RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paperpatching ??

Boolit Master

Paperpatching ??

I've been lurking around here and started thinking about PP for .243. Has anyone tried it? or for smaller calibers like the 22's(.223)?

Boolit Master

I don't know about the .22, but, people have patched the .243. I have heard good things mostly full power loads and good accuracy.
    That casting is so small, you will have to use a cigarette roller to get good results. Any wrinkles will be flattened on sizing however.
    I am deeply considering patching for my 25-06.
    With the .243, I would go as heavy as possible. Patched loads like heavy.

Boolit Master
    I have a 90 and 100 gr mold, and anm going to look for a roller.

Boolit Master

I am not sure I would like to hand roll something that small. A cigarette roller will make short work with it.
    I lay the patch soaking wet in the roller. When I open it up, the soaking wet is gone and the patch is quite tight.
    Great luck. I know I had a ball learning.
    Have you slugged the bore yet? I forged ahead without doing it first.
    I now know, it is simple, and saves a lot of embarassement at the range.
    Remember, paper is going to be between .001, to .0015 per wrap. Two wraps of .001 are going to add up to .002.
    I paper patch to .314 for a .312 groove diameter barrel. It is .304 bore. I size to .308 for the casting, size to .314 for finished patched boolitt. In other words, .002 over groove. A .243 would be .245. I don't know what your bore size is.
    Let me give another reference that works for me,
    My bore is .304. I cast at .312, size to .308. I then wrap with two wraps of notebook paper to .317, and size it to .314. I use JPW for lube, lightly. Makes a nice shiney wrapped boolitt.
    That ratio should be a good start point for your .243.
    I might look for Meade Acadamie Tracing Paper from Walmart at .001. I first used it in my rifle. It is a good strong paper. I ended up with three wraps to make .3135. Three inch groups at 100yds. .314, clover leafs at 100yds! At least untill the barrel got hot. I had not bedded the barrel as of yet.
    Notebook paper I used was .0015.
    Either way, they size nicely in a Lee Push Thru Sizer.
    I would cut it into 1" strips. Easier to handle that way. Then cut the 45* angle. I have some that overlap, some that underlap. I have not found issues that way so far.
    To find my size, I dry rolled the casting on a strip, cut it at 90*, then made my 45* cuts. I then transferred it to a piece of venetian blind our Bengals keep breaking off in all our windows.
    I can lay the paper in the curve, and just snip both ends. The scissors follow the plastic blind without jamming, or cutting the blind.
    I use no glue, egg white, baking soda in the water. I have not found a need to use them. I use and old 9mm cartridge tray to hold the wraps while they dry.
    They shrink right down on the casting.
    I do snip the tails.
    I take fingernail clippers, and snip off what is easy to do without tearing the twist. I have loaded them uncut and noticed no difference. I use starting loads for each boolitt weight.
    So far, so good.
    Good luck.

Boolit Buddy
    I do a PP 224 for my 222rem and yes it is very tedious and very rewarding.
    and by hand rolling only. Went to one of the big tobacco shops at the beach and the lady at the counter said " I don't carry any of those roach rollers". They did have some nice Perdomo cubano maduro churchills MMMMMMMMMMM.

Boolit Master

You hand roll those things!!!!
    I haven't even hand rolled my .303.
    Try in a convience store. That is where I find mine.
    I can imagine a 22-250 on paper.
    Not by hand.

Boolit Master
    There was a time when one could purchase PP ammo for the old .22 WCF.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Used to patch 25cal, got old and now stay with 30 and bigger. No reason why they wont work. Patching for revolvers even works, but couldnt see any advantage there. Just patch for rifles now. Havent run a bare lead bullet down a rifle bore since the 70s.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    ...venetian blind our Bengals keep breaking off...
    How many tigers are running loose in your house?
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Although they think they are, they are actually Asiatic Leopard Cats.
    They break things and do not have great people skills. My wife and myself are the only two people they get near.
    When we travel, we have to take them with us, which they hate, and we have to arrange places well in advance.
    We are jewelers, and, we sleep well at night. The female once attacked a contractors air compressor and won! We had to build shelves over where we sleep. They won't go on the bed when we are in it, they sleep on their perches directly over us.
    They are a little smaller than Bobcats.
    I always wanted an exotic. What the hell was I thinking!
    We serve, we obey! Or else.
    The male likes to watch me paper patch. He just stares at what I am doing. The female likes the gemstones. She always wants one, just one. As soon as we turn out backs, she gets it. She will quietly reach out with one paw and pick up the stone. Even in a parcel, she just wants whatever certain one strikes her fancy.
    We would never part with them, but, we would not do it again.
    Special food, special resting places, special toys for them. On, and on, and on.....
    They do not go outside. Nothing else lives in our house, spiders, flies, anything. They eat them.

Boolit Master
    cool, do they still have claws? I am a dog person. am allergic to cats, so when the dau brings one home, guess who the cat takes to. She won't let anyone else touch/pick her up. I'm O.K. if I wash my hands after I touch her.

Boolit Master

In our house, our trim, and furniture is claw capable.
    I WILL NOT declaw an animal. I have the scars to prove it.
    I specifically made corners they can shred. I built in 2 X 4 s that I can replace. Both the male and female do not use their claws on us anymore. We kind of found a peace with each other.
    We had a dog, back when we first were given these guys. We knew nothing about the breed. We ended upgiving the dog to someone who absolutely loved him.
    Our kittens back then were giving the dog a blood bath when we went to the shop. The dog liked the Bengals, the Bengals did not like him. He was a full grown Schnauser!
    The person we gave him to loved him untill he turned into a butterball! He had been an abused dog when we got him and it took us five years to get him civilized.
    We saw Roscoe the dog a few years ago, and he was very happy. We chose well for him.
    Our Bengals shred our 2 X 4 s for them. Nothing else. When they are worn down, we cut new ones.
    We have peace that way.

Boolit Master
    That's good. Our 2 dogs and 1 cat are all from the rescue shelter near us.

Boolit Master

I always rescue. I have never bought a Yuppie animal. How I was blessed to get these critters I have no clue.
    Hey, sorry the thread got a little hijacked.

Boolit Master
    I've been reading catboat's doctoral thesis on paper patching material and rolled a few .243 boolits I cast from a new rcbs 90gr mold (95gr as cast .243) Rifle uses .244 so I gave them a 2 wrap using 20lb computer printing paper wetted with hot water hand rolled, speed dried in oven then ran through a Lee push through for .245 I'll load them to low end for jacketed 90 gr and blast them at the range tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Hey, sorry the thread got a little hijacked.
    Like life, the road is never straight.

Moderator Emeritus
    Docone31, Now that this thread has gone way of track, you might have to post some pic's of your pets. Or are they camera shy/intolerant (Take my picture and !!!!!).

Now back on track
    Meades Tracing Paper, any info? Don't know if we can find it here downunder?

John
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

I do not know if you have Walmarts down under.
    If not, I suspect, tracing paper, or onion skin would work.
    It has to be .0015.
    That size is what works best for me.
    Here we are, well back on track.

Boolit Master
    we still have a non-supercenter walmart and they carry no tracing paper
    P.S. I want pics too.

Moderator Emeritus
    WALMARTS, NO! We are blessed with the likes of KMart, TARGET, WOOLOWORTHS and COLES.

I will check around their shelves and see what is on offer.

I was in the Newsagents the other day and he had some pads of Tracing paper which did not look like tracing paper at all. More like a thick plastisized semi-translucent paper. Thick, heavy and stiff.

I might look a little strange wondering the shelves with a pair of calipers in hand. A lot of shops down here are VERY shooter intolerant, so if I want somthing for a shooting project and need help to find it, I have another story or I get the "I don't think we carry anything like what you want in stock."

Most place however will give you a side ways glance and help you; my Newsagent is one of these. Great bloke, wicked sense of humour.

I believe that the Dressmaking shops might have a material for tracing patterns which would work. I will check on this as well and it would be available in larger sheet sizes.

John
    Last edited by Bigjohn; 10-21-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Additional material.
    John, a.k.a. Tiny or Stretch
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast