MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Excess play around the guide pins

Excess play around the guide pins

I just acquired a Lyman 41 caliber mold and there is a little play around the hole where the guide pins go into the second half of the mold. Is there an easy fix for this?

Steve.........
    Last edited by Steve E; 04-09-2019 at 03:52 PM.
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Man
    Pics would help us give better advice, is hole"wallowed out", could setting pin deeper help?

Boolit Grand Master

Most times setting pins out a little deeper will help alignment. This is limited on the amount since at some point they will start to bind. Relining pins ( bushing) can be done but its a very precise job. Another way is to literally pin the blocks together in alignment and add 1-2 new pins to the blocks.

Boolit Grand Master

Another "fix" Ive seen done is to reverse the pins in the blocks. the back portion of the female holes are still good and the holes with the pins should be pretty close to new so the back portions of the female side should be close to new and the male side should have no wear. Here the pin switch should just require resetting the pins depth for alignment

Boolit Master
    I picked up a project 10 cavity H&G that had the alignment pin holes wobbled out pretty bad on the female side , but reversing the pins to the other half made it close and lineup like new .
    As country gent posted above .

I reversed the pins like country gent and toallmy said and it is tight as new. I tried to post a pic but it's not working for me right now. Thanks gentlemen for the advice.

Steve.........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

A little technique to make those holes last longer is a simple small piece of aluminum angle doesn't need to be big or heavy a piece 1/8" x 3/4 x 3/4 6"-8" long. set it wide end down or point up on your bench and when you close the mould set it on this rail to help pre align the pins. This get the pins pretty close and saves a lot of wear when closing.

I use a metal paint roller tray to drop bullets in and the rolled front edge does the same as the angle. I do this with all my moulds but on this one of yours it may be more important sice the above is a 1 time fix and the next repair is going to be much more work