WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to buy a new Winchester, but which one?

You will like the 'Deluxe' I just picked mine up from a gunsmith friend that did a action/trigger job, fire blued all of the screws and made dovetail blanks from the barrel sight.
    First time out after gunsmith work, sighters are pasted settled in and took my best five shots @ 100 yd. in a long while with B/P. Adding a Hadley cup to the MVA sight made a huge difference. This has been one of the easiest rifles to get to shoot well. I t is dialed now to bang 10-10 200 yd. silhouette Rams.Don McDowell says I should get out to 300 yds. on a nice day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0034.jpg   IMG_0002.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Adding a Hadley cup to the MVA sight made a huge difference. This has been one of the easiest rifles to get to shoot well.
    Is that a medium or short rear sight? What front sight? I have a 92 in .45LC and was thinking of a similar setup.

Boolit Master
    That is great shooing with a beautiful rifle !

Boolit Bub
    Yes Randy I also want to know what make and Ht on the peep tang sight. I also just bought the deluxe like yours, but mine is in 45 Colt. Seems to shoot well. Bought mine from Buds Gun Shop. Couldn't beat his price. Plus free shipping. I will also check with a gunsmith about my trigger. You also said that that you removed the rear sight on the barrel, is that right? Did it interfere with the tang sight?

The rear is the MVA #133 vernier, I have used the MVA #110-111’s front sights for everything for years with the #133 windage front sight being my most elaborate. I recently put a couple of the #115’s front sights on and like them better. They ea have their own method of securing the aperature and are not compatible with ea. other. Knowing what I know now I would skip the 111’s and their different configurations and just go to the #115-116 front sights on any rifle I wish to use their products on.
    If your rifle has the tang safety,I am not aware of MVA providing a base for those rifles,I have the same rifle and would love to get a MVA base on it. The OP is absolutely correct in his choice with the tang factory drilled and tapped on the Win/Miroku 1873’s or the 1886’s.
    MVA does not list the base for the Win/Miroku 1873,order the base for the Win/Miroku 1885 the tang hole spacing is the same.
    Once you get the base you can use any of the MVA rear sights, I bought two of the smaller verniers for my Winchester’s with both having pistol grips,do note you will loose elevation with a P/G. They have a little over 2” of elevation,my sight settings are 96 @50 yds. 116@ 100 yds and 136 @ 200 yds. this is near max on the sight it might get to 250 yds. I also have a MVA L/R Soule and XL/R Soule I could mount and go the extra distance. I don't think that’s necessary for the 44-40 WCF. On the Hadley cups MVA offers,they offer two a Magnum and a regular. I have both and prefer the regular. the Magnums are big and only offer a few more openings than the regular cup. The big ones cover up your windage setting at 200 yds or less.
    Yes the barrel sight will interfere with a tang sight and needs to be removed for ranges 100 yds. or less. The tightest dovetails I have ever encountered are all on Win/Miroku front sights,unbelievable tight. The Wyoming Sight Drifter tool is an amazing tool to get those super tight dovetails to move. This tool makes it a breeze, best $40.00 for a tool I have ever spent.
    Also to note the price on the vernier sights include the base on the #130 verniers, this is confusing on the website as you have purchase the base separate with the Soule sights.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 04-16-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Looks like you got that worn out ol club working good.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12