Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Issue with RCBS LAM 2 lube sizer

Boolit Buddy

Issue with RCBS LAM 2 lube sizer

Howdy folks-

I recently got a used but "new to me" RCBS LAM 2 lube sizer. It seems well built. However, I'm having trouble with the lube plunger/piston turning inside the lube chamber when I apply pressure to get the lube to flow (see picture below). It just spins rather than grab the sides of the chamber and move downward. In fact, I'm having trouble even getting it started down the lube pressure screw into the chamber. I'm using a lube heater and the existing lube in the chamber is relatively soft although I don't know what it is.

I've got a new O ring on the way from RCBS (what great customer service!) but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers about how to get it up and running.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Super Moderator

Once you screw the assembly (clockwise) into the reservoir, the handles will turn counter-clockwise to move the piston downward. You also might need to get the plunger threads engaged with the screw beforehand. Try that and see if it works.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Make sure the threads are engaged if all the way at the top it will just spin at times. Also i don't use a lube heater but will hit it with a hair dryer to soften lube if you get it too warm it will spin also . You may also try new o ring rcbs will send you some if you call.

Boolit Master

I just took mine apart to emulate your situation. No can do. I cannot get mine to advance above the "two blocked" condition where the Lube Plunger "spins" on the Lube Pressure Screw. It will not "spin".

In order to "spin" either the plunger or pressure screw has to stripped.

Not good and probably something the former owner didn't advertise. Figure out which is stripped and a call to RCBS Customer Service will put it right (at no cost to you).

Lube Plunger (part #8) or Lube Pressure Screw (part #6)

Note: I also added the "O" ring specifications to my parts list just in case I can't wait for RCBS and need to go to the hardware store. They are like $0.50 or less IIRC.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I believe his issue is that the o-ring isn't gripping the cylinder wall, so it spins, not moving downward, as the handle turns? I have had a similar issue, once I needed to replace my o-ring, and once I had my heater on too long. I use TAC1 lube and just a little heat will get it to work properly. Hope I am on the right track, hc18flyer

Boolit Master

hc - could be. Perhaps he does need the "O" ring replaced (RCBS to the rescue again). Could be too that the lube plunger is 2-blocked hard against the ends of the pressure screw.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Update- problem fixed. Land Owner is correct- the lube plunger was threaded too tightly against the upper end of the pressure screw. It took some doing, but I've got it loose. Once I got the lube plunger lowered so that it would contact the lube still in it, it ceased to spin. I've still got an O-ring coming from RCBS, too.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers,

Bill
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like he backed up the plunger until it was tight and removed the top nut. Once your done lubrisizing, just back the dog-bone back 2-3 turns to take the pressure off the lube. you shouldn't have to force the plunger if the lube is heated properly.

A tip as well if using small pistol boolits. Sometimes you have to turn #24 and 25 around to where its on top of the bottom portion to limit the downward travel of the ejector rod/Ram if you've adjusted it all the way up and still are getting lube everywhere.