Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lyman 55 drop tube, looking for a new one...

Boolit Master

Lyman 55 drop tube, looking for a new one...

I have a lyman 55 that I set up in an RCBS measure mount as it is handy for my bench. The little bitty short drop tube and is not transparent, just is not very handy. Does anyone here make and sell or know of anyone who sells a clear one similar to the drop tube on the uniflow? I really like to see the powder drop as I activate the measure and a little extra length would really help.

Thanks Matt

Boolit Master
    It wouldn't be hard to make a clear plastic drop tube.I'm not aware of such an item on the market.

Boolit Master

I would make one if I had a lathe and could cut that really fine thread! I might have a die nut that size, not even sure. Believe me, I have thought about trying some kind of DIY.

Boolit Master
    Assuming they're the same, I just went though this with my 55 and (surprise!) it may be a proprietary thread. The major diameter mics out at .608" and the pitch is about 31 tpi (It's whatever my pitch gage doesn't have, but 30 and 32 are closest) . I gave up and bought a short piece of PVC that slips over that stubby little tube but it's only a temporary fix, since I expect the end of the tube to wear and become loose pretty soon.
    Lyman has drop tubes but they aint cheap.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    The drop tubes on my Lyman 55's aren't threaded.They're held in the measure by a thumb screw.

Boolit Master
    The short one on mine has a set screw, you're right about that but the lock ring is threaded. I'd turn and thread a replacement in a heartbeat but I'm not sure I can match the long internal taper and I'm not sure how critical it is to copy that taper. Though now that I think about, a standard bridge reamer might be close enough to prevent bridging inside the tube.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Lyman products list them on there parts list for sale $2.90 ea
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Eric can make any kind of drop tube or bore guide you may need.

https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/Home_Page.html

Possum Hollow Products, Inc.
    160 Platt Ave
    Merritt Island, FL 32952

Phone: 1-321-338-7757
    Eric Sinclair eric@possumhollowproducts.com
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Some Lyman 55 measures have threaded tube, some don't I have then both ways. The threaded tubes are much longer than the other ones.
    The thread pitch on the 55's with a threaded drop tube are the same as the 310 and Tru-Line JR. They call it a 5/8 x 30. The diameter isn't quite 5/8. That way it could be used on the Tru-Line JR press. It has a 4 hole turret.
    When they first started making the tong tools there were no standards for threads. They used that size because they found it to work. When SAE standardized bolt sizes thread pitches Lyman didn't change it because then new tools wouldn't work with older tools.
    I have an MTM funnel set. It has a funnel with several sizes of fitting that fit into the funnel and one long drop tube.
    The Lyman 55 is just a bit bigger than the long drop tube. A few wraps of tape make it fit snuggly.
    I'm not sure how you would adapt it to your measure.
    If you were to make a long drop tube I don't think the taper matters much. As long as it tapers the length of the tube and doesn't get bigger than the case you want to fill. The 55 comes with two tubes. A small one with a hole of .217 for cases from 22 to 30 cal. One has a large hole of .295 for 30 cal and up.
    As long as the taper isn't too much and make the wall thickness to thin where the set screw is it should be ok.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

The lyman drop tubes shouldn't be a big issue to make try a taper pin reamer for the tapered portion of the bore.

Boolit Master

I will have to look at it again... but I think that you are right. I think that mine is held in place by a thumb screw, but I need the threads on the outside and the adapter bushing to install it in the thin arm extension on my RCBS powder measure stand. I think that if the end were reduced enough to fit the measure and the outside was a standard 7/8 die thread it would work fine, may look odd but that is of no matter to me. I have a long tapered reamer that I could work the inside over with, but would still need threads on the outside. I could cut them with a die nut in plastic and I have that. Would need to make the reduced shank on the end, maybe could do that in a drill press but would need a bigger chuck to mount the 7/8 plastic for the work.

Boolit Grand Master

Mount it on a snug bolt in the hole before you finish it with reamer and polish. use a bolt and nut and washer leaving 1/2" or so of the bolt to chuck on.
    Another was to do it is to clamp piece in vise and lay out center. Use a circle cutter set to dia or close to it. Align and clamp vise part down and drill hole and the cutter will turn the outside . You can adjust for size by moving cutter arm in as needed. Once to size drill hole thru and finish bore.