next shot hit the bottom rim of the can. The factory loads were so low powered that the can absorbed the impact of the bullet, retained it flipping up in the air.

I had more power than that in the mid seventies loading a 4" barrel 1849 with red box Remington 88 grain swaged lead bullets.

Boolit Master
    The 32 S&W conversion for the 1849 requires hollow base bullets. 32 short and week bullets are .312" diameter, the 1849 groove s are .323" diameter.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    I looked into one of these conversions. Already load for 32 S&W. But cost of the pistol and cylinder its a $500 toy. The 45 colt conversions for the larger guns works well as the bullets are the right size. All the smaller caliber ones barrels tend to be the wrong size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those early Colt designs tend to be open top style, not a mark of extreme strength. I would look for loads tested for break top and hinged frame revolvers to use in these conversions and totally avoid any loads that mention the words magnum or high performance. JMHO, but they’re you hands and eyes!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    The 32 S&W conversion for the 1849 requires hollow base bullets. 32 short and week bullets are .312" diameter, the 1849 groove s are .323" diameter.
    Wow... the chambers would need to be opened up. Could make brass out of 32-20's like is done for the .329" diameter 8mm French revolver?
    For that kind of money could just shoot the 8mm French!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Those early Colt designs tend to be open top style, not a mark of extreme strength. I would look for loads tested for break top and hinged frame revolvers to use in these conversions and totally avoid any loads that mention the words magnum or high performance. JMHO, but they’re you hands and eyes!

Froggie
    The word "magnum" was just kind of a exaggerated term. Looking for a little more performance. Maybe not necessarily a magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    Cimarron Arms has an 1862 pocket model conversion 5 shot in 380 auto.

Off the top of my head, wouldn't pressure from a 380 auto be fairly high in an open top? Would think it would be better to try a low powered load already available, like 38 Smith and Wesson. Maybe the rim diameter doesn't stack up for the five round cylinder. Pretty neat all the same.

I have a Colt 62 second gen and it feels like shooting a real revolver loaded with 21 grains 3Fg Old E powder under a round ball with my grease over the mouth or even better shooting my 21 grain paper cartridges loaded with round balls, then dipping the ball end in my lube which is enough lube for the job.

Tellin you ... these are just too fun and plenty power in such a small package