Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with mold Lee

Problem with mold Lee

Today I was doing a boolits half linotype and half a pipe lead, when I went to use the mic I realize that one diameter gives me .311 and passing the half .315.
    Obviously the two halves are not aligned.
    Possible solution for this? Thank you

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Not exactly sure what you are saying the problem is. Is the same bullet different size depending on how it is measured or are the two bullets different size. Is it a new style mold or old? If a single cavity i guess you could lapp it but .004 is a lot to lapp. And thats assuming you can live with .315. If new i would send it back.

Obviously I am not michelangelo, but I think that is how it is best understood.

It is a the same boolit.

Boolit Grand Master

I would say send it back to Lee with a couple castings.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    nueces5,

While I would be able to better help you with seeing a picture of the mold halves, I think that before you think about sending the mold back to either Lee Precision or to the person(dealer) who sold it to you, I would check several things.
    I also wonder how old the mold is. IOW ( In Other Words), is this the first time you, or anyone else have used this mold or not. I will proceed though as if it was you & you have used it before without issues.

1) Look at the "alignment pins & cavities" that are on each mold side. If there is any debris or lead trapped in the hole(s) or sticking to the pins, that would make the mold be open slightly and even "offset" as you describe.

When there is a "buildup" of "stray" lead, or any substance that may have either gotten in to one of the alignment cavities, or stuck to the alignment pins, it will cause the mold to open slightly ( like your 0.004") on one side or the other, (and possibly both) and create a misalignment of the mold halves. One side or the other or both having a gap so that when you put the mold halves together then are not tight to one another. You can test this by squeezing the handles of the mold to keep the halves tight & holding it up in bright sunlight or to a light & see if there is a gap between the two halves. there should be NO LIGHT between them. Id there is light at the end away from the handles, then look at those pins/cavities. if it is towards the handles then look at that set of pin/cavity. Check for debris or lead at that point and it may be the cause.

If that is the cause, the obvious FIX#1 = Clean the pins or cavities. A propane torch waved over the lead if it is lead to melt it & then wiping a damp rag across should help remove any lead. Dirt or debris, etc, should be done with some sort of solvent or cleaning solution & a rag or perhaps a brush, etc.

2) When checking the alignment pins & cavities, also look for any "burrs" or protrusions on the mold faces where the meet together to pour the lead into them. It is the same process as above. You are looking for something that holds the mold faces apart, and causes the mold to "offset" when you bring the handles together. There is a possibility that one or both mold "faces"( with the cavities) either has a bit of lead on it, or some "burr","ding" or protrusion that is keeping the mold faces apart to cause an offset. Check the corners of the mold outsides to see it it has been dropped or banged against something that causes an offset of the mold faces.

FIX#2 = Similar as above FIX#1. Find any burrs , dings or protrusions & remove them by cleaning or light abrasion.

3) There could also be a problem with the handles & how they are pivoting closed. Look at the joint where they pivot & to see if there would be a reason why one would be not meeting the other correctly & evenly to cause one side of the mold to be offset from the other. Also check the points where the handle ends meet the outsides of the mold faces & look for any debris in the grooves for the handles to cause one side, the other or both to not be closing evenly making one side offset from another.

FIX#3 = Once again like above, clean if it is some debris in the pivot, mold handle grooves. If it is a burr, dent or protrusion or some other condition that causes the molds to close offset, then ( without seeing) you will have to try to figure out how to fix such an issue(s).

Lastly, #4, two more things to look at, depending on type of mold( 6 cavity or 2 cavity) is the handle side lengths to see if one is a bit longer than the other, or the holes in the handle ends for the mold attachment screws are offset a little & thus making the mold halves offset as well, Or perhaps one side is longer then the other by a short bit. Another possibility would be the holes in one mold side or the other is just a little bit offset from the other side, making the mold faces offset, or even the combination of all the above listed issues with each contributing to the other & causing the problem.

FIX#4 = If there is a problem with the handles or mold faces having offset holes in either the handles or the mold faces, then you may want to sent to Lee or the deal you purchased from for a replacement, or you can try to fix yourself. If the mold is a 6 cavity & you have another set of handles, you might try to switch handles & see if the problem is just with the handles themselves after check the other possibilities. If the mold is a 2 cavity, then since the handles are "fixed" without being able to change them, you either have to return the mold for replacement, or decide how to modify the handles and mold sides to remove that issue by perhaps drilling out the pins that hold the 2 cavity handles to the mold sides, & then replacing with some other type of fastener , after you have solved the issues with the holes lining up.

Once you have checked for such issues and you still have not found a cause you can fix, you can always try to send back to the person you bought from for a replacement, or Lee Precision & see what they can do for you.

That is about all I can think of, right now, that would cause the issue(s) & how to fix them without sending back to dealer or Lee.

G'Luck! & please let us know what you find & decide to do afterwards.

P.S. - I did not mention "warpage/twisting" of the mold side(s) as a possibility, as I do not think it is very likely that is the issue, but if it is, send it back to dealer or Lee. Another point is that looking at the Lee mold listings, I see that there are more 30 cal. molds than 7.62X39 or 303B molds, but all the 30 cal. molds & the 303B are 2 cavity while there are some 6 cavity available in the 7.62X39 caliber. I would still look at the handles & their attachments to be part of the issue if you do not find anything with the alignment pins/cavities.

While I think it is most likely an alignment pin/cavity issue, or something like that, more so than with the handles, if you are not able to do the work to remedy the situation with handles or mold side offset issues & the pivot holes are misaligned in either one or both, then calling Lee about it would be a good idea so you do not ruin the mold any further in attempting a repair you are not able to do well. It will be Your choice since you are the only one who knows your own abilities to do such things.

P.P.S. - If by chance you have one of the "old style" molds that uses the mold faces themselves to align, rather than pins & cavities to align, then you should move on to FIX#2 and the others.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 04-10-2019 at 12:01 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Voy a volver a publicar en español para intentar ayudar también, así que quizás sea más fácil de entender, aunque no estoy seguro de qué tan efectivo o exacto es el traductor de Google en la traducción.

---------------------------
    nueces5,

Si bien podría ayudarlo mejor a ver una imagen de las mitades del molde, creo que antes de que piense en enviar el molde a Lee Precision o a la persona (comerciante) que se lo vendió, comprobaría varias cosas.
    También me pregunto qué edad tiene el molde. IOW (En otras palabras), ¿es esta la primera vez que usted o alguien más ha usado este molde o no? Sin embargo, procederé como si fuera usted y lo haya usado antes sin problemas.

1) Mire las "clavijas y cavidades de alineación" que están en cada lado del molde. Si hay algún residuo o cable atrapado en el (los) orificio (s) o si se adhiere a los pasadores, eso haría que el molde se abra ligeramente e incluso se "desplace" como usted describe.

Cuando hay una "acumulación" de plomo "perdido", o cualquier sustancia que pueda haberse metido en una de las cavidades de alineación, o pegada a los pasadores de alineación, el molde se abrirá ligeramente (como su 0.004 ") en un lado o en el otro (y posiblemente en ambos) y cree una desalineación de las mitades del molde. Un lado o el otro o ambos tienen un espacio para que al juntar las mitades del molde no estén apretadas entre sí. pruebe esto apretando los mangos del molde para mantener las mitades apretadas y sosteniéndolas a la luz del sol brillante o a una luz y vea si hay un espacio entre las dos mitades. No debe haber LUZ entre ellas. Id hay luz en el extremo alejado de los mangos, luego mire esos pines / cavidades. Si está hacia los mangos, mire ese conjunto de pines / cavidades. Compruebe si hay residuos o plomo en ese punto y puede ser la causa.

Si esa es la causa, el obvio FIX # 1 = Limpie los pasadores o cavidades. Una antorcha de propano ondeaba sobre el cable si es que se derrite y luego se limpia un trapo húmedo para ayudar a eliminar cualquier cable. La suciedad o los residuos, etc., deben hacerse con algún tipo de solvente o solución de limpieza y un trapo o tal vez un cepillo, etc.

2) Al revisar las clavijas y cavidades de alineación, también busque cualquier "rebaba" o saliente en las caras del molde donde se unen para verter el plomo en ellas. Es el mismo proceso que el anterior. Está buscando algo que mantiene las caras del molde separadas y hace que el molde se "desplace" cuando se juntan los mangos. Existe la posibilidad de que una o ambas "caras" del molde (con las cavidades) tengan un poco de plomo, o algunas "rebabas", "ding" o salientes que mantengan separadas las caras del molde para provocar un desplazamiento. Revise las esquinas de las partes externas del molde para ver si se ha caído o golpeado contra algo que cause un desplazamiento de las caras del molde.

FIX # 2 = Similar a la anterior FIX # 1. Encuentre rebabas, golpes o protuberancias y elimínelas limpiando o con una ligera abrasión.

3) También podría haber un problema con los mangos y cómo se cierran girando. Mire la articulación donde giran y para ver si hay una razón por la cual uno no se encuentra con el otro correcta y uniformemente para hacer que un lado del molde se desplace del otro. También revise los puntos donde los extremos de la manija se encuentran con el exterior de las caras del molde y busque cualquier escombro en las ranuras para que las manijas causen que una de las caras, la otra o ambas, no se cierren uniformemente, haciendo que una de las partes esté desplazada de la otra.

REVISIÓN # 3 = Una vez más, como arriba, limpie si hay algunos residuos en el pivote, moldee las ranuras de la manija. Si es una rebaba, una abolladura o una protuberancia o alguna otra condición que haga que los moldes se cierren, entonces (sin ver) tendrá que intentar averiguar cómo solucionar estos problemas.

Por último, #4, dos cosas más a tener en cuenta, según el tipo de molde (6 cavidades o 2 cavidades) son las longitudes del lado del mango para ver si uno es un poco más largo que el otro, o los orificios en los extremos del mango para los tornillos de fijación del molde se desplazan un poco y, por lo tanto, las mitades del molde también se desplazan, o quizás un lado es más largo que el otro en un bit corto. Otra posibilidad sería que los orificios en un lado del molde o en el otro estén solo un poco desviados del otro lado, haciendo que las caras del molde se desplacen, o incluso la combinación de todos los problemas mencionados anteriormente, cada uno contribuyendo al otro y causando el problema .

CORREGIR # 4 = Si hay un problema con las manijas o las caras del molde que tienen orificios desplazados en las manijas o en las caras del molde, entonces es posible que desee enviarlo a Lee o al acuerdo que compró para un reemplazo, o puede intentar arregla tu mismo Si el molde es una cavidad 6 y usted tiene otro conjunto de manijas, puede intentar cambiar las manijas y ver si el problema es solo con las manijas después de verificar las otras posibilidades. Si el molde es una cavidad 2, entonces, dado que los mangos están "fijos" sin poder cambiarlos, debe devolver el molde para su reemplazo o decidir cómo modificar los mangos y los lados del molde para eliminar ese problema tal vez perforando saque los pasadores que sujetan las 2 manijas de cavidad a los lados del molde, y luego reemplácelas con algún otro tipo de sujetador, una vez que haya resuelto los problemas con los agujeros alineados.

Una vez que haya revisado estos problemas y aún no haya encontrado una causa que pueda solucionar, siempre puede intentar enviarla de vuelta apara enviarlo a la persona que compró para un reemplazo, o a Lee Precision y ver qué pueden hacer por usted.

Eso es todo lo que puedo pensar, ahora mismo, que causaría el (los) problema (s) y cómo solucionarlo sin enviarlo de vuelta al distribuidor o a Lee.

¡Suerte! & Por favor, háganos saber lo que encuentre y decida hacer después.

PD - No mencioné la "deformación / torsión" de los lados del molde como una posibilidad, ya que no creo que sea muy probable que ese sea el problema, pero si es así, envíelo de vuelta al concesionario o a Lee. Otro punto es que al mirar las listas de moldes de Lee, veo que hay más de 30 cal. Moldes que moldes de 7.62X39 o 303B, pero todos los 30 cal. Los moldes y el 303B son 2 cavidades, mientras que hay unos 6 cavidades disponibles en el calibre 7.62X39. Todavía vería las asas y sus accesorios como parte del problema si no encuentra nada con las clavijas / cavidades de alineación.

Aunque creo que es más probable que sea un problema de alineación pin / cavidad, o algo así, más que con los mangos, si no puede hacer el trabajo para remediar la situación con mangos o problemas de desplazamiento lateral del molde y los orificios de pivote están mal alineados en uno o en ambos, por lo que llamar a Lee sería una buena idea para que no arruine más el molde al intentar una reparación que no puede hacer bien. Será su elección ya que usted es el único que conoce sus propias habilidades para hacer tales cosas.

P.P.S. - Si por casualidad tiene uno de los moldes de "estilo antiguo" que utiliza las caras del molde para alinearse, en lugar de alinear los pines y las cavidades, entonces debe pasar a FIX # 2 y los demás.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

I had the same problem with some old molds and cured it by putting in a vice and lined up the cavity and drilled holes through the side and put roll pins in it but don't let them stick out to faror the mold wouldn't open and close .will probably have to counter sink the opposite side from the pins.

Thank you very much JBinMN and Redbear
    the mold is of two cavities and has less than 5 months of use
    I think the problem should be some dirt in the mold, because before using it, I made flux with resin and some of the flames reached the mold
    Maybe with a cleanup it's solved
    When I arrive at my house we will see it
    Thank you

Banned
    Used mold that used to work,
    Debris causes gaps, not side to side slippage
    IF everything is clean,
    My guess is alignment pins moved. if mold has a side to side motion when closed that's your problem

Boolit Grand Master

Send it back for 6.00 postage and hope you get a brand new one.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Hitting the LIKE button !

The blocks are not in line. If a cleaning of the mould faces doesn't fix it...do as swheeler says
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Hitting the LIKE button !

The blocks are not in line. If a cleaning of the mould faces doesn't fix it...do as swheeler says
    Nueces5 lives in Argentina.

I'd bet it cost more than $6 to ship a mold back to the USA.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

I'm going to clean the mold and make a new batch, if they continue like this, I'll talk to Lee's Distributor in Argentina ...

Boolit Grand Master

Oops,"far south" I thought he was in Wyoming or maybe Colorado, my mistake.
    Charter Member #148

Oops,"far south" I thought he was in Wyoming or maybe Colorado, my mistake.

No problem, I'm used to
    some years ago a surprised Texan told me foreigner foreigner
    Hahaha

Hey welcome no matter where your at.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Hey welcome no matter where your at.
    thank you, you are very kind

Boolit Grand Master

Yes welcome! Now how does/did a person know you are in Argentina? I went to your profile and didn't see that, maybe I missed it? JBinMN knew how?
    Charter Member #148

Yes welcome! Now how does/did a person know you are in Argentina? I went to your profile and didn't see that, maybe I missed it? JBinMN knew how?
    This will explain, when nueces5 joined he told us.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Newbie-casting
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks. Now that make it a little more difficult for him;-(
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast