Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMR Red Powder

Boolit Buddy

IMR Red Powder

In addition to casting slugs, I do a lot of trapshooting. When I started several years ago I used Red Dot and switched to 700X during the great powder shortage. I have cut back to 7/8 ounce and 15 grains of powder (approx. 1150 fps) due to getting old. 700X works well (functions my gas operated semi-auto), but is VERY dirty. I'd like to find something cleaner so I don't have to take the thing apart so often. Anyone have any info on IMR Red? Supposed to be pretty clean and works at a low pressure. Any help would be appreciated.

I bought a pound of it and haven’t used it yet. Haven’t really found much load days for it.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Boolit Master

gunauthor, I am currently using Alliant Red Dot, I have enough onhand to see me thru fora long while so no plans to change anytime soon. However, I remember seeing IMR Red on the shelf at the LGS when it was first introduced; I inquired about it (to IMR) and was tols it was marketed as a direct competitor for the Alliant product with very similar characteristics. I would think that if you liked Red Dot and can't find it that IMR Red would be the next best thing.
    Last edited by centershot; 04-12-2019 at 04:55 AM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I concur.. the IMR line of Red, Green, Blue, Unequal, and Target were basically replacements for Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, and Bullseye. IMR stated at the time that the data for their powders pretty closely matched that of the Alliant powders. Alliant also came out with a powder called Clay Dot that seemed to match Hodgdon Clays in data. I specifically read where Clay Dot made note of not being used for Metallic cartridges. I tried it anyway using Clays data and found it to closely match Hodgdon Clays when loaded at lower velocities in the 40 S&W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sargenv View Post
    I concur.. the IMR line of Red, Green, Blue, Unequal, and Target were basically replacements for Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Unique, and Bullseye. IMR stated at the time that the data for their powders pretty closely matched that of the Alliant powders.
    I had heard/read the same thing !

It however appears that maybe they're not making Unequal now . I got new 2019 loading data brochure from Hodgdon and that powder was not shown but the Red , Green and Blue are shown .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    I would suggest Alliants PROMO, {http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/promo.aspx },
    due to its' similarity to Red Dot & its lower costs, but that is not what you are asking about, so I will stop at that.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

As far as clean burning is concerned, I tried some Winchester SL but instead of shotgun, I used it in some .45AR loads and it burned very clean for me and gave excellent accuracy for me. It is a quick burner along the lines of Bullseye which is a little quicker than Red Dot. I liked it and if I can find some more locally, I will buy more but so far I have not seen it one anyone's shelves. my experience, james

UM, Bullseye is not quicker than Red Dot. The "speed sequence" in Alliant goes, fastest to slowest:
    Red Dot
    Green Dot
    Bullseye
    Unique
    Herco
    Power Pistol
    Blue Dot
    Then you're into the rifle powders
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Hodgdon clays is extremely clean burning barely any soot after 150 rounds in my trap gun

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about IMR Red, although Red dot isn't well known to burn clean. It looks like your load is only running 5,000-6,000 PSI, a powder can only be so clean with such a load. I do know that as a long time 700x user, I have been quite impressed with American Select for both shotgun and handgun. I've always considered 700x quite clean though, but that's just me.

If anyone is interested Hodgon has a full chart of powder burn rates... even color coded on their site.

And I just loaded IMR red today. Im using it for old shotguns though. Im using 17.5 grains as a starting load in the 12 gauge with 7/8 ounce shot (Brass hulls). Its a winchester 1887. And a 10 gauge damascus barrel with 18.5 grains, and 1 ounce shot to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    If anyone is interested Hodgon has a full chart of powder burn rates... even color coded on their site.

And I just loaded IMR red today. Im using it for old shotguns though. Im using 17.5 grains as a starting load in the 12 gauge with 7/8 ounce shot (Brass hulls). Its a winchester 1887. And a 10 gauge damascus barrel with 18.5 grains, and 1 ounce shot to start.
    Are you sure you want to use smokeless powder in a damascus barrel? I'm no expert, but I play one on the internet. Pops told me never to use smokeless in any firearm not specifically designed for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Are you sure you want to use smokeless powder in a damascus barrel? I'm no expert, but I play one on the internet. Pops told me never to use smokeless in any firearm not specifically designed for it.
    I have no problem with folks that choose not to shoot smokeless in damascus or steel twist barrels . However I on the other hand shoot it in around two dozen guns with those types barrels . I also use a lot of different smokeless powders Red Dot , Green Dot , Blue Dot , Unique , Universal Clays , W572 and one that’s no longer manufactured but I still have around 15-20 pounds of SR7625 . As to cleanliness of 700X and Red Dot yes I find both to be somewhat dirty . I still load a lot of Red Dot in a herd of 10 gauge guns for light target dove loads and I’m perfectly satisfied . When I messed with 700X it was quite a few years back and was mostly used in an 1100 12 gauge skeet gun , to be totally honest in that application I found it to be very dirty but then dirty is a relative thing .

Boolit Master
    As stated I do at the moment have a goodly supply of Red Dot , Green Dot and Blue Dot on hand but I was thinking I might get a pound of IMR Red , Green and Blue for comparison purposes . I’ve got over 16 pounds of Unique but I don’t think I’ll try the Unequal just yet .

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Not all powders are the same. Burn rate and pressure are huge factors to take into consideration.

Boolit Master
    Not all powders are the same. Burn rate and pressure are huge factors to take into consideration.
    Regardless of whether its black or smokeless all you're worried about is the pressure level .

Now with that being said make sure you're using shotgun compatible powders .

While there are MANY that enjoy shooting black or black subsitutes in their Damascus or steel twist guns I ain't one of them .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Regardless of whether its black or smokeless all you're worried about is the pressure level .

Now with that being said make sure you're using shotgun compatible powders .

While there are MANY that enjoy shooting black or black subsitutes in their Damascus or steel twist guns I ain't one of them .
    Cleaning is terrible. I used goex and pyrodex. The fouling is nasty!

Boolit Master
    I've been away from places that sell powder too long! I never heard of such.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Cleaning is terrible. I used goex and pyrodex. The fouling is nasty!
    Kev, if it's available in your area try some Triple 7. Having tried several of the BP substitutes, it's the only one I trust and clean-up is a breeze!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast