WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need to split this forum up...

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well a pistol is a pistol ...... Except when it's a BFR in 45-70 or 30-30 or an RXP or a Contender in a super 14 in 30-06' ........ I guess thats why it says "and hand cannons" .

There is so much cross over now , 9mm rifles and revolvers for example but of course there's "always" been a 45 ACP pistol , revolver and rifle .

I think most that have been here any length of time know that we tend to be specific about the platform . Like 357 in an AMT is going to be more like 9mm than for M66 or 92' .

We've petitioned for a separate forum for the AR base for several years to no avail so I don't see getting hand guns split 3 ways either .

Just roll with the cruise and pass .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    Read what ya want. Ignore the rest.
    What he said ^^^

Banned

I think there is a general consensus.
    So + whatever to: it does not matter, read what you want, it ain't broke, and fracture it into another sub-forum as who really cares one way or the other.

Moderator Emeritus

This isn't a very active forum. There has only been 9 active threads in the last 24 hours. Some forums have activity that ranges from 25 to 50 active threads per 24 hours.

What I typically suggest when a member requests a new forum or sub-forum be split or "Spin-off" of an existing forum, is to get those who start threads on the subject, that you'd like split away from the existing forum, to make a title prefix to be descriptive to what you'd want to name the new forum be. In this case, "Semiauto:_______".
    Then, when the existing forum becomes cluttered with semiauto titled threads, a forum "spin off" will likely be created.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    My experience on most boards is that splitting up a forum is usually to the detriment of both new halves.

Boolit Master

I prefer it together. More of a chance that I will be exposed to something interesting that I haven't thought of. Only reason to separate it is if there is so much traffic that someone's question gets buried before it has a chance to be properly answered. We aren't there yet.

I guess I spend too much time reading Cast Boolits. I just Look at all "unread posts" since last visit and see what interests me. Usually only a hundred or so. That said, post an interesting title, and I read it. I seldom go to a specific forum.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    There is a section for wheelguns pistols and hand cannons.

Boolit Master

A lot of good points brought up.

I just noticed that threads that interest me and likely a lot of other younger self-defense enthusiasts get buried in here. I don't have time to open up every thread with an obscure title and see if it has to do with a semi-auto or a revolver.

Perhaps if there was a forum dedicated to semi-auto pistols, then it would get more traffic than the generic one that seems to contain a lot of very specific wheelgun content that doesn't apply.

But I realize that change is eschewed by most here. If my 83yr old dad was on the internet, he would be here, lol. Not in the wheelgun forum, since he dislikes pistols, but one of the 12(!) other forums having to do with cast boolits, or one of the 6(!) different forums on types of rifles.

It just seems odd that the site has six different forums for the different types of rifles, but only one forum for pistols.

Then again, the site does serve a very specific type of firearms enthusiast, like my dad, who has little interest in any pistol other than a 1911, and has decades of knowledge and experience in casting, loading, hunting, and competing with a variety of rifles.

So, it was just a suggestion and I understand if it's rejected.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

If this forum split up in 2 different directions then why not create the following: Wheelguns ONLY, Pistols ONLY, Non-production SS pistols, Rifles classified as pistols, ETC.. In other words you can dissect it any way you want but you're going to have some user(s) posting questions about wheelguns in the pistol forum and vice versa!

I wanted to see a forum specifically on "BRASS". All about BRASS (annealing, flaring, trimming, crimping, swaging, priming, cleaning, modifying, you name it! Is there one?
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    If this forum split up in 2 different directions then why not create the following: Wheelguns ONLY, Pistols ONLY, Non-production SS pistols, Rifles classified as pistols, ETC.. In other words you can dissect it any way you want but you're going to have some user(s) posting questions about wheelguns in the pistol forum and vice versa!

I wanted to see a forum specifically on "BRASS". All about BRASS (annealing, flaring, trimming, crimping, swaging, priming, cleaning, modifying, you name it! Is there one?
    Then do you think the 6 different forums on rifles should be combined into one? If not, then why not?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post

I just noticed that threads that interest me and likely a lot of other younger self-defense enthusiasts get buried in here. I don't have time to open up every thread with an obscure title and see if it has to do with a semi-auto or a revolver.

Perhaps if there was a forum dedicated to semi-auto pistols, then it would get more traffic than the generic one that seems to contain a lot of very specific wheelgun content that doesn't apply.

But I realize that change is eschewed by most here. If my 83yr old dad was on the internet, he would be here, lol. Not in the wheelgun forum, since he dislikes pistols, but one of the 12(!) other forums having to do with cast boolits, or one of the 6(!) different forums on types of rifles.

It just seems odd that the site has six different forums for the different types of rifles, but only one forum for pistols.

Then again, the site does serve a very specific type of firearms enthusiast, like my dad, who has little interest in any pistol other than a 1911, and has decades of knowledge and experience in casting, loading, hunting, and competing with a variety of rifles.

Just a note of semantics here and not meant to chastise you at all. Just trying to get everyone on the same page.

There are "Pistol", "Revolver" and "Single shot" handguns. Three distinct classifications of handgun. A "Pistol" is any semi-automatic handgun. Many use the term "pistol" to incorrectly identify any handgun. I think I see this usage in your post. This usage confuses those such as myself with pea brains.

At least that is my take on the subject. Happy to be educated if I am wrong.
    Last edited by corbinace; 04-10-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: clarity and typos

Boolit Master

What I'm suggesting is not an anomaly; it is quite common on other forums...

Attachment 239581

Attachment 239582

Quote Originally Posted by corbinace View Post
    Just a note of semantics here and not meant to chastise you at all. Just trying to get everyone on the same page.

There are "Pistol", "Revolver" and "Single shot" handguns. Three distinct classifications of handgun. A "Pistol" is any semi-automatic handgun. Many use the term "pistol" to incorrectly identify any handgun. I think I see this usage in your post. This usage confuses those such as myself with pea brains.

At least that is my take on the subject. Happy to be educated if I am wrong.
    Definition of a pistol by ATF-----https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-pistol

Firearms Verification
    Gun Control Act Definitions
    Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Note: This illustration shows the primary characteristics exhibited in the pistol category. Since pistol configurations differ significantly, various models in this classification may exhibit any of the illustrated components in a revised configuration, but not necessarily all components shown will be incorporated in any given design.

Image of an illustration showing a a semiautomatic pistol, a single shot pistol, a multi-barrel pistol and a barrel assembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gca-pistol.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	239584

Boolit Master

lets get serious, its not like there is so much traffic on this sub forum to require it to be split. as for people wanting to define what a pistol is, keep in mind the term existed long before revolvers came to be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post

Imagine that, 12 sub-forums for cast bullets on the Cast Boolits Forum. An outrage. Old people are the problem. If we had sub-par old-people sub-forums and super-optimum young-people sub-forums there would be no problems. Balkanize the forum by age and streamline the cast bullet aspect into a universal single forum.

Boolit Master
    Outpost 75 listed my sentiments so well he the saved me the trouble of typing.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banner Sponsor

I'm mostly a revolver fan, but I do enjoy some of the threads on semi-autos that I wouldn't see if they were split.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Definition of a pistol by ATF-----https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-gun-control-act-definition-pistol

Firearms Verification
    Gun Control Act Definitions
    Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

Note: This illustration shows the primary characteristics exhibited in the pistol category. Since pistol configurations differ significantly, various models in this classification may exhibit any of the illustrated components in a revised configuration, but not necessarily all components shown will be incorporated in any given design.

Image of an illustration showing a a semiautomatic pistol, a single shot pistol, a multi-barrel pistol and a barrel assembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gca-pistol.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	239584
    Thanks for the clarification Tazman. In retrospect, I guess I should have known that given lefty o's reminder.

That means I can call today a success, as I have learned my one thing new for today! Woohoo!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a problem with wheelguns and pistols...it's those pesky Handcannons that need a dedicated forum .

Only joking ...the Handcannons are welcome too.

Don't split them up , I like inclusive forum .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast