Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: primers for BP pistols

Boolit Buddy

primers for BP pistols

I'm shooting a 1860 rep. and I'm using #11 remington caps. it take two hits with the hammer falling to fire them. I tried to pry them on to the nipple with a tool. I've just gotten some #10 and#11 CCI caps. I haven tried them yet. (I have a "LOT" of the remington caps) any one have any ideas???
    Pat

Boolit Master
    Both my ROA and NMA often require two strikes to ignite Rem #11 caps. They do well with Rem #10’s, and the nipples from TOTW claim they are designed for CCI’s standard (non magnum) caps, but I can’t find a single tin to try so I just use the Rems.

Boolit Master
    Fellas you HAVE to fit your nipples and caps - if you have a "lot" of the wrong caps - get a replacement set of nipples and hand fit them so the caps go on properly (full depth - if it takes two hits then for sure your nipple is oversize for the cap and cap is not seating down on the nipple) spin the nipple in a drill chuck and reduce the diameter slowly with a fine file till the cap fits neat.
    You get a lot of talk here about fancy nipples (ampco, stainless - whatever) they might work better but the ordinary steel niples came with the capgun work fine if the cap fits em.

The other part of the puzzle is ...... have you checked to be sure the gun dont have a piece of broken cap down its innards (stuck inside the curve of the hammer ?)

Arrow

Yes, Fit your caps to your nipples as indian joe said (above) and replace the factory ones with Slix Shot ones from Badman Enterprises. I had the 2-strike issue with my Ruger Old Army as well, but the Slix Shot nipples cured the problem immediately.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Ive never had issues with remington caps, all i use is remington 11s...they go off with one hammer strike even on some of the stock nipples they fit loosely on. Hmm...thats odd. Ive had to double strike CCI caps, but never remingtons. I use slixshot nipples now whenever im using store bought caps...never have issues with those nippples. They fit perfectly. Although when i make my homemade percussion caps they fit stock pietta nipples and the inexpensive stainless steel nipples from oxyoke (around $15 a set) perfectly. I actually have no problem with stock nipples...i use them and havent ever run into a problem with them aside from them being too small for cci #11 and remington #11s...which is why i only use them for homemade caps. They fit cci#10 just fine tho...i just dont like the CCI caps and prefer remington all the way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    Ive never had issues with remington caps, all i use is remington 11s...they go off with one hammer strike even on some of the stock nipples they fit loosely on. Hmm...thats odd. Ive had to double strike CCI caps, but never remingtons. I use slixshot nipples now whenever im using store bought caps...never have issues with those nippples. They fit perfectly. Although when i make my homemade percussion caps they fit stock pietta nipples and the inexpensive stainless steel nipples from oxyoke (around $15 a set) perfectly. I actually have no problem with stock nipples...i use them and havent ever run into a problem with them aside from them being too small for cci #11 and remington #11s...which is why i only use them for homemade caps. They fit cci#10 just fine tho...i just dont like the CCI caps and prefer remington all the way.
    Take what you can get downunder - usually Remington or CCI in Gunshops, one good supplier of RWS but have to find him at a shoot or gunshow.

Indian joe...if you dont mind me asking, where are you located?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOutlawKid View Post
    Indian joe...if you dont mind me asking, where are you located?
    I'm an Aussie

Boolit Master
    polish the nipple cones that will make them smooth and a tad smaller. that will solve your problem.

Boolit Master
    Looks like there were more cap choices back in the day.
    From an old Colt Industries pamphlet:
    "Percussion caps are now made in sizes from nine to thirteen. Ten and eleven are the best numbers for the small and medium-sized arms, and twelve for the larger sizes, although, as different-sized nipples are sometimes met in specimens of the same model, no hard and fast rule can be given. It is better to have caps slightly too large than too small, as large caps can be pinched together at the bottom enough so they will stay on the nipples, but small ones must be driven down on the nipple by the blow of the hammer, and this process frequently cushions the blow to the extent of producing a misfire."

Boolit Buddy
    well my face is a little red. and thanks indian Joe, your idea about cleaning up the nipples was a good one and it worked pretty good. but what I found out today was the gun(uberti 1860) was just plane dirty, really dirty. I broke it down all the way and cleaned it up.(or in your case"down" ) it now shoots #11 remingtons and #11 CCI's. the CCI #10 are too long for the nipples. I have a few winchester caps and they worked ok also. but thanks for all the tips. "O" the felt washer over the powder with a spot of grease on to the top of the wad(under the bullet, worked outstanding. I fired 3 cylinders full with no real fouling. I put a patch through the barrel and fired another 30 to 36 rounds, after running a patch through the barrel again. it looked better the second time. and the gun wasn't very dirty from firing all this .(the outside of the gun)

The Winchester caps are rebranded CCI's, they only have a different label.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    The Winchester caps are rebranded CCI's, they only have a different label.
    Didn't know that! So, buy the cheaper of the two.

Boolit Buddy
    I didn't know about the winchester ?CCi caps, thanks for the indo! thats like win 231/HP38 powders and there are several more lil't gun/ 296 or 4227(if I remember correctly!)