Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses reflex sights on their pistols?

Boolit Grand Master

Who uses reflex sights on their pistols?

I have a FNX Tactical that wears a Trijicon RMR sight and I find it quite enjoyable to shoot with the reflex sight. Who else shoots a pistol with a reflex sight and what combo of gun and sight are you using? Any favorite combos if more than 1?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still working on my own RMR but I tried few of my friends by now. Takes a little bit of getting used to. My Canik TP9 SFX is waiting for an RMR but I'm in the middle of some personal stuff so I havent been looking around for one yet.

Boolit Master
    I've used them for many years. I've owned at least two dozen red dots over the years, both can style and reflex. I find the reflex more difficult to use in some ways, but they have advantages in other ways. They're smaller and more "holster friendly", and reduce weight a little bit. The down side to them is that they have less features than the can style sights, and it's harder to find the dot as quick with them until you use it a LOT and practice enough to find it quickly. For hunting deer they're about equally effective. I used the reflex sights for steel plate shooting as well as the can style. I had similar results with both (very good results I might add). If someone asked me which they should get for all around use, I'd suggest the can style. For steel plates I'd suggest the reflex. Again, the can styles offer a lot of options such as various reticles, dot sizes, choice of colors, etc. You can get either style with a lifetime warranty. I use Burris FF3's and Vortex Venom's right now for the reflex styles. I've mounted them on 44mags using full power loads and even put them on a couple of rifles including a 45-70 and they both worked well and held up well. There are other good brands, some of which cost a lot more money (I've owned some of them), but they simply don't do any more than the two I mentioned. For can style, I've found the UltraDots to be very good. They also have a lifetime warranty. I've used them on several custom built revolvers and several custom built semi-autos. I've had way too many handguns to keep track of regarding red dot sights, but for the last twenty-five years or so I've had them on all my handguns.

Boolit Master
    I have used the Trijicon RMR with 9 MOA Green dot on my Walther Q5, a 1911 and my RRA PCC 9mm, great sight, if I needed another RMR I would get a Trijicon RMR. I shoot USPSA matches with the RMR equipped guns.

Boolit Master
    I have done a number of them, I am a USPSA competition shooter. I have had my M&P 9L with both a Trijicon dual illuminated rmr and Leopold Deltapoint Pro. I have also had a Fastfire 3 on it. My current setup for Carry Optics is my TP9 SFX with the Deltapoint Pro and the combo is fantastic. I have the 7moa triangle.
    If I was about to build another I would probably go with the Holosun 507C. That is another great little dot optic that is a little under the radar right now. My new Atlas custom being built now will have a frame mounted Holosun 510C.

These are all competition setups but that is not a bad place to look and gather ideas. Pretty much anything you will see in Carry Optics division is doable as a carry or personal defense choice.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Super Moderator

I've got a Burris Fastfire 3 on a couple of handguns. One is a Marvel 1911 22LR conversion, the other is on a T/C Contender 10" 357 Mag. I bought another FF3 to put on a Ruger Single Six, but I haven't mounted it yet. While the FF3 is no RMR, they seem pretty rugged and have served me pretty well thus far.

Boolit Master
    I have a Cmore systems on a Browning Buckmark but I'm not real happy with it there. Thinking on trying it on a Win 92 in 25/20.

Boolit Grand Master

I've a FF2 on a Ruger Bisley 41 Magnum and carry it in a slightly modified Uncle Mike's shoulder holster. I also have a FF3 on a Colt M1911 45 ACP. Both work quite well but do take a bit of "getting used to" to find the dot quickly. I found just pointing the handgun at the target brings the dot into view. If I try to look for the front sight (a hard habit to break) the muzzle is too high and it takes some searching to find the dot. Once I got used to it though it is very fast and accurate.

Attachment 239630Attachment 239631Attachment 239632
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    My M&P did have a C-more railway on an SJC 90° mount for some time. Not an rmr size deal but still a red dot. I would not recommend that setup. It took a lot of modification to get the mount to stay halfway stable. Between the mount and dot, it was an uphill battle to keep any resemblance of dot zero. A constant effort in frustration.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

I have been using the red dot tube sites for years on anything that I hunt deer with. Mostly 657's and 610's, we can't hunt with a semi auto in illinois.

I played around with a Vortex on my 696 before moving it to my Bisley 41 mag

Boolit Master
    I have one on a pistol and it works great for me.

I love red dots for handguns. The only problem, my eyes don’t work very good with them anymore. The dot went from small and round to large and blobbish. I took a picture of the dot with my phone, and in the picture the dot looks small and round. I will have to ask for advice at my next eye exam.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Groo here
    Got one on my house gun, a TP9 SFX, shoots +P+ , 5in barrel ,accurate, good triger with out mod , and, 20 rounds..........
    Looking for one to put on my G-40 , 6in 10mm.....
    But the new M&P Shield 45 PC 4in has my hands sweating......

Boolit Bub
    I'm a big fan of red dots for certain guns/roles. Most of my pistol red dots are mounted on Glocks, including my main jacket weather carry gun (in WI that makes it my main carry gun). Great for quick acquisition as long as you basically rely on muscle memory to pick up the sights. Depending on the size of the dot they are easy to be very precise with too. Before I got into them I worried about the battery life a bit but since I've had an RMR (one of the models that is constant on) mounted on a Ruger MKIII for over two years without visible dimming that worry has gone away. All that being said, some of my guns with irons consistently shoot better than those with red dots as long as I do my job.

Boolit Master
    Owned some for years and they have certain features that work quite well.

If you fail to think they work,, look at the USPSA Open category & watch the top shooters use them. The speed at which they are able to acquire & engage targets is amazing.
    Consistent grip,, with a proper grip method gives them an natural pointing & the speed to engage things with blazing times.

New folks to dots find them a bit harder to use,, as they often do not have a proper gripping method,, and an improper grip. When things are aligned,, the dots are FAST!

As for them going from a sharp dot to blurry,, thank your aging eyes. Get proper shooting prescription glasses & things get sharp again.

Boolit Buddy
    I have acquired a handful of both types. IMHO, the tube type seems to shield it's front lens better from bad weather if you are using it for hunting conditions. Another thing that I have noticed is both type sights eliminate the need for " longer sight radius" to get a better aim. One thing I have noticed for me it is easier to center the red dot in the round tube style when I need to do it for accuracy testing.

Boolit Master
    Sig 320 RX compact. Factory direct. Suppressor height night sights, allows for choice of open sights and or mini reflex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080967.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	239707

Been using red dots on handguns and carbines since the mid 80's, wouldn't be without them. Mostly, Armson/Trijicon offerings.

Name:	P1020376.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	140.6 KB 
ID:	239708

Name:	2323.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	239709

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

A lot more popular than I thought they would be here. Love the idea of one on a brush gun. Right now I have a 1.5-5 Burris on my 1895GS

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    A lot more popular than I thought they would be here. Love the idea of one on a brush gun. Right now I have a 1.5-5 Burris on my 1895GS
    Win 1886 45-70. Turnbull mount. Shoots great. Thought I'd try it and I was getting five shot sub 2moa at 114 yards. Burris FF3 and it holds zero with no problem.
    Attachment 239710

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast