Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
PBcastco Inline Fabrication

Thread: 452AA in the 45 acp

Boolit Buddy

452AA in the 45 acp

Any you old timers have load data for 452AA powder in the .45 acp? Mostly interested in 230gr bullets, but interested in all weights.

Boolit Master
    I think I’ve got 12 lbs of that stuff on the shelf, have some load data for .45acp, will see if I can dig it up tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    My Speer Reloading manual #11, on pages 436-438 has the following loads for 45ACP using 452AA:

-------------------------------------------
    185gr.. -Speer TMJ Match with a Start = 4.3gr. @ 757fps, to a Max. = 4.7gr. @ 819fps

200gr. - Speer TMJ Combat with a Start = 5.0gr. @ 842fps to a Max. = 5.5gr. @ 898fps

200gr. - Speer H. Point with a Start = 5.0gr. @ 868fps to a Max. = 5.5gr. @ 916fps

230gr. - Speer TMJ with a Start = 4.7gr. @ 760fps to a Max. = 5.3gr. @ 825fps

260gr. - Speer H. Point with a Start = 4.6gr. @ 712fps to a Max. = 5.0gr. @ 786fps

---------------------------------------

If you wish pics of the pages & data, I will supply them, if necessary, upon request.

Looking at the descriptions of the bullets, it looks like the Speer TMJ is the same as an FMJ. The Match & Combat bullets are TC shaped. The H.P. bullets are shaped like a typical H.P. with a RN ending with a FP with the HP in it. The 230gr. bullet is a Ball type round with its typical RN shape.

The manual description of the rounds uses a SAAMI recommended OAL of 1.275". It also says the loads do not exceed 19,900 CUP.

Hope that helps as it was a ***** to type out. I should have just taken pics, and I may do so later anyway...

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Shoot, my electronic file of reloading books got gone with my iPad. What I had came from Speer #9 and Speer #11. @JMinMN thanks for posting that data!

There is ample evidence that 452AA was replaced by WST.

Also that 452AA is very temp sensitive, it’s faster when colder.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Loaded and burned up lots of this stuff back in the 80’s shooting skeet and trap!!!!! 4 pounds left to go, probably use it up in .45 acp or .38 spcl.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    YW!~

More load data sources can be found here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...online-sources
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    When I began working with .45 ACP cast bullet loads years ago, my very best accuracy was with 452AA; these were regular full power loads.

Boolit Master
    I shot up supply of 452 years ago, per my notes tried loads between 4.5-5.0 grs with 200 gr SWC lead bullets. All worked well. If you can't find load data for 452 use Hodgons Trap 100 data. Nice powder, meters well.

Boolit Master

Yes, Trap 100 is the same powder as 452AA. Any of the older Hodgdon manuals will have it. For that matter, try calling Hodgdon, they will give you data.

Boolit Mold
    I have used 5.2 gr of 452AA under an H&G 68 bullet for many years, very accurate and relatively clean burning. would buy more if I could find it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've found that if your Star machine in .38 Special or .45 ACP is set up and adjusted to meter a safe charge of Bullseye, that you can refill your measure and meter the same volume of 452AA or WST and you will have a safe load which gives just a bit lower velocity than the same volume of Bullseye.

I also use 452AA to load for my Colt New Service .455 Eley with the Accurate 45-264D bullet and the same charge which I use to load .45 ACP wadcutters for 50 yards with the H&G#68.

Attachment 245148
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.