RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chargemaster-potential issue?

Boolit Man
    My tumblers (dry and wet) always go on the garage floor.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
    My tumblers (dry and wet) always go on the garage floor.
    I'm with PowPow on this one. My tumbler is much quieter anyway sitting on the concrete floor in the garage when it runs. So I usually fill it up in the reloading room and when I am ready to run the tumbler I take it out to the garage and let it run all night.

Boolit Man
    I try to limit my exposure to the dust that comes out of the tumbler. Whenever I put the cases in, dump them out, and remove the media after tumbling, I do that with an open garage door or even outside if it's a nice day. The dust can be a health risk with continued exposure. No reason to take risks like that when the air is free.

Boolit Master

My polisher has its own cabinet. Nothing fancy, just a stand made from good sized pieces of scrap plywood. It’s in the shop outside of the reloading room. I don’t want to have to listen to it, never mind the vibration and toxic dust.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

OS OK where did you get the RCBS bracket for upside down use?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

You guys have made me a believer. Tumbler is no longer on the bench.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Master
    vibrators are outside/garage equipment. Reloading tools are indoor equipment.
    NO scale likes vibrations--whether from vibrators or press action. I am sure that every scale warns against vibration, bouncing, dropping loads on pan, etc.
    Keep them on separate benches. I mounted my CM over the press, convenient height to reach it. Currently, it is on a small table that I move next to whichever press I am using.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 20.03.06.png   Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 20.01.39.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    My charge master is on a very heavy, 1 foot deep shelf, bolted to a concrete block wall. It doesn't move. It is also in an area not affected by any drafts. Just walking by the thing can shift a measurement. I dry tumble my brass with dryer sheets, but only after washing it in a hot water / dish soap / "Lemi-Shine" bath. I agitate the brass and rinse it several times before letting dry. I'm guessing that will remove some of the lead particles but the above info seems very logical and prudent. Lord knows I don't need any more health issues. I get my blood tested every year at my routine check-up, and it's all good. Will be using a mask from now on, however. Thanks for threads up.

Boolit Man
    The main toxin in dust that you may be exposed to when dry tumbling, as I understand it, is called lead styphnate. It is a byproduct of primer detonation. I first read about that on Cast Boolits, which is such a wonderful wealth of experience and information. This is the primary reason I tumble out in the garage and remove the media from the tumbled cases outdoors.

Boolit Grand Master

That's why I decap before tumbling - seems like an easy solution. Tumbler is in the garage with the casting stuff, reloading is upstairs. I told LOML when our oldest son moved out "I didn't lose a son, I gained a gun room". She laughed and agreed.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    Not without using an additional extension cord. However, a small table or bench next to my reloading bench would give me enough reach for the power cord.

What do you use for brass cleaning if not a tumbler?
    I built a couple of wet stainless pin brass rotary "wet tumbler" cleaners

I de-prime first so I get clean primer pockets also.

NO DUST you should see how nasty the water is after cleaning a load of brass.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    OS OK where did you get the RCBS bracket for upside down use?

He made it. OS OK likes to wield and putter

Boolit Master
    I can tell you that having precision measuring equipment inside a building next to a street can transmit traffic vibrations to the machines. I would try to isolate the tumbler somewhere else. If you have foot traffic nearby isolate the Chargemaster too,

Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    Hey guys, my RCBS Chargemaster sits next to my RCBS vibratory tumbler on the reload bench. While I don't use the Chargemaster for handgun range fodder loads, I use the tumbler very frequently, sometimes for hours at a time (I like clean, shiny and new-looking brass) but it gets me to wondering...am I setting up a potential problem by having this thing vibrating on the bench next to a digital electronic scale? I haven't noticed any issues but can't help but wonder if maybe I need another separate bench for the tumbler. Anyone experience problems or issues with this?
    EDG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12