RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring Question - 220v Bullet Master Caster

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Anthony,

This is a forum of shooters. Not electricians. A lot of the advice you've gotten here is worse than useless. Virtually every thread I've seen here asking for electrical advice is full of very poor or worse advice.

Run what you think is best. Or if you've got a sparky for a friend ask him. Or just hire one. Good luck.

Cat
    This is very sound advice. gwpurcel suggested this back in post #3. As a former licensed electrician I have seen both very good and very bad work done by homeowners. And even some "electricians".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    Doesn't work that way.

Your house has two hot leads coming in to it. L1 and L2. The voltage from L1 to L2 is 220v (sine wave). There is a Neutral wire at zero volts. The voltage from L1 to Neutral is 110v. (Top half of sine wave). The voltage from L2 to Neutral is 110v. (Bottom half of sine wave).

On a 220v volt circuit each leg (L1 and L2) is seeing the full load. In Anthony's case 12.5 Amps.
    Yes, exactly. And good luck trying to find a 10 amp breaker that'll fit your home panel! A fine example of what I was talking about.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Fella's; thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I have been out of town and away from the computer for a few days, and am not in a hurry to get this done. I'll ask around for more help before moving forward. And no, I won't let my son make the connections for me!
    Tony

Banned

sorry but YOU are wrong. If you have a motor that draws 30 amps and feed it with 110 you will have 30 amps on that wire. If you feed it with 220 you will have 15 amps on each leg as the motor doesn't magicaly take 60 amps to run because it is hooked up 220.

Amps=wattage divided by voltage. So if you have a motor that draws 480 watts at 120 volts you get 4 amps draw, power it by 240 volts and each leg gets 2 amp of draw. If it didn't nobody would use a 240 volt motor because it would result in using twice the wattage (what your billed for) then the same size motor in 120 volt. Wattage is voltage x amperage. So a 240 volt motor drawing 2 amps for one hour is 480 watt hours, a 120 volt motor drawing 4 amps gives you the same 480 watt hours. If that 240 volt motor still drew 4 amps on each leg your meter would spin twice as fast and youd use 960 watthours. What the 240 motor gives for advantage is the ability to use smaller conductor with a given hp motor because the amperage is split between two legs not one and it also puts an equal load on both sides of your breaker box so you keep your load balanced. Sorry bud but I was an electrical lineman for 35 years and its not my first rodeo. I also know how your meter works and I think I might even know that your house has two hot legs coming into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    Doesn't work that way.

Your house has two hot leads coming in to it. L1 and L2. The voltage from L1 to L2 is 220v (sine wave). There is a Neutral wire at zero volts. The voltage from L1 to Neutral is 110v. (Top half of sine wave). The voltage from L2 to Neutral is 110v. (Bottom half of sine wave).

On a 220v volt circuit each leg (L1 and L2) is seeing the full load. In Anthony's case 12.5 Amps.

Boolit Buddy
    "240 volts, 12.5 Amps and 3000 watts from the Magma website."

“12.5 amps means 6.24 on each leg so a 10 amp breaker is fine and so would be #14 wire. You sure don't need anything bigger then 12 for it.”

“Amps=wattage divided by voltage. So if you have a motor that draws 480 watts at 120 volts you get 4 amps draw, power it by 240 volts and each leg gets 2 amp of draw. “

Loyd

I sure don’t have the experience you have. I am a bit confused.

If the pot is using 12.5 amps, 3000 watts divided by 240 volts. Wouldn’t it require 25 amps to run on 120 volts if you wanted the same wattage (3000 watts)?

The pot is 3000 watts. The voltage is 240 volt. So the amperage is 12.5 amps.
    The motor is 480 watts. The voltage is 240 volt. So a 2 amp draw each leg.

How do you get the 6.24?

As far as distance any decent electric supply place with have a chart for wire ga
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    The best advise given so far is employ a qualified electrician, we don't do an apprenticeship on low wages for years just for the job title.

Boolit Master

Lloyd,

AnthonyB states that this pot draws 12.5 amps @ 240 volt. Twelve point five at two forty, man. No where is anyone saying anything about feeding anything with 120.

Cat

Banned

If the pot is using 12.5 amps, 3000 watts divided by 240 volts. Wouldn’t it require 25 amps to run on 120 volts if you wanted the same wattage (3000 watts)?
    Think of amps as the push behind the voltage. watts is the power used. Be it 120 or 240 if its 3000 watts are need it takes 25 amps to push it. Difference is if you power it with 110 the 25 amps is on one leg. Run it 240 and the amperage load is still 25 amps but its split between two conducters each carrying 12.5 amps. All it does on something like a pot is allow you to use smaller conductor and smaller breakers. It wont heat up faster or heat up hotter or make your meter spin slower.

How do you get the 6.24?
    call it a brain fart. 3000 watts at 240 would take 12.5 amps on each leg. 25 amps on 110. So in the case of this 220 pot a 20 amp breaker and #12 wire would be plenty. A 15 amp 220 breaker and #14 would get it done. The nec puts lots of safe leeway in what they demand for safety reasons.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-22-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Loyd

I have had more than one of those brain farts myself. I hate when I climb up a ladder take a measurement climb down to cut the board and then can't remember what the measurement was. LOL

Boolit Master

Lloyd,

You need to stop posting in these sorts of threads.

3000 watts @ 120 volts = 25 amps. 25 amps on the black, and 25 amps on the white. Two conductors.

3000 watts @ 240 volts = 12.5 amps. 12.5 on the black, and 12.5 amps on the white. Two conductors.

Cat

Banned

did I say something different?? amperage is the same measured anywhere in the circuit. You seem pretty quick to give answers yourself but then tell us that we shouldnt look here for advice. Or is it just everyones advice but yours? Don't see where this post added a thing to what was not already said. Are you a licensed electrician??
    Lloyd,

You need to stop posting in these sorts of threads.

3000 watts @ 120 volts = 25 amps. 25 amps on the black, and 25 amps on the white. Two conductors.

3000 watts @ 240 volts = 12.5 amps. 12.5 on the black, and 12.5 amps on the white. Two conductors.

Cat
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 04-23-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Anthony,

This is a forum of shooters. Not electricians. A lot of the advice you've gotten here is worse than useless. Virtually every thread I've seen here asking for electrical advice is full of very poor or worse advice.

Run what you think is best. Or if you've got a sparky for a friend ask him. Or just hire one. Good luck.

Cat
    What about my advice to just hire a real electrician ?.... My father was a one and I helped him rewire many a homeowner's botched electrical jobs that wouldn't pass building inspection.
    He alway's told me it would have been cheaper if the homeowner had let him do the job correctly from the get go .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

ADMIN

Enough

Watts = volts times amps

Watts/volts = amps

Yes 10-2/12-2/14-2 Romeo is what I meant.
    I think of conductors.
    240 is two hots and a ground.

Amp load is on all wires.
    That is why a 20 amp double pole breaker is 20 amps per pole

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12