Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Encore 50 ML barrel for a stub build??

Boolit Master

Encore 50 ML barrel for a stub build??

Would a TC Encore 50 cal ML barrel be useable to do a stub build?

I got a 50 cal corroded ML barrel gifted and it's Way beyond useable as ML unless it gets rebored and I already have too many ML.

Thinking I'd like a Hornet.
    And who or where can that be done?

Thanks. 10ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    89 views and no replies! ****, somebody say sumthin. I got plenty mater stakes and doan need nuther one. Can that thing be used for a stub build or not?? 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    I wouldnt think it was much use as a tomato stake........wood is better..........

USMC 77, USRA 79

Way beyond my expertise
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

You want to cut the breech end off and stub a .22 barrel into it? No reason not to.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator Emeritus

I have seen a few done with a contender, no reason that shouldn't work. 22 and 30 cal take off barrels are the easiest to find and I would think that a 30 could be run up to 300 savage pressures safely.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have done many stubs but have no experience with Encores.
    But, like usrca said I don't see why not. If TC makes them in 22 hornet and you can buy the extractor it would save a lot of work to not have to make or modify one.
    It should be a straight forward stub job unless it has one of those quick change type breech plugs.

Jedman

Goes to show what I know I didn't even know that the encore was used with a ml bbl

That 50 Mag × 209 is a good barrel but ... I say BUT ... the encore muzzle loaders have that removable breech plug. This leaves the breech with an open area behind the barrel of the distance of the rim thickness of the breech plug. This amounts to something like 1/2 inch.

The workaround would be to silver solder that breech plug into the barrel so you could machine bore the plug along with the barrel for the stub to work. Threading the barrel stub along with the breech plug would work and your good point would be that the extractor for the 50 is to remove the 209 primers and thus would work for just about any cartridge you choose.

Srry for the lateness of this post ... was going back through past threads and seen this one.

Reason I even know a little about this particular subject is ... I also have a 50×209 barrel that I have considered this very project.

Boolit Buddy
    The T/C Encore 209X50 can be used for a barrel stub, but I find it's use better with the smaller cartridges, and the 22 Hornet is perfect!

Even if the barrel has the quick change breech plug and you are building a barrel stubbed barrel instead of an insert, the new barrel can be ran through the stub to the breech face, and allow it to stop about about .003 short.

If the outside of the barrel is not rusted and still looks good, you could do a permanent insert without adding a lot more weight to the gun.

Either way, it is very doable.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    The T/C Encore 209X50 can be used for a barrel stub, but I find it's use better with the smaller cartridges, and the 22 Hornet is perfect!

Plus one on the smaller cartridges but something I would want to ask the manufacturer before selecting a cartridge is what kind of steel is that barrel made of? Most ML barrels are just mild steel since that's all they need to be and as such may not be up to the punishment of a large/high pressure cartridge even in a stub application. I am not saying that particular barrel would not be suitable for such cartridges but considering the material and strength of most true BP only barrels it would seem prudent to find out for sure before starting such a project.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post

Plus one on the smaller cartridges but something I would want to ask the manufacturer before selecting a cartridge is what kind of steel is that barrel made of? Most ML barrels are just mild steel since that's all they need to be and as such may not be up to the punishment of a large/high pressure cartridge even in a stub application. I am not saying that particular barrel would not be suitable for such cartridges but considering the material and strength of most true BP only barrels it would seem prudent to find out for sure before starting such a project.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    I called T/C about this and was told these barrels were made from 416 stainless steel.