Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Do I Need A Custom Mold ?

Banned

Do I Need A Custom Mold ?

Here's where I am:

I have a couple of wadcutter loads that I've tuned to do what I want.

One of those loads is a RCBS 38-148-WC, sized to .358", lubed with White Label 50/50 and seated to the crimp groove over 3.1 grains of Bullseye. It does everything I want it to do. Accurate, shoots to the sights, doesn't lead the bore, doesn't beat up the gun (even when used in a snubnose Airweight).

However, I have two small issues and I'm trying to decide if they are significant issues:

1. As much as I love RCBS molds and the great bullets they produce, they are two cavity molds. I've switched to 4 cavity SAECO molds for my SWC's but my WC molds are all 2 cavity types.

2. The front driving band of the RCBS 38-148-WC has a very sharp shoulder. Even when using revolvers that have chamfered chambers (charge holes in S&W parlance) those RCBS WC's occasionally hang up when using speedloaders. YES, I know that a WC is designed to cut nice clean holes in paper.
    I would be willing to give up a little of that sharp forward edge in exchange for a little bit more speed-loader friendly profile IF I could retain all of the positive attributes of my current load.

What I envision is a bullet profile identical to the RCBS 38-148-WC from the flat base up to the crimp groove but a beveled profile on the front driving band like a SAECO #348 DEWC.

I could just go to a DEWC but I like the plain base of my current WC and it's working great in all other regards.

SO, is that a custom mold or does someone make a 4 cavity WC mold with that combination of features?

Banned
    not 4 cavity --- Lee 6 CAVITY 358-148 WC $42.99

https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION...r=8-1-fkmrnull

Banned
    Thanks but that has the same profile as the RCBS

Boolit Grand Master

You could buy a second RCBS mould and cast both moulds together like a lot do. While one is setting up and cooling you cutting sprue and filling the other. Does away with the 5-7 sec wait times as your casting while the other is cooling. This will get production up but wont help with the sharp front edge

Banned
    This design from Accurate isn't too far off:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-148W-D.png

Boolit Master

What about using one of the Lyman designs that has a slightly reduced nose diameter that sticks out of the front of the case? Lyman 358432?

Boolit Master
    speculating from angles of designs I have and what the hole in paper looks like, im pretty sure that accurate design would give sharp paper holes and help with loading a bit. not really sure if you could get completely easy loading and sharp holes with a certain shape but it looks like a good compromise to me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    speculating from angles of designs I have and what the hole in paper looks like, im pretty sure that accurate design would give sharp paper holes and help with loading a bit. not really sure if you could get completely easy loading and sharp holes with a certain shape but it looks like a good compromise to me
    I think that may be right. The RCBS design has a small button nose but the forward edge of the first driving band is 90 degrees to the side. The Accurate design has more of an angled transition from the band to the edge of that nose which eliminates that sharp "shelf".

Boolit Master
    When I competed in PPC, I used the DEWC boolit cast from two Lee 2 cavity molds. I lubed one groove and loaded so maybe .1 extended past the brass. They dropped into the cylinders of all my revolvers like lightning. I think I may have bobbled one loading a quarter but most were my fault. Like the time I dropped a speed loader while drawing it from the pouch and it rolled almost to the seven yard target.

Anyway, if the lead sticks out from the brass, they tend to load easier.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've tried them all and keep going back to Saeco #348

Attachment 239733

Accurate 36-148D is a close copy
    Attachment 239734
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Outpost, how does that SAECO #348 do if you run it through a lubersizer instead of using a tumble lube ?