Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advantages of CHL/LTC

Boolit Master

Advantages of CHL/LTC

Got pulled over early this morning going with the flow along I-10E near BW8 for speeding...kept my hands on the wheel, apologetic & courteous with the fine young constable. While pulling out my wallet, he ask me if I got any kind of weapon in the vehicle & I said in my console while handing him my DL & CHL. He ask if it was loaded, I told him loaded mag but not chambered, he then nodded & said he used to carry that way too till he became an LEO. He still ran my license even though he said he's sure it'll be clean & just gave me a warning (78 mph on 65 zone!), shook my hand & admonished me to slow down & don't trade being late to work for an accident.
    2nd time dodging a ticket thanks to my CHL...I know, not because everyone is speeding doesn't mean I have too, but keeping an LEO at ease is my take-away from such traffic stop, unlike those I hear in the news that escalated quickly to horrible outcome just because both ends got edgy, cops have to & will control the situation since they're just doing their job & wanna get home at the end of their shift.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    The only time I got pulled over by the Texas DPS was early one morning, East of Seguin, on I10Eastbound. Coming home from California, it’s 0130 in the morning, hot rod diesel thumpin’ A good tune, ( yep, I was haulin’ it) Skunk car, comes outta nowhere, pull over, hand the young man my Texas LTC and my Louisiana drivers license. “ where’s your weapon? In the side door pocket, is it loaded, yes it’s loaded, ok, get out of the vehicle, and step to the rear of the vehicle, please. Yes,sir” I keep my hands in the clear, get a warning for going 89 in a 75! Whew. So, being a bit of a smart aleck, I jokingly said , what’s ahead of me? He said, and I quote, “ there’s only two of us between Houston and Seguin, and you know where we both are! Have nice trip, be safe.” Needless to say, I got in, he pulled out, went around me, and cut through the median headed westbound. Soon as I saw those lights disappear over the hill, down on the black smoke pedal and away we went! Like to think that my LTC helped me out. Just my story.

Oh, and the skunk car description?? You ever see a Texas DPS State trooper, you’ll know why they are called skunks.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I've had similar experiences in Texas. One county deputy thanked me for "being one of the good guys" after seeing my CHL. In general, Texas DPS troopers are gentlemen. City cops tend to be more jumpy and I can't hold that against them.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I really try not to exceed the speed limit. Usually set cruise control. Last time i was pulled over was 22 years ago for speeding thought limit was 35 instead it was 25 and yes i got ticket.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't give all the credit to the CHL....being nice , respecting the badge and following his instructions and not doing any sudden (stupid) movements with your hands just might have had just a little to do with it...

Verbally and/or physically attacking the officer...like so many think is the correct response...would have yielded a totally different outcome .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Budzilla 19,could you enlighten this dumb aussie to what a skunk car is? please

Boolit Master

I don't speed very much, I have a speed control. Her name is Shari, she sits in the passenger seat.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

Note the stripe,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d74358-GTA5%202017-04-16%2010-23-59-33.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	239605

Boolit Master
    Since I got my CCW, I've been pulled over 4 times. The one time I wasn't carrying, I was on my motorcycle, and I got a ticket that was well deserved. The other times I got a warning. Immediately upon being pulled over, I hand my DL and my CCW to the officer and simply ask "How would you like to proceed?". Each of the three times I was carrying, the officer asked where the weapons were and I politely state where they all are. Only once have I been asked to step out of the vehicle. The LEO did not search the vehicle or me, he only wanted to have me in plain view. I don't use it get out of tickets, just want the LEO and I to be aware and safe. It just seems to get me out of tickets and I aint complaining about it.

My favorite "getting pulled over" story: I went shooting one Saturday afternoon late, then picked up my girlfriend and went to dinner at a friend's house. All the guns we in the back seat in cases. I locked the car when we went into dinner, had a nice dinner and chats, and on the way home, we got caught up in a DWI road block.
    In NH they can set up a road block and pull over every 10th car and check you out.
    I was the 10th car and they shunted me off to the side. The State Trooper came up and asked for my license and registration and if I had anything to drink, to which I replied "....just a beer with dinner" (truth). He shined his light in the back seat and saw the guns and asked what I had there?
    I responded "...well....you asked.....I have three machine guns, two short barreled rifles and two suppressors.....and I added I had all my Form 4's with me if he wanted to see them".
    His response? "....nah....we are just looking for drunk drivers tonight" He handed my license and registration back and said "drive safely".
    LIVE FREE OR DIE!....our NH State Motto!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Note the stripe,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d74358-GTA5%202017-04-16%2010-23-59-33.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	239605
    Close enough...they're driving newer sedans now with some late model SUVs...
    They patrol across city/county lines & not as lenient as local cops in my experience.

Boolit Master
    Okay, I am uninformed. What is a CHL or an LTC?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Okay, I am uninformed. What is a CHL or an LTC?
    Concealed Handgun License/License To Carry

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Concealed Handgun License/License To Carry
    Okay. Thank you. In Iowa, we call it a CCP. Concealed Carry Permit. A CCP also allows for open carry.

Boolit Master
    For many years, as a hobby at night, I was a Square Dance Caller. One October 31 I was dressed real scruffy looking going to a Square Dance in costume, with all my square dance equipment. Most Square Dance callers used cloth pistol cases for our microphones-- so they would be protected. My microphone, in the cloth case, was sitting on the truck seat next to me. A Highway patrolman was passing me when he looked over and saw the pistol case. He whipped in behind and turned on the lights and pulled me over. He walked up on the passenger side with his hand on his holster and demanded to know what I was doing with a gun on the seat. "Its not a gun officer-- its a microphone" He didn't believe me, pulled his gun, and ordered me to keep both hands in sight and open the pistol case slowly. I did as ordered. He says "Its a Microphone!" "yes sir!" "Ok-- you can go now."
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    sav300, its just a slang term for a police car. Black on the bottom, white hood, top, and trunk lid.
    I heard it one time when in lived in the great state of Texas!! I liked it, so I use it to describe the police cruisers.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Banned

ive had similar experience here. Been pulled over 3 times since I got my ccw and Michigan law is you have to immediately inform the officer you have a ccw and a gun on board. Seems like they feel if your responsible enough to tell them for there own safety then your responsible enough to get by with a warning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I've had similar experiences in Texas. One county deputy thanked me for "being one of the good guys" after seeing my CHL. In general, Texas DPS troopers are gentlemen. City cops tend to be more jumpy and I can't hold that against them.

My Mexican friends call the DPS cruisers" Sorillos"- I hope I spelled that right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

It does seem like having a Concealed Carry Permit helps them to relax. That and being courteous. We had an officer come to my high school and talk with us about wearing seatbelts. The conversation moved on to how to behave during a traffic stop. Signal and pull over at the nearest safe location. Lower the window, turn off the motor, have your hands in sight and greet them with some courtesy. That info has gotten me out of a few tickets. In most states you are required to inform them of your permit and if you are armed, probably something you should do even if not required.
    Last edited by lightman; 04-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Years ago I got pulled over and the officer asked for license and registration. I told the officer there was a gun in the glove compartment. He said "OK", and that's as far as it went.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast