RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1 carbine

Boolit Master

I would like to see the M1 Carbines come back into the country but I wish we had some other venue than CMP. They tend to overprice everything that they get their hands on. If your going to have to pay $1200.00 or more for one in good to very good condition, might as well go a little more and buy a completely re-furbished one from Fulton Armory or the new Inland version. I would like to have another one but I am not going to pay what is being asked for them right now. my .02 anyway, james

I had a mini14 and feel pretty much the same about it as some other do, I called it a "Barn rifle" because you could shoot it at a barn FROM INSIDE and still miss.

I was pissed when some lowlife stole it, but not too broken hearted.
    It was more of the same when the police recovered it and didn't give it back.

as for M1 carbines, I've owned two over the years, a Plainfield machine ( the predecessor to Iver Johnsons' poduction and an Iver Johnson that leans against my bedside Table, loaded with Norma Softpoint ammo.

The only used military carbine I've actually looked at seriously is one I've seen at my favorite LGS, It is a late Inland, but it has been rebored and rechambered to 45Winchester Magnum, which they are selling for an asking price of $850.

Frankly it scares the hell out of me as that little M1 with the power of a 45/70, or perhaps a bit more, it just sounds painful in a 5.5lb rifle.
    Last edited by AllanD; 04-15-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: addenda

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I had a mini14 and feel pretty much the same about it as some other do, I called it a "Barn rifle" because you could shoot it at a barn FROM INSIDE and still miss.

I was pissed when some lowlife stole it, but not too broken hearted.
    It was more of the same when the police recovered it and didn't give it back.

as for M1 carbines, I've owned two over the years, a Plainfield machine ( the predecessor to Iver Johnsons' poduction and an Iver Johnson that leans against my bedside Table, loaded with Norma Softpoint ammo.

The only used military carbine I've actually looked at seriously is one I've seen at my favorite LGS, It is a late Inland, but it has been rebored and rechambered to 45Winchester Magnum, which they are selling for an asking price of $850.

Frankly it scares the hell out of me as that little M1 with the power of a 45/70, or perhaps a bit more, it just sounds painful in a 5.5lb rifle.

I actually have a magazine article about a company making those in 45 Win Mag. IIRC, they talked about how they had to reinforce the recoil lug area because the stock would crack under the recoil.

Boolit Bub

I picked up an Underwood carbine at a local Gun Shop that was on consignment probably 20 years ago now for $350. Had a very so light import mark on the under side of the barrel. I still take it out every now and then when I have new shooters join me.

I would stay away from the LeMag .45 WinMag conversions. One blew apart in Finn Aagard's hands when he was test firing it for an article. Shoehorn a higher pressure larger round in an M1 carbine? No, no, and NO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12