Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: muzzle cover?

Boolit Master

muzzle cover?

Hope I got this in the right place. Been wondering about this for awhile. I want to keep a coach gun just under my side of the bed. No kids or anyone to mess with it here. I want to keep dust balls or dog hair from getting in the muzzle. Would a piece of clear shipping tape or masking tape be any kind of an obstruction? I've heard of cases where snow caused some bad stuff. Not willing to try it out myself.
    Last edited by big bore 99; 04-10-2019 at 04:46 AM.

Banned
    Do as your health teacher said. PUT A CONDOM ON IT. I would buy the unlubed kind personally.

I used to use black electricians tape on bp guns when hunting in bad snow, it does no harm.

Tape, condom, balloon all would work

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by big bore 99 View Post
    Hope I got this in the right place. Been wondering about this for awhile. I want to keep a coach gun just under my side of the bed. No kids or anyone to mess with it here. I want to keep dust balls or dog hair from getting in the muzzle. Would a piece of clear shipping tape or masking tape be any kind of an obstruction? I've heard of cases where snow caused some bad stuff. Not willing to try it out myself.
    No harm I use duct tape on all my muzzle loaders in crappy weather ,no effect except it keeps the barrel contents dry/Ed

Boolit Master

Depending upon your size... condom or balloon as they do not leave a sticky mess! My shotgun for deer season always sports protection!

Moderator Emeritus

What we've done often, in snowy/globs of ice falling from tree leaves conditions, is before going out making sure the crown is oil-free, and apply a round band-aid. They stick well enough to keep whatever from falling in the barrel bore, and remove instantaneously upon firing. Plus, they're a colour which enables them to be readily seen. Amazon has https://www.amazon.com/Spot-Bandage-...ateway&sr=8-26
    I've used the Band-Aid brand, but suspect these are quite similar.
    geo

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Unlubricated PX Trojan from the official Cold War era West Berlin propaganda packaging, marked "Made in USA, Size Medium"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Electrical tape works pretty good.

Moderator Emeritus

Finger cot.
    OR
    just cut off the finger off of a latex glove.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to shoot it off then condom , balloon, or other thin rubber sleeve will work. A piece of tape will work also.
    Even the heavier plastic protectors for ARs and M14/M1as aren't a problem if shot off as far as pressure but accuracy does suffer. The ARs will go about 50 yds downrange when shot off. ( Wife and daughter both launched one during sighter stage at a match).

One reason for the lack of effects is the protector isn't "in" the barrel but outside of it.

Boolit Master
    Electrical tape on the muzzle of any rifle I hunt with....it is gone by the time the bullet gets there when you fire and has not caused any damage to any of my guns in over 50 years of hunting.

Banned
    The muzzle covers mentioned above are all good options but I have to wonder why you would even need a muzzle cover on a shotgun stored under a bed?

The gun is indoors and under a bed. It should be examined occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The muzzle covers mentioned above are all good options but I have to wonder why you would even need a muzzle cover on a shotgun stored under a bed?

The gun is indoors and under a bed. It should be examined occasionally.
    Mice, insects, spider, or other small critters may get into the muzzle and put a wad of whatever in there. I have seen a shotgun muzzle blown up by having snow in it. Not certain what a heavy dust bunny would do to it. Don't want to find out either.

Banned
    The gun is in a house, not outside, so I think it is relatively protected to start with.
    We can take a poll about the number of people that have left guns propped up behind doors for decades with no problems but I think it's fairly common.

This gun is in a house, under a bed.
    Maybe you should look at the gun from time to time...........
    Perhaps even shoot the ammunition and replace it occasionally......