MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Build Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    LAGS - The two holes that are drilled in the lock align with the two holes in the side plate. I understand now that this in completely wrong, and that it should be attached with one hole through the bolster. I’m going to try to make this set up work, my concern is clearance for the trigger and sear near the rear bolt. The bolt is beyond the sear, so I think I’m ok. Worst situation is I plane the back of the stock to eliminate the lock plate inletting, fill the holes, and start over. A very nice brass side plate was in with the parts I got, no idea why they did what they did. Once my inletting black arrives, I will work on moving back the barrel, and inletting the tang. The lock inletting seems ok, with the flash pan snug to the side of the barrel. Note this is a straight sided vs a swamped barrel, thank goodness.
    Last year I "built" a Traditions Kentucky rifle from one of their kits. It's one of the European made kits and the lock that came with it is a two-bolt unit, one in front, one in back. The lock isn't high quality compare to Siler and others but it works. Whoever started on yours may have seen a lock mounted like my Kentucky rifle and thought it was the right way to do it.

I also agree with LAGS on gathering all the info you can before buying parts or working on the kit. Having a solid plan in place before hand saves missteps down the road.

Also, lipstick can be used in place of inletting black. I did a second rifle last year that I built from ebay parts and a plank of tulip poplar from a tree I cut down in the yard and it worked fine for me.

Boolit Master
    @ Taco650.
    I agree with using what is on hand.
    A friend wanted a Light Colored stock built, but didn't want to wait for me to find a blank, or pay the price for what they cost.
    So I built him a stock out of some Trunk Wood I had trimmed off a Jacaranda tree I was cutting down in my front yard over the past year.
    I didn't tell him where I got the wood, but he was more than amazed on how it turned out.

Boolit Buddy
    Monday 4/22 update: Spent the past 5 days draw filing the top 5 flats of the barrel prior to seeing the gunsmith on Wednesday. Also worked on tuning the Siler lock, as the frizzen was way too tight and wouldn’t fully open. Took my time with a very fine 00 file and stones until it moved smoothly, then quit. Lock throws a nice shower of sparks, and frizzen now flips fully open. Looking forward to Wednesday’s visit to the gunsmith.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you set the hook. Keep us posted and boy are you going to have some satisfaction when you're finished the build.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @ Taco650.
    I agree with using what is on hand.
    A friend wanted a Light Colored stock built, but didn't want to wait for me to find a blank, or pay the price for what they cost.
    So I built him a stock out of some Trunk Wood I had trimmed off a Jacaranda tree I was cutting down in my front yard over the past year.
    I didn't tell him where I got the wood, but he was more than amazed on how it turned out.
    I stained my tulip poplar stock with dark stain from something left from another project. The color is in the walnut family but my stock doesn't look like walnut due to the grain but I don't care because I made myself and I'm just proud that it works! Shot it the other day for the first time and was thrilled!

Boolit Buddy
    April 25 Update. Met with the gunsmith today, and think I now have a plan. Like a couple comments here, he has had very poor experience with the Roman nose style stock that I have. My Douglas barrel and Silar lock are high quality pieces, and he recommended swallowing hard and trashing my stock and starting over. We then spent 30 minutes with his personal long-rifles, so I could get an idea what style I like and how they all handle. My favorite was a Beck style Pennsylvania rifle, and he gave me an old copy of the Trail of the Wolf catalog and Dixon’s builders guide to borrow and read. He told me to come back once I have a new partially inletted stock, and he would walk me through getting the barrel set and pinned, and the lock properly installed. So, the journey now begins with a search for a Beck or Lebanon-Lancaster stock. Great day with a very nice gentleman.

Boolit Master
    I bet you could sell your stock, and recoup some of your money.
    It may not be much, but it is better than using it to make Charcoal for making your black powder.
    Treat your gunsmith Well.
    Take him and his crew a Pizza next time you are in.

Boolit Master
    Beck is a very comfortable pattern stock. You might also want to look at a Hanes - Lancaster pattern. Issac Hanes was a Lancaster smith from 1770 to 1790. The front ends of both stocks would be about the same the difference is the butts with the plate of the Beck being a little more narrower and curved than the Hanes. My two best builds are a .40 cal J P Beck with a 42" green mountain barrel,brass furniture, Davis set triggers and siler percussion lock and a Issac Hanes .50 cal with a 38" swamped green mountain barrel,iron furniture,Davis siler flintlock, Davis set triggers. Both are stocked in curly maple and the Hanes I turned into a convertible with a drum and siler percussion lock.

Boolit Buddy
    Hawkeye, my challenge may be finding a pre-inlet stock in those patterns for my barrel (straight, 13/16, 45cal). Looks like my only TOW choice with a large Siler lock is Jacob Dickert, although my barrel is 44” not 42”. Their Haines and Beck stocks are only for swamped barrels. Need to check out some other suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Beck is a very comfortable pattern stock. You might also want to look at a Hanes - Lancaster pattern. Issac Hanes was a Lancaster smith from 1770 to 1790. The front ends of both stocks would be about the same the difference is the butts with the plate of the Beck being a little more narrower and curved than the Hanes. My two best builds are a .40 cal J P Beck with a 42" green mountain barrel,brass furniture, Davis set triggers and siler percussion lock and a Issac Hanes .50 cal with a 38" swamped green mountain barrel,iron furniture,Davis siler flintlock, Davis set triggers. Both are stocked in curly maple and the Hanes I turned into a convertible with a drum and siler percussion lock.

Boolit Master
    Try Tip Curtis frontier shop in Cross Plains Tn. He's who I got my stuff from and he's got a lot of pre inlet stocks. Also a company called tigerhut has pre inlet stocks. There is a colonial market fair at ft frederick Md this weekend and I think tigerhut will be set up there. Tip used to go there also but he's in his mid 80's now and not traveling to the fort or Dixions anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    April 29th update. Tip Curtis didn’t have a stock that would work for me, however he gave me the contact info for Knob Mountain Muzzleloading in Berwick, PA. I spoke to the owner there today, and he can do the J.P. Beck stock profiling and barrel inletting and ramrod milling and drilling for me, either with my wood or wood he supplies. Really nice fellow. So now to decide on wood. I may have access to some old cherry.

Boolit Grand Master

If the cherry is thick enough for a stock it is classic and very nice if you like the color it turns. I prefer tiger maple personally, but a nice cherry stock is beautiful.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    May 28 update - Got an email from Track of the Wolf on Friday that a grade 3 fully inlet Jacob Dickert stock was available, and ordered it up. While I wanted the Beck design, this seems pretty close and I frankly wimped out of having to fully inlet the lock from scratch. I also ordered two new breech plugs, as I’m not sure what thread I have. I’m now holding my breath that the lock inletting is close to the shape of my large Siler lock. I have since found out that my lock and Douglas barrel are circa 1976, as the gentleman I bought from mailed me some documents that he found. I have ordered a screw slot file, and am planning to make a plug screw to fill in the incorrect hole near the rear of the lock using some green Loctite and filing it flush. While waiting for all the parts and file to arrive, today I forged a piece of sterling silver bar flat and am cutting out a hunter’s star to inlay above the cheek rest. It’s been so much fun, I think I will make a lock screw plate from sterling silver also. Will update again after the stock arrives. Should have all the major components to the gunsmith in a few weeks. In the meantime, back to novice silversmithing!

Thanks for the update!! ������

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 242549

First time working in silver, really happy with it! Just needs a bit of filing and some polishing.
    Last edited by Jkrem; 05-28-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the update and good looking star. With that kinda talent this is gonna be a sweet looking rifle when your finished.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    Attachment 242549

First time working in silver, really happy with it! Just needs a bit of filing and some polishing.
    Do final filing and polishing after it is inlet.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

What is the thickness of that star to be inlaid?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    What is the thickness of that star to be inlaid?
    Dondiego, the star thickness is 1.6mm, it weighs .26 ozT. I just made a side plate that I’d like try too, it is 1.7mm, and 0.21 ozT. Attachment 242991

As an update, my M3 Dickert fully inletted stock arrived from Track of the Wolf. It’s really nice, and is figured stem to stern as described. Fully inletted is a relative description, my Siler lock is on the big size I guess and will need some more work. Anyone have an extra mainspring vise to sell/trade?

Boolit Buddy
    June 11 update - New package from track of the Wolf yesterday, a Davis double set trigger, two 8-32 lock plate screws (in case mine are too short), and their very nicely made English style lock spring vise. Now that the lock is safely apart and the parts marked and stored, I can better see that the lock inletting appears only slightly off for my Siler lock. I’m hoping to get the barrel and breech plugs to my gunsmith this Thursday or Friday to remove the old breech plug, and install the correct sized replacement plug (bought both him both 5/8 and 9/16 plugs). Other than some pins and the tang bolt, I think I now have all the parts for a functioning gun. Still need to decide on buttplate, sideplate, and toeplate. I’m continuing to cleanup my handmade silver furniture, and reading and watching YouTube videos on barrel inletting which will be the first step once I get my barrel back. I’ll need to make sure the pan lines up in front of the plug as I’m inletting the barrel, since my lock mortising is probably 90%. One builder on YouTube with. TOW inletted stock inlet the lock first, then inlet the barrel to make sure pan alignment was correct. Plan to get some advise from the gunsmith on my parts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast