WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Im trying to fnd this levergun book...

Looks like a must acquire book to me. Interesting he has 348 winchester listed under 1886 rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Sad to see that 50-95 Winchester is not listed in the table of contents
    A chief purpose of the book was reproduction of the old Winchester high velocity lever gun loads, so the author looked at nothing before the Browning designs. No 66, 73 or 76 calibers.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for posting that little snippet ----I almost bought it ----believe I would have been seriously disappointed without the earlier models .

Boolit Bub
    Looks like an awesome book. I'll have to add it to the reading collection someday.

Boy I want it for all that juicy 30-30 info! I'm a 94/30-30 nut, and a 71/348 nut. And I'm borderline nutty bout the 95.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Boy I want it for all that juicy 30-30 info! I'm a 94/30-30 nut, and a 71/348 nut. And I'm borderline nutty bout the 95.
    I'm just a lever gun nut (Winchesters) but my favourite is my 45/75 1876 -----

I hear that! Something about leverguns. The look and feel of them.

Boolit Master

The book is full of well told stories, maybe it's best feature. Each cartridge chapter is introduced with a hunting tale. Reading it carries much the same type of flavor as reading old Elmer Keith stuff. It's 'comfort reading' to a rifle man.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I'm just a lever gun nut (Winchesters) but my favourite is my 45/75 1876 -----
    Is your an original or repo? Mine is a Uberti 45/75 with the longer Uberti chamber. **** main spring keeps falling off, but otherwise a blast to shoot.

Do they speak about all the calibers? I like the Winchesters too but what about the odd ball calibers? I have an 1886 40-82 for example... Convince me guys and il buy it. Its in my cart I just need motivation to spend that amount on a book...

I felt that it was worth buying and found it to be interesting reading ... your call as to whether you buy it or not. You could try the bookseller over in New Westminster (BC) that I bought my copy from to see if he has any used copies available right now and at what price?

John Simmer Gun Books @ 604-524-8446 or email to jsimmer@shaw.ca
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Do they speak about all the calibers? I like the Winchesters too but what about the odd ball calibers? I have an 1886 40-82 for example... Convince me guys and il buy it. Its in my cart I just need motivation to spend that amount on a book...
    My copy was within arm's reach, so I checked. In addition to all the 'standard' rounds, the book has chapters for 40-65, 40-82, 38-56, 38-70, 50-110, 50-100-450, 40-70, 33 WCF, 450x348 AI (Ackley's version of the 450 Alaskan) and 348 AI in the 86 and 71. For the 92, 357 and 44 are added to the standard chamberings. The 94s include 25-35 AI, 219 Zipper and 375 Win. In the 95, there are the 405 and 35 WCF.

Snooky was a fan of Barnes bullets, so strong loads are listed for all calibers for which they were available, along with several cast bullet loads.

Kev18,
    I don't know how close you live to the border ,,, but,,, if you've got a friend below , ship it to them, have a nice drive and a lunch for you and your friend when you pick it up. Just like most "gun guys" always have a friend that's an FFL holder ,,,,,,,,,,, know what I mean ??
    Just sayin'

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Is your an original or repo? Mine is a Uberti 45/75 with the longer Uberti chamber. **** main spring keeps falling off, but otherwise a blast to shoot.
    Uberti repro 45/75 - later model with the more normal chamber - mainspring fell off mine too - posted a fix for that on another forum - worked on mine - yours is an earlier gun, the spring might be bent different (sounds like it is) so this may not work - spend some time cycling it with the stock removed and figure the geometry - mine only fell out when I backed the strain screw out to get lighter trigger pull.

You dont need to remove much metal !!!
    The groove across the top of the spring is a touch less than ten thou
    The line drawing is rough but might explain easier

Extending the strain screw like some others recommend will fix it - trouble is that adds weight to the trigger pull - (added a lot of weight to mine)
    I wasnt sure if my modification here would work when I did it but has worked a treat really.
    (Did you and me done this already once? )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spring drawing 3.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	239910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1876 mainspring.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	239911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1876 mainspring hook.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	239912
    Last edited by indian joe; 04-15-2019 at 08:22 PM.

Ah, you'll be Greyhawk over there, I be KM. Got 2 new springs on the way from KTI.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Ah, you'll be Greyhawk over there, I be KM. Got 2 new springs on the way from KTI.
    Drat ! now we gonna have to change our disguises

If you got two spares coming - I would try thinning/weakening (wasp waist it) one towards the forward end, then can crank the strain screw in, it proly dont fall out anymore -mine stays put if I tighten that strain screw but the trigger pull is just awful from the extra spring tension.

Man that does sound like a must acquire book.

I really want to get it. I have some grace usa screwdrivers I want to buy which are 65$ , and then this book which is alot more...

Well I just went to a gun show and bought a Winchester book. Still isnt the Lever Legacy but this one looks decent too.
    There was this one and the silver edition. The guy said there wasnt to much difference between them.

I have RL Wilson's book, winchester an American Legend. It's pretty neat, mostly it focuses on the company history with just a little on each model. There are tons of photographs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast