Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danger at the range 2

Boolit Grand Master

Danger at the range 2

Range guy told me about another exciting thing that happened this past weekend.
    Guy was shooting a bold action rifle.
    Had a little problem opening the bolt.
    But it got better the more he shot.
    He said it was factory ammo he got a while ago.
    No idea how long he's owned the rifle.
    I got two boxes, One that he fired and a unfired box.
    Plan on pulling the heads and checking what's going on with the unfired box.
    Win Power Max 30.06 180gr PHP
    We're thinking the barrel was badly rusted causing high pressure.
    The more he shot, the clearer the barrel got.
    Either the guy didn't know better, or he had more guts that I do.
    He fired all 20 rounds from the box.
    Good thing it didn't blow.
    Attachment 239499Attachment 239500Attachment 239501

Boolit Grand Master

That is some heavy pressure sighs between the blown primers and ejector marks. hard to see for sure but head stamp appears ironed out some also. Ive seen some very rusty rough bores fired and not that kind of pressure increase. I'm wondering if the bore had a gummed oil or grease in it that was being worked out.

Boolit Master
    There's a couple folks in my area that carry a mallet in their range bags incase they need to get the bolt open. The young one was trying to imitate a factory loading for his 6.5x284 by pulling the bullet on factory ammo and trying that weight of all the powders he could purchase. Load em and shoot em. Said something about cracked locking lugs on the bolt after he got it open with the mallet.

This rascal is breeding too. Not even 30 and has been married 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    That is some heavy pressure sighs between the blown primers and ejector marks. hard to see for sure but head stamp appears ironed out some also. Ive seen some very rusty rough bores fired and not that kind of pressure increase. I'm wondering if the bore had a gummed oil or grease in it that was being worked out.
    Or the rifle is a 280 Remington.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

in Remebrance
    The secret to happiness: stay far away from stupid people. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Sitting around on a public range is more entertaining than hanging out by a public boat ramp.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I bet that his Bolt face looks like the surface of the Moon by now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Sitting around on a public range is more entertaining than hanging out by a public boat ramp.
    bring a cup of coffee!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have done some not to smart things over the years but can honestly say never done anything like that. Lucky fellow if not a bright one.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    There's a couple folks in my area that carry a mallet in their range bags incase they need to get the bolt open. The young one was trying to imitate a factory loading for his 6.5x284 by pulling the bullet on factory ammo and trying that weight of all the powders he could purchase. Load em and shoot em. Said something about cracked locking lugs on the bolt after he got it open with the mallet.

Wow, that's something special for sure.

If you look at my comment in the other "danger" thread where I said that was just stupidity, not much risk of blowing anything up, this one is actually really worrisome. Maybe the barrel was packed with grease?

Boolit Grand Master

No coffee but would bring a big piece of 1" lexan to hide behind LOL.

Years ago I had stared finding 308s with no neck shoulder left on them at our club. A straight walled 308 pretty much. primers didn't look to bad in them. Turns out a member had bought a converted garand at a show. It was converted with the navy insert pressed into the original 30-06 chamber. on firing at some point the insert pulled out and he was firing 308s in a 06 chamber

Boolit Master
    From the looks of that brass, he was a mouse fart away from being the not so proud owner of a pipe bomb.

Boolit Bub
    Spot on, the public boat ramp at Easter is a sight to behold.

Cheers Mark

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post

Maybe you should load him some ammo with full case of bullseye and tell him the heat generated will re weld his bolt lugs, you would be doing your country a favour. Regards Stephen

.....on a Sunday afternoon when they have been drinking all day.....and the tide is running at 3 knots.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    My crystal ball tells me he went to a gun show, and bought some hot reloads that were put back in a factory box.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

This funny ,it is one of the min reasons that I made my own range in my back yard. That way do not need to deal with things like that . But did see how some are at boat ramps and made sure to stay clear of them.I use my canoe and stay away from them.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    I did tell these fellas to at least tell folks they were going to shoot so they had the choice of getting out of the way. I said they needed to make sure at least 1 person was well behind them so somebody would be around to call the ambulance. They was getting into 50bmg the last I talked to them.

Boolit Master
    You need to see the public launch in Quilcene on the opening day of shrimp season on Hood Canal. I keep thinking I should sell peanuts at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    .....on a Sunday afternoon when they have been drinking all day.....and the tide is running at 3 knots.
    We're 300 miles from the ocean, but it's the same thing when folks come in off the lake after being out drinking all day.
    They look like lobsters, short tempered & about 1/2 mad, hungry, tired, and there's 5 or 6 of them in a ski boat.

The public range in Dallas is a big tourist attraction to foreign tourists from gun banned countries.

Range rules are:
    They must have one person with them that speaks fluent English.
    They rent hand guns & must buy ammo from the range, but almost none have ever fired a weapon before.

Its not for the meek,,,,,,, but if ya don't get scared and leave--- it is a hoot to watch them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast