Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: making 38-55 bullets

Boolit Buddy

making 38-55 bullets

What donor brass would be best for some .377 /220-255gr slugs.9mm and .223 are abundant range brass.I'd like to duplicate the same profile as the old CIL/Dominion 255gr bullet if possible.
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 04-11-2019 at 09:14 PM.

38 special brass... does a great 220-250 .. Visit your local range.. theres probably buckets of brass for a few cents each

Boolit Buddy
    40s&w.

Boolit Master
    I am saving both 9mm and 223 for just such use, I seem to remember BT putting up a pic of some 223 shells cut and made into very good 375 so I believe 377 would be a no brainer. The Police use our range for training so no shortage of 223 and 40 sw. regards Stephen

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Pioneer2:

.223 brass would be your best bet. It's closer to 0.377" than the 9mm brass and also long enough for the bullet weights your wanting to duplicate.
    Machining the bases off, to remove the primer pocket makes for a better jacket, IMO.

The alternative would be to make jackets from 3/8" copper tubing, half hard "Rigid" or coil "Soft".

BTW, I do swage. I have a Corbin Hydro press and a number of manual presses as well. And, being able to make your own swaging is also a great benefit.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I have no idea what profile you're talking about and, I haven't made anything with 223 fir donor yet. But I make .40 - .357 and .308 cal's from 9mm range brass. You could use 40 S&W brass if you had to but what RRR said, " 223 brass would be your best bet. It's closer to 0.377" than the 9mm brass and also long enough for the bullet weights your wanting to duplicate. " Sizing a 40 brass down that farr would be a real chore, and no guarantee it would end up with a flat base. With 223, you might even be able to work out how to use both ends after it's cut in two. Not sure how much of it you would need to make a 255g projectile.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !