Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Taylors, Cimmaron, Chiappa 92s.

Boolit Buddy

Taylors, Cimmaron, Chiappa 92s.

Hi all. 👋

I’m on the slow road to eventually buying a big bore lever gun. 1892. I was seriously looking at the Henrys but they are just not quite right to me. Long story short, I made a friend at the range the other day that had a Chiappa 92 in 45colt. It was 24”c octagonal barrel, “case hardened” receiver and it was a take down. This was the most correct copy of a 92 I’ve seen in a long time, the action was smooth, it was accurate as can be and just a down right will put together rifle. He did say the trigger was pretty rough but he smooth it out real easy. He was also shooting “ruger only” 45c loads out of it. I think I might have to have one of these rifles. Anyone got one, share your experience.

Do they make one in 44mag?
    👍🏼

Wow! What a long time to wait for someone to respond! I have a Chaippa .45 Colt 1892 replica, but mine is a carbine. I am happy with it in all respects as far as machining, function, and finish. It shoots quite well. The only complaint I have is that the walnut stock is not quite the quality I would wish it to be, and they had one of those stickers on the forearm like Winchesters now days have on the barrel. When I peeled it off it took the top layer of finish with it. Mine is a Cimarron. The stock situation may just be this one specimen, so I wouldn't let that stop me from buying an otherwise nice rifle.

I found a Puma 92 in 454 Casull at the local gun store. Can't wait to fire it. Having trouble finding ammo for it without going on line. May be the new Black Bear rifle...but I still like the 4570 too.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Are the Winchester/Browning 92's out of the question? Other than the rebounding hammer and tang safety they seem very nice.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The Chiappa '92 takedown has caught my eye for quite a while. Anyone else had experience with Chiappas?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    The Chiappa '92 takedown has caught my eye for quite a while. Anyone else had experience with Chiappas?
    The one I delt with was a peach. Really a very nice rifle. I say go for it.
    👍🏼

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GL49 View Post
    The only Chiapas I have experience with was a baby sharps in 22lr .
    I am sad to say I was pretty disappointed in it. It was a beautiful gun on the outside but on the inside was not , the bore was the roughest I have ever seen a lot of chatter and would shred patches when cleaning. A small part in the lock broke within a hundred rounds and when I disassembled the lock 3 of the screws came out with no threads these were absolutely the softest screws I have ever seen. Taylor’s got me the replacement parts at no charge but Chiappa required all defective parts be returned and the replacements were back ordered. I found this all disappointing on a $1200. 22lr.
    I think Taylor’s did the best they could for me and hopefully my Chiappa was not representative of the whole line. But I am soured on them.

Boolit Grand Master

How long ago did you buy it? I looked at them several years ago but given the Chiappia reputation and the price I didn't bite. I have read that Chiappia has improved their metalurgy lately and simply wondered how recent your experience is.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    How long ago did you buy it? I looked at them several years ago but given the Chiappia reputation and the price I didn't bite. I have read that Chiappia has improved their metalurgy lately and simply wondered how recent your experience is.
    Probably about 18 months ago.

Boolit Mold
    I tried going to repro route with the Rossi 92. Just wasn't happy with it so I moved it along and found an original 1892.

Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    I found a Puma 92 in 454 Casull at the local gun store. Can't wait to fire it. Having trouble finding ammo for it without going on line. May be the new Black Bear rifle...but I still like the 4570 too.
    Can 45 Colt or Schofield feed through this rifle? May be a less expensive and more available option.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Can 45 Colt or Schofield feed through this rifle? May be a less expensive and more available option.
    They will shoot 45 colt not sure about schofield they also load through a port in the magazine tube like the Henry’s. They may not be in production right now it is hard to tell from Rossi’s web sight. There seem to be a few around but they bring a premium.
    The Rossi 92s are in my opinion a working mans tool compared to the best Italian reproductions that to me are a work of art in a completely different class than the Rossi and I have and like my stainless 357 Rossi 92.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    WE have 2 Chiappas. First is a #4xxx in 50-95 that shoots cloverleafs at 100 yards with our 3F load and a 350 grain slug. Does near the same with a same FPS load of 5744.
    Other is a MONTE version in 45-60. Another #4xxx that shoots the same 3F load but better than our original 1876 which has a descent bore.

WE also have 3 Rossi 92's in 45 Colt. They each function fine and shoot any reasonable cast load of proper diameter out to 100 yards around 3 inches and better if I can keep my wiggles under control behind cross sticks.
    Then there is a Winchester (jap) in 45 Colt that shoots no better than any other. Has a 24" barrel and a real .452- barrel.

Personally If I think I need a 45-70 power in a light weight rifle I get out a Marlin. You start punching out 320+ grainers at 1800 fps+ in a 6 pound Rossi carbine you are gonna pay a price in your body and your carbine. The 92 receiver / bolt lockup will stretch over time of abuse.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I too had a chatter bore Chiappa , it is a double badger, I thought the bore looked kind of strange , chatter marks is a good description. it would not group within so many inches at 15 yards . I kind of buggered it trying to get the 22 barrel out to replace it. Its a work in progress .

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .44 mag Chiappa Alaskan and I like it. Even put a Burris FastFire on it to offend the purists

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    It will fire 45 Colt, but not sure about the Schofield. I intend to shoot mostly 45 Colt, but will come in handy being able to hunt bear or moose with the 454.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    They will shoot 45 colt not sure about schofield they also load through a port in the magazine tube like the Henry’s. They may not be in production right now it is hard to tell from Rossi’s web sight. There seem to be a few around but they bring a premium.
    The Rossi 92s are in my opinion a working mans tool compared to the best Italian reproductions that to me are a work of art in a completely different class than the Rossi and I have and like my stainless 357 Rossi 92.

Yes it will shoot 45 Colt, but not sure about the Schofield. Interesting that you talk about the tube feeding through the magazine....this rifle has both: A loading gate on the side (Like a Winchester) AND a tube load magazine (Like a Henry). Best of both worlds...

Boolit Master
    Chainsaw, i had a stainless 16" in .45 colt. It weighed 5lbs. Was very handy to carry and easy to hit with. Was a bit of a kicker with 255gr FP's at 1600fps til i put a pad on it. I tamed the loads down 1000fps with both 200 and 255 gr boolits. Lots more pleasant to shoot and plink that way.