Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Henrys sure do have nice wood.

Boolit Master

Henrys sure do have nice wood.

Was at my local gun shop and checking out the Henry rifle section and was amazed by how most of them had just beautiful wood. Asked the counter guy why no Marlins and he said they got tired of sending them back when angry customers brought them in due to issues. They tried inspecting them closer before putting them on the rack and he said over 50% didn't cycle properly, had canted sights, messed up rifling, etc. He also said they rarely get a Henry back, but it does happen.

Attachment 239614
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Marlin seems to be getting their game together better. Henry's are great levers. Many do not like the loading feature of Henry's however and are addicted to the side gate of the classic Marlins and Winchesters. I prefer the Henry system as all the side gate loading does is smash cartridge noses and irritate me. Don't need the speed loading feature either.

I have the Henry in 22 magnum and love it. It has taken a beating being carried on my tractor and 4 wheeler and stands up. Only thing I would like to see Henry do is D&T the side for a 94 type receiver sight. The Skinner sights are great but I would like the option. I did D&T the 22 magnum and it works just fine. They are beautiful rifles.

DEP

Vendor Sponsor

Henry is going to have to send Marlin a salesman of the year award
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy

About a year ago I bought a big boy steel in 44 magnum. It has become my favorite "do everything" rifle. Yes, it has beautiful wood..

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Has anyone put a solvent soaked rag to one of those fine Henry sticks?
    Several of the italians use water dipped stocks to get a good looking cheap product.
    So maybe beauty is only skin deep!

Moderator Emeritus

One thing about Henry...if you have an issue (I did with my Big Boy Steel 41 Mag), they will send you a prepaid shipping label to return it to them if there is a problem, forgoing the usual going through the dealer with a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Has anyone put a solvent soaked rag to one of those fine Henry sticks?
    Several of the italians use water dipped stocks to get a good looking cheap product.
    So maybe beauty is only skin deep!
    Henry rifles are made in Wisconsin... Which is in the US, and populated mostly by descendants of Germans. My great grandparents moved there from Germany in 1913. My grandparents moved out here in 1946.

No italians in sight...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    One thing about Henry...if you have an issue (I did with my Big Boy Steel 41 Mag), they will send you a prepaid shipping label to return it to them if there is a problem, forgoing the usual going through the dealer with a problem.
    Yup, I had a problem with my first Henry and sent it in thur my LGS, never charged a cent and had it back in less than 2 weeks with a new barrel and a "sorry you had a problem" note. Great product better service!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Henry rifles are made in Wisconsin... Which is in the US, and populated mostly by descendants of Germans. My great grandparents moved there from Germany in 1913. My grandparents moved out here in 1946.

No italians in sight...
    Italians also make cheap shotguns like Perazzi, if you are like me a second mortgage your house to get one. Ubertis are not all bad either. Pedersoli made a muzzle loading rifle that did very well in 1000 yard matches. But you are correct in that Henry's are American made. I suspect they also have very modern machining equipment. A while back there were a few that were wishing for a 327 mag rifle and Henry came through and produced one. Henry also has a 41 magnum that many Marlin users yearn for in a Marlin. They were made but rare. Henry 357 Rifles were available while Marlin never produced them. Marlin is getting back into the swing of things and are actually less expensive than a Henry but not by much.

DEP