Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's in your Garden?

Boolit Grand Master

In the morning I start my search for a couple of heirloom Louisiana Mirliton plants .
    I have had bad luck trying to grow them from seeds . Year before last I found a local variety called " Papa Sylvest" that grew and produced well , I hope the nursery has them again this year.
    Getting a craving for some good shrimp stuffed mirliton ...that's a creole delight !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Hops are sprouting, time to get the twine up to let them climb.

That's enough gardening for me.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a huge snowdrift over the garden again... grrrr

Boolit Buddy

Right now snow, and there is a fantastic crop! We have a 90 day growing season here (south UP of Mi) so week before Memorial day planting begins. Ends in mid June with potatoes and carrots for winter. I look at & decide based on the days to harvest in the seed catalog when buying seeds. Have a few things I will never grow due to deer breaking thru the electric fence. Had them breaking in late June due to spaghetti squash last year. Nothing like < an hr from growing to table. Really applies to sweet corn! Got to kill the weeds in the raspberry patch & restart this year. Had a fungus type disease gradually reduce the raspberries to a few handfuls. Usually shed about 10 # gardening and weeding and some more weeding.

Banned
    going to snow today, in the hot house is bitter melon, watermelon and cantaloupe. nothing in the ground yet

Boolit Master
    Weeds and mud...
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Here in Central VA, we just finished stripping the sod to expand our garden. By our rough measurements, we've ot 1,668 sq.ft. of garden space..

We've got 4 trays of seeds started and in under the grow lamp. Sunflowers, peppers, (jalapeno, habanero, reaper, big jim-mild and medium, couple colors of bell, and cayenne), couple types of cukes, some spaghetti squash, fennel, about 8 different types of tomatoes (if you haven't tried Cherokee Purple, you're missing out) carrots and a bunch of greens in our raised beds as well.

Last year, the rain killed us on gardening. All of our tomatoes split and rotted, and a lot of carrots rotted in the ground before we could pick them.

We're hoping this year is better.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Snow is almost gone here. A few chunks in peoples yards yet. Think I’m going to soak a few ground cherry seeds and start the germination process.

Boolit Master
    I just planted a few potatoes in some cold mud, just because it is Good Friday and you are supposed to have your potatoes in by then. Still a little snow on the garden, but will be gone tomorrow,about the last of the 25 inches that fell during the "bomb cyclone" that hit us last week. We actually had thundersnow and lightning hit our internet reciever and with no internet and TV for a week I was plenty sick of winter, at least we didn't lose electricity like many did.

Deer probably haven't looked lately had a moose a couple weeks ago dang ungulates

Boolit Master
    Yesterday I planted 5 gallon pails over the top of my plants to keep them from getting bit by the weather. We are predicting a better than not chance of a flash freeze and snow tonight, so I hope this tactic will keep the plants alive for the warming that is due 2 days after this clod blast.

Boolit Master

Cut my first asparagus and had it for dinner last night.
    Yummy,...dale

Moderator Emeritus

Started cleaning up the garden. Section I didn't use last year was weed city so raked that out and peeled back the irrigation lines. It is ready to till then put down landscape cloth and lay the lines back down. Going to use that area for cukes, squash, watermelons this year... maybe pumpkins...

Cleaned out the cut in half 55 gallon barrels I use for herbs. My chives are up and about 4" tall so going to pick a few of those for supper tonight! Started working on the tomato section, need to pull 3 fences and put down new landscape cloth there too...

NOT used to working in 80 degree heat! Worked up a good sweat!

Boolit Master

Still snow covered

Boolit Master

Started to dry out last week, but rained almost 2.6" Yesterday.
    Pretty wet right now. Water lies low here in the swamp.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Garlic is up - That's about it so far
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    I planted two varieties of beans, okra, and squash today.

Boolit Buddy
    Last year was terrible here with too much rain. I planted okra 4 times and still had a pitiful crop. My tomatoes did poorly too. This year I bought some 72 hole seeding starters and planted 2 with okra seeds. Today I transplanted 1 row of 24 plants 2 foot apart. The rest will get an extra week to grow more roots. I haven't planted squash for 2 years and hope I've broken the life cycle on vine borers. Today I set 12 transplants. Forecast is for a decent rain Friday. I hope we get some, my soil is a little dry and am headed out of town for a few days.

I'll have a row of pepper and at least 2 more rows of okra to plant and 20 tomato plants. I can't plant any snap beans or southern peas any more for deer and rabbits...and my garden in in town and fenced in.

Moderator Emeritus

More garden cleanup today, need to till where 2 rows of tomatoes were and then put down new landscape cloth and replace the fences. Rest of the fences took a beating form snow load this year so I have to straighten them and replace the wood posts... need to find a bunch of used steel T posts...

Boolit Grand Master

Better Boy and Whopper Tomatoes . Jalapeno and Gypsy peppers .
    Sugar Baby Water melons . Some Giant Sunflowers .... they are so pretty .
    When the rain stops I'm going to find one more thing to grow...have one empty spot .
    Gary
    No farmer but I try
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast