Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Random thought shotgun casting thread

i was going to make shot this weekend but off to the bush to shoot some rabbits and if there not about ill build a fire make some coffee and cook some chicken legs on the coals.
    Time is not money when it is spent doing somthing one loves to do.

Cowboy coffee, ohhhhhhhhhh yeah. Made my morning just reminding me of the times I've done that.

Boolit Master
    I just added a Lee .562” and .575” double cavity roundball molds in our Midway cart for the next order . Hopefully those two with some combination of steel or lead wads will work for the 16 and 20 gauge .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Yes the cresant is side by side with factory 23 inch barrels.

Boolit Master
    I take it the Moose Minie comes from these folks ? https://moosemoulds.wixsite.com/mm2013/wadcutter-hb I’m thinking I can adapt the .695 or .715 to work in the SP-10 wad for my 10 gauge doubles .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 04-10-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    I just got off the phone with the Moose Molds folks , seem like very nice people . I’m waiting on a text or email from them letting me know what second pins would cost so I could have the option of hollow or solid base . I’m thinking the .69 wadcitter minnie in either .695 or .715 might be good for my 10’s sitting inside the SP-10 shotcup . And I need to get a measurement of the NOE/Lyman 525 Sabot Slug and see if they’ve got another close to that size and I can shoot them in the knockoff CB WAA12 . If these suit me I might see about one for the 16 that fits in the CB WAA16 and something along those lines for the 20 . On a side note they make a pretty decent amount of roundball choices .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 04-10-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

6pt:

Yes, that is the Moose Mine, and here are a couple links on testing the Moose Minie (.69 cal. x 535 grs.) and the Lyman .69 Minie (730 grs.) by the Taofledermaus guys on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUaBDBAhw8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9cV2q__Ks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bKg5_iX9A

Pretty impressive if you ask me! Most surprising was that the two Minies stabilized through smoothbore!

I now have a rifled choke tube and re-made one of my moulds to make a smooth sided copy of the Moose Minie.

I am pretty sure the Moose guys just scaled up the Lyman 315 gr. Minie to .69 as they are virtually the same except for diameter. Not that it matters, just making an observation.

Lyman .58 Minie:

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/lyman...-diameter.html

I figured I've tried lots of slug designs and so far I like round balls and HB designs because there is nothing else to do and cast slugs like cast boolits are very consistent. While i am a Brenneke fan, making them at home is not so easy and mostly that consistency thing is a problem with attached wads.

Anyway, got my mould re-built and cast Moose copy slugs so now to load up and see how they do from smoothbore. It will be a while before I have the choke tube adaptor mounted on a barrel so I can try the rifled choke tube.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    6pt:

Yes, that is the Moose Mine, and here are a couple links on testing the Moose Minie (.69 cal. x 535 grs.) and the Lyman .69 Minie (730 grs.) by the Taofledermaus guys on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZUaBDBAhw8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9cV2q__Ks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bKg5_iX9A

Pretty impressive if you ask me! Most surprising was that the two Minies stabilized through smoothbore!

I now have a rifled choke tube and re-made one of my moulds to make a smooth sided copy of the Moose Minie.

I am pretty sure the Moose guys just scaled up the Lyman 315 gr. Minie to .69 as they are virtually the same except for diameter. Not that it matters, just making an observation.

Lyman .58 Minie:

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/lyman...-diameter.html

I figured I've tried lots of slug designs and so far I like round balls and HB designs because there is nothing else to do and cast slugs like cast boolits are very consistent. While i am a Brenneke fan, making them at home is not so easy and mostly that consistency thing is a problem with attached wads.

Anyway, got my mould re-built and cast Moose copy slugs so now to load up and see how they do from smoothbore. It will be a while before I have the choke tube adaptor mounted on a barrel so I can try the rifled choke tube.

Longbow
    I measured my Rooskie knockoff Lyman 10 gauge sabot slug and it measures .718” so the Moose Wadcitter at .715” oughtta be okay inside the SP-10 wad . I measured the Lyman 525 that was cast in a Lyman single cavity and it was .680” so the Moose Wadcutter in .680-.685” oughtta be fine with the CB WAA12 wad . Measured the Rooskie knockoff 16 gauge sabot and it was .618” sorry to say they don’t have anything close to that other then a roundball which I might give some consideration . And finally I measured the Lyman 20 gauge sabot slug and got .575” and they do make a Moose Wadcutter at that diameter 315 grains . Incidentally I haves Lee .575 double cavity and a Lee .562 double cavity on the shops next order from Midway . I might just might delve into the 28 gauge world but if I do it will be just a roundball and possibly the Rooskie 28 gauge version of the Lyman sabot slug . But doing the 28 will be pushing it a bit for me .

Boolit Grand Master

Did you watch the videos?

While good accuracy and stability from rifled barrel and rifled choke tube is not too surprising, the stability of both the big Lyman .69 and the Moose .69 from smoothbore was!

Makes me wonder about the form... streamlined nose with big body. If it tips the profile of the nose must have far less drag than the body where typical Foster slugs wouldn't have quite that difference in drag. Seems to me anyway. We'll see how they do!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Moose 315 hb in 575 looks interesting... my luck with heavy 20 gauge slugs has not been good. Well, 315 is not that heavy but...

Anyway,my pot is hot and I'll make some more 575 balls to have 500 more soft ones to be coated. Winter came back with a foot of snow,got time for casting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Did you watch the videos?
    Yes I watched them . Can’t say I liked their range set up , awful lot of flat ground and I saw no backstop .

to wax cork/felt wads or not for a moden shotgun.
    Time is not money when it is spent doing somthing one loves to do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    i was going to make shot this weekend but off to the bush to shoot some rabbits and if there not about ill build a fire make some coffee and cook some chicken legs on the coals.
    Aye, mic has it figured out!!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    to wax cork/felt wads or not for a moden shotgun.
    I use them all the time for all sorts of stuff in my shotguns from 410 to 12g
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lately I been using a 2 395 RB load in a 410 with a stump wad, some felt as a gas seal, and an overshot card roll crimped. Really cool load over 15g of 2400... and rhe 2 balls are impacting about 2.5 inches apart at 30 yards.. recoil has some authority from the 410 single shot. One day I will chro these....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

I have three new moulds due to arrive today from Titan Reloading, a DC .310, a DC .452-200gr. and a .575 for my 20 gauge. I bought a SC .310 years back and use it to cast buckshot, as long as I was ordering moulds (and am currently out of buckshot) I thought I'd add the DC .310 to increase production. I know, Lee makes an 18 cavity mould for buckshot, BUT, then you have to cut the pellets off the stringers! The SC & DC moulds cut the sprue off cleanly with just a small flat on the pellet. Easier, I think, than trying to cut the nibs off a tiny buckshot pellet with my chubby fingers! LOL!

I was beginning to experiment last autumn with .690 RB loads in my 12 ga., having sussed out the .662 RB pretty well last summer. I'll continue with that when the large bright ball of fire brings warmth to the northern hemisphere again, soon I hope! But, I have a weekend of casting ahead of me and Starbucks in the coffee pot, life is good! Carry on mates!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    Just sent an order in to Moose Molds ordered one of their Wadcutter Minnies that .695-535 with a HB pin and an additional pin for solid base . Also ordered a Wadcutter Minnie that's .715-535 with the HB pin and an additional pin for solid base .

I would suspect I'll see them sometime late next week

https://moosemoulds.wixsite.com/mm2013/wadcutter-hb

I finally delivered my Navy job yesterday. So I'm free for the time being. I got the smoothbore barrel for the A5 sighted in with Federal Slugs so I can use it at Front Sight next week. I'm taking the camera so there will be pictures.

I have Lightfield and Brenneke slugs to shoot in the rifled barrel, and I really want to get the Lyman Sabot Slugs to shoot in a rifled barrel.

Lots to do now that the weather has turned nice for a while. It will be unbearable here soon.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I finally delivered my Navy job yesterday. So I'm free for the time being. I got the smoothbore barrel for the A5 sighted in with Federal Slugs so I can use it at Front Sight next week. I'm taking the camera so there will be pictures.

I have Lightfield and Brenneke slugs to shoot in the rifled barrel, and I really want to get the Lyman Sabot Slugs to shoot in a rifled barrel.

Lots to do now that the weather has turned nice for a while. It will be unbearable here soon.

Randy
    I'm not trying to tell you what to do , but if you're shooting factory Foster style slugs try the plain old Winchester slugs . The slug itself in those is a skoosh larger in diameter and "generally" most folks get better accuracy results .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Randy
    I feel for you, brother! We have it bad enough here in the North what with 5-6 months of winter, lake-effect snow, etc. But you guys down south freeze in the winter and get baked in the summer! EEEK!

unknown

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast