RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Savage 110 pre 2003 scope base help

Savage 110 pre 2003 scope base help

Howdy, I've got a savage 110 pre 2003 and im looking for some help. I am wanting to change my mounts. I have leupold rifleman 2 piece bases, and while they position my scope rings well, They are a touch high. I have KwikSite bases, that I dont like the positioning of the scope rings, but I like the height better. They are lower. So, I am hoping that those with this rifle, and different mounts, could measure the height of their bases and let me know.

Weaver 61 rear and 402 front bases is the main one im looking at.

Also im looking at warne https://warnescopemounts.com/product/m902936/

Im also looking at getting a 1 piece base, and cutting it to make 2 piece bases, https://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-170-s...long-base.aspx

Anyone have any of these bases and are willing to measure the height of either the front or rear, Id appreciate it. Id also appreciate any other suggestions for bases that might be suitable.

Thanks

Bazoo

Boolit Master
    Don't know if they still make them but regarding the weaver bases get the steel grand slam ones. They look nicer, wear better than the older aluminum ones and the weight difference is not much more. For scope rings I only use Burris rings with the inserts after seeing what Ruger rings did to an expensive scope. the Ruger rings were not properly machined and literally left huge rings on the scope. I had to file out the rings then lap them. Frank

I was looking at the Burris zee rings, but after doing some research ended up going with Nikon a series. They are vertically split rings and all the research I've done says that alignment problems are negated with them. The bonus for me is that the rings are a little thinner than most, allowing me to mount the scope back a little farther. Just far enough.

I have kwik site extended bases but they hang over the receiver too far. The leupold bases don't encroach on the breech access. With the leupold bases and Nikon rings eye relief is perfect but a touch high. I'm thinking that the weaver bases have slot placement that is suitable if the height is right.

Boolit Master
    I've always favored the weaver top mount rings, the low mounts are really low! Some folks don't like them because they cant the cross hairs when tightened up.

Been thinking on the weaver rings. Reason I am unsure is because of scope length. Those rings are wider and would put my scope an estimated 1/8 inch foreward. I might be alright but I'm not sure without loosening the scope. I'm eventually going to change scopes though, I think what I want is an older leupold m8 but I might settle for a weaver k4.