Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 redesign

Boolit Buddy

Lee Pro 1000 redesign

All:

hey, did anyone buy/try/evaluate the new Lee Pro 1K 0.1 and 0.2?
    I see they added an alignment index pin (0.1) and a primer dump tube (0.2).

Just wanted to get some input.
    It seems though we are unable to upgrade our older systems. booooo

whaddya think?
    bill boy

USMC 77, USRA 79

I haven’t seen one in real life yet.. it wasn’t till you said something that I knew something was up.. I guess I need to get to town more
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

The new Pro1000 uses the same new base as the upgraded Value press and the new Auto Breech Lock Pro. They also rotated the Carrier around counter clockwise some and changed the ram so that the primers now drop out of the bottom. If Lee would have offered just the bare press I would have upgraded inStead I went with the new ABLP.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes. I did the same thing. I see that Lee and Midway offer the new Pro 1000 but it seems that we would have to buy the whole package, i.e., case feeder, auto disk, dies, etc. I dont need all that! As an older Lee fan boy (full disclosure) (cheap), I already have numerous, extra add-ons. I just really want the frame and carrier. I sent in a request to Lee Precision to see if I can buy the frame/carrier alone!

OTOH, the ABL is okay. It works. However, after a seemingly life long, arduous, struggle in learning the Pro 1K, I have now learned to love it. I think the alignment pin is a good thing. Why did this take so long?
    bill boy

Quote Originally Posted by soldierbilly1 View Post
    OTOH, the ABL is okay. It works. However, after a seemingly life long, arduous, struggle in learning the Pro 1K, I have now learned to love it.
    bill boy
    Yes, I have been using the ABLP for about 6 months now and am still struggling to adjust the on press priming. I keep forgetting to add a primer at the top of each stroke.. After the Pro1000 this seems like a step backwards. I did buy the ABLP because I needed a 4th station.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Yes, I have been using the ABLP for about 6 months now and am still struggling to adjust the on press priming. I keep forgetting to add a primer at the top of each stroke.. After the Pro1000 this seems like a step backwards. I did buy the ABLP because I needed a 4th station.
    I am up to about 4K on mine , took me a few hundred rounds of saying “ bullet , case , primer “ to build the habit. Installed the case feeder now I say “bullet , primer”
    What I like is I can tell by feel if a primer doesn’t feed from the safety prime , and can feel if no primer in the cup when seating , and it is easy to fix. On auto pistol cases I can see the primer through the flash hole. I loaded 400 9mm through it the other day I may have dropped 1 primer and forgot to feed a couple all were caught and corrected
    before dropping powder .
    Not as fast as my pro 1000 or loadmaster but I actually enjoy loading on it . I tend to be a slow and steady watching all the details kinda loader.
    For me it is probably 50 to 100% faster than LCT moving at what feels like a slower pace. The ABLP index’s the shell plate like the new pro1000 it does seem simpler and more trouble free.
    I like it , well worth the $109.00 I paid for basic press.
    Last edited by onelight; 04-08-2019 at 12:08 PM.

With out a doubt it fits in. I have and use a Lee 3 Hole turret, the Pro1000 and now the ABLP. I like them all and they all have a different purpose for me. But then all I ever load are pistol calibers so I really don't need a big burly single stage to reform brass for wildcats or trying to swag bullets..

As you say for the for the under $130.00 with a shell plate it's hard to beat as a progressive for pistols or even 223 were one wants to load a bunch fairly quickly. But again if I was one that was going thru 1k rounds per month every month then I would certainly be looking at a different solution.

I am one that may load 1k one month and then not load anything again for 2 months. so I really don't need a $600.00+ press just sitting doing nothing for 1/2 the year.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, Lee got back to me and indicated non-upgradeable, parts do not interchange, etc boo

Quote Originally Posted by soldierbilly1 View Post
    FWIW, Lee got back to me and indicated non-upgradeable, parts do not interchange, etc boo
    If you are referring to using the old model Carrier and shell plates on the new press you have been misled. The old carriers and shell plates can be used but it would require you to punch out the alignment pin from the base plate. That used to be stated on their website somewhere either in the FAQ or the carrier manuals. Now whether they have removed that bit of information or not I haven't checked. The new model shell plates and carriers are backwards compatible as-is.

Boolit Buddy
    KMW:

You are correct. This info is in the new Pro 1000 instructions on the website. The instructions for this issue could have been made clearer... In any case, down the road I will buy the new press and probably just dedicate it to my most used 9mm load.

bill boy