MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chargemaster-potential issue?

Chargemaster-potential issue?

Hey guys, my RCBS Chargemaster sits next to my RCBS vibratory tumbler on the reload bench. While I don't use the Chargemaster for handgun range fodder loads, I use the tumbler very frequently, sometimes for hours at a time (I like clean, shiny and new-looking brass) but it gets me to wondering...am I setting up a potential problem by having this thing vibrating on the bench next to a digital electronic scale? I haven't noticed any issues but can't help but wonder if maybe I need another separate bench for the tumbler. Anyone experience problems or issues with this?
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Grand Master
    I am a bit paranoid about stuff like that. I would never put my Chargemaster on the same bench as a tumbler. I have my tumblers on the floor.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Both the vibrating AND the dust aren't going to be good for the Chargemaster. (the dust isn't good for you either)
    can you put the vibrator on the floor when in use?

My friends that still use vibrators leave them run in a separate room/building.

I keep my metering & measuring tools away from the cleaning area and keep them isolated from the vibrations I create on my load bench too. This shelf is supported by a pole & separate base that passes through this loading table without touching and it will adjust in height and direction to face whichever press I'm running at the moment.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Both the vibrating AND the dust aren't going to be good for the Chargemaster. (the dust isn't good for you either)
    can you put the vibrator on the floor when in use?
    Not without using an additional extension cord. However, a small table or bench next to my reloading bench would give me enough reach for the power cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    My friends that still use vibrators leave them run in a separate room/building.
    What do you use for brass cleaning if not a tumbler?

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I keep my metering & measuring tools away from the cleaning area and keep them isolated from the vibrations I create on my load bench too. This shelf is supported by a pole & separate base that passes through this loading table without touching and it will adjust in height and direction to face whichever press I'm running at the moment.

I like that setup! It's possible I need to re-think my whole bench layout. It's getting rather cluttered these days anyway.
    Now that I think about it, I also have my RCBS case thickness gauge and Hornady bullet concentricity gauges close by...and dial indicators are also precision instruments.

Dry tumbling or vibration type brass cleaning is where the highest risk of lead poisoning occurs.
    As the brass gets cleaned the residue in the primer pockets from the primers contains lead. This lead get cleaned out of the pockets gets mixed in with the cleaning media. Any dust from the media has lead in it. If you breathe this dust, you get the lead.
    It may not be much lead, but it adds up over the years.
    If you must dry clean your brass, do it outside. When straining the media from the brass, Do this out side also. You should at least wear a dust mask, better a respirator. Having a fan to blow any dust away from you helps.
    Leo

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Dry tumbling or vibration type brass cleaning is where the highest risk of lead poisoning occurs.
    As the brass gets cleaned the residue in the primer pockets from the primers contains lead. This lead get cleaned out of the pockets gets mixed in with the cleaning media. Any dust from the media has lead in it. If you breathe this dust, you get the lead.
    If you must dry clean your brass, do it outside. When straining the media from the brass, Do this out side also. You should at least wear a dust mask, better a respirator. Having a fan to blow any dust away from you helps.
    Leo
    I never even considered that risk before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Leo!

I am lucky in that my wife has always let me have all the garage space for my gidgets & gadgets but I just don't have the counter space for all the presses. Another thing is the back of the counter usually fills up with everything imaginable...it tends to get out of hand.

One day I decided to try a round bench for the presses and get off the regular bench that holds other tools like the PC oven or vibrator & tumbler or most important...my shop stereo, gotta have them tunes!

At the same time I wanted to separate the dispenser and scales too...it's been this way about 6 years now...been smiling ever since & haven't looked back with regret.

That is pretty ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    Leo
    Given the above, would it make more sense to have two separate tumblers; one for dirty, deprimed brass (using, say, a universal decapping die) from the range and a second one for sized and prepped brass? The dirty brass version could be used outdoors or out of the house keeping all the lead dust away from the reloading area. Just a thought...

Banned
    Charlie, I've seen your bench many times and this is the first time I saw you powder dispenser separated from the table and rotatable for any press. Way cool.

You know me Jim...I always save the best part for last. heheee

Boolit Master
    Another benefit to having your tumbler on the floor is that its quieter cause you don't have the sound of the bench being vibrated along with the tumbler and its even louder if the bench is attached to the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I turn the beam up-side-down on my mechanical scale when I'm not using it to keep the knife edge from vibrating in it's cradle, there is no way I would allow a pressure transducer to vibrate endlessly from tumbler vibration.

Like one guy said already, I'm paranoid about that kind of thing,
    I don't allow my torque wrenches to sit with pressure on them, I won't allow my standards to rub on anything, the measuring equipment is sacred, along with the standards to test & calibrate that equipment.

Boolit Buddy

That center post, with its own base, is friggin' Genius!

Along with what's shown with measuring equipment, that's a solution for bullet feeders that sway and jam when the press is operated, it's also portable/movable for lights when the bench gets moved!

Consider your copyright infringed, I know a good idea when I steal it!

Boolit Man
    I love the rotating stand. Great idea! How heavy (and stable) is that table? Do you get much movement?
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a neat set up, OS!

I would be uncomfortable with my scale close to a polisher. I'll 2nd the suggestion of using the floor. As far as the dust goes, I put a splash of mineral spirits in with the corncob. But my Dillons don't let dust out when covered.

Quote Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
    I love the rotating stand. Great idea! How heavy (and stable) is that table? Do you get much movement?
    I would guess the table at about 60 pounds but theres 100 pounds of lead sitting underneath on two crossbraces...the table doesn't budge or rock. It sits on 3 legs like a tripod and each loading press sits above a leg, you'd have to tip all that weight. The upside down sizer sits between legs but that 100 pounds of lead is across from it on the far side underneath but that press doesn't take much leverage for sizing my casts.

Well, the opinions expressed in this thread have been convincing enough that I have decide to get the tumbler off the bench. Not sure where yet, but it's going...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast